Why I'll Never Drink CoopersBeer Again

Nothing strikes to the core of a social drinker’s heart quite like learning that your pale ale of choice is problematic and unsupportive of your ongoing quest to marry the person you love.

It all started with the bizarre video from the Bible Society’s new ‘Keeping It Light’ campaign, which appears to double-up as native advertising for Coopers beer.

While some have been quick to pipe up that it’s, y’know, completely within a beer company’s rights to support The Bible Society (100% true) and produce confusing digital content that simply alienates a mass demographic of cashed-up consumers, it’s within my rights as a beer-drinker to take my business (and unfortunately I am business) elsewhere.

Why? Simply because human rights shouldn’t be the subject of debate – and for a brand to throw their weight behind a video that trivialises this debate (one that allows parents to fall off the perch every day without the chance to watch their children get married) is nothing short of a slap to the proverbial.

Of course, Coopers have been quick to understate their involvement with the bizarre video, which features Liberal MPs Tim Wilson and Andrew Hastie jovially debating the merits and supposed pitfalls of marriage equality at a Parliament House cafe – with the moderator reading from an open Bible.

“With regards to the ‘Keeping it Light’ video from the Bible Society featuring Andrew Hastie and Tim Wilson, this is a light hearted but balanced debate about an important topic within Australia,” one statement from the brewery read.

“Coopers isn’t trying to push religious messages or change your beliefs by celebrating 200 years of charitable work undertaken by the Bible Society, in fact, over the years we have produced a number of different celebratory cans to recognise the historical achievements of a vast array of different organisations.”

“We want you to know that Coopers did not give permission for our Premium Light beer to feature in, or ‘sponsor’ the Bible Society’s ‘Keeping it Light’ video featuring Andrew Hastie and Tim Wilson,” a second statement said.

“We respect the beliefs of our community and do not wish to try and change them.”

As mindful drinkers across the country look into countless alternative (and socially ethical) offerings from local breweries (I bought a six-pack of Young Henry’s pale ale last night and enjoyed it thoroughly), some venues have announced their intentions to re-evaluate their respective relationships with Coopers.

Oh, and for those interested, here’s a list of donations made by Coopers to The Bible Society over the years. Sure, this is within their rights. But it’s within ours to consider the possible ramifications of such support next time we’re reaching for a cold one.

Comments

DougBear

DougBear said on the 13th

I'm not at all sure that a manufacturer and peddler of a potent drug, implicated in more marital breakdowns, violence against women, sexual assaults and child abuse than any other in Australia, is someone whose involvement in the marriage equality issue is of the slightest value. Not sure how it squares with their stance as "followers of Jesus" either

Barrin

Barrin said on the 13th

Tim Wilson is enough to put me off anything.

wysi

wysi said on the 13th

LOL I don't Australian beer in general.

I prefer Belgian / Italian / German beers and French wine. ;)

local_warming

local_warming said on the 13th

LOL I don't Australian beer in general.

I prefer Belgian / Italian / German beers and French wine. ;)

Jesus. Do you only use Windex from the Netherlands as well? Only use dishwashing liquid from Norway perhaps? Toilet cleaner from Denmark?

wysi

Facewash2 - Canada
Mask - U.S.A.
Soap - Thailand
Deodorant - Philippines
Shower lotion - Spain
Shampoo - Thailand

I challenge you to do the same --- examine which countries supply your stuff.

local_warming

local_warming said on the 13th

One answer - Coles or Woolworths

Barrin

Barrin said on the 13th

Obvious answer - Aldi.

local_warming

local_warming said on the 13th

I still haven't been there yet actually. Even though I regularly go to the Coles in the Eastgate shopping centre in Bondi Junction, which has an Aldi on the floor above Coles

Barrin

Barrin said on the 13th

I walk through the Aldi at Marrickville Metro occasionally. Have never bought there but it's a novel experience. Like shopping in Europe or the USA. You feel like a tourist.
Prices are definitely lower but the brands are unfamiliar. I'll stick to what I know for the few extra dollars.

wysi

wysi said on the 13th

Depends on what's on special and what flybuys offers I have which could translate to 25% discount on top of whatever discounts the specials are offering.

Otherwise I shop at Woolies because I get a work-provided benefit of a 5% discount on their WISH giftcards which I use to buy groceries or top up my Opal.

And I delay paying for my purchaes and bills by periodically taking advantage of 0% purchase offers on credit cards which I perptually roll over into 0% balance transfers. That way I conserve a lot of cash and build up big savings in my offset account which saves a lot of interest tax-free.

In other words I have a huge amount of tax-free interest-saving cash in my bank account that's funded by 0% interest credit card debt that gives me hundreds of thousands of introductory frequent flyer points, annual holidays, lounge access and complimentary insurance products. :eek:

As you know, I have a very tight grip on my financials.

wysi

wysi said on the 13th

There's an Aldi on Oxford Street in what used to be an unknown grocery shop.

They don't accept AMEX and you have to bring your own bag so I avoid them.

TheOldie said on the 13th

I used to do that but one day decided to try

things like cling wrap/alfoil/baking paper/bleach/sugar/mushrooms even are all cheap and no real difference

I buy their red salmon/tuna when they have their own sale on it as its way cheap

dont like their meat , I found it tough.

Olga's Chicken Patties are like the ones you used to get at Butchers years ago.

But thats about it . All my tissues/loo paper/tea/milk I get at Woolies.

They do have choc peanuts/dark chocolate/sweet n sour strips that some at work love and say its 1/2 the
price of the main Supermarkets.

I laugh when I do buy those goods as I have a big bag full of stuff and they ask for $23 or similar.

and some goods are in packets very similar to name brands in the other supermarkets just a different name.

TheOldie said on the 14th

seems money talks.............. who'd have thunk

Australia's largest independent brewery has distanced itself and the Bible Society's "debate" video, after popular bars and clubs announced they would boycott Coopers.

The brand features in the gay marriage debate video, titled “Keeping it Light”, a political marketing stunt released on Friday, which has seen incredible backlash since it was uploaded.

On Tuesday night the brewery's managing director, Dr Tim Cooper, and its financial and corporate affairs director Melanie Cooper, appeared in a video to say they were "incredibly saddened" their beer had been tarnished as a result of the video.

zielwolf

zielwolf said this month on Mon 20th

Never say never...What if you're at a pop-up venue sponsored by Coopers and the only beer sold is Coopers? How can honestly you say never? What are you going to drink instead? Orange juice?? There is such a thing as over-reacting...

flounder

flounder said last Tuesday

I was in Adelaide last week and unaware of the ferfuffle, so drank lovely Coopers Pale Ale on tap everywhere. My bad? :confused:

local_warming

local_warming said last Wednesday

Perhaps histrionics don't travel that far

jabbajaboo

Facewash2 - Canada
Mask - U.S.A.
Soap - Thailand
Deodorant - Philippines
Shower lotion - Spain
Shampoo - Thailand

I challenge you to do the same --- examine which countries supply your stuff.

But are they produced by companies owned by multinationals like Unilever? Just saying

Doolander

Doolander said last Thursday

As you know I'm on my travels in various areas and sometimes Coopers is the better of the bunch... So I'm on par with what you're saying...