Lisa Williams Sees Dead People

It’s a balmy September night in Brisbane and medium and clairvoyant Lisa Williams peers out into an audience of 1500 at City Hall. “I have a young female spirit with me who hung herself,” says Lisa, rubbing her throat, as if it’s sore. “She wants to get a message to her mum. Can anybody relate to this?” Some hands go up, and one by one Lisa dismisses them. Finally, up the back of the auditorium, a woman stands, trembling. Before uttering a word Lisa tells her, “Yes, it’s you – she’s telling me ‘that’s her, that’s my Mum!’”

And so the story unfolds, with Lisa talking of how the young woman committed suicide after breaking up with her boyfriend. “She’s saying she’s sorry, that there’s nothing you could have done, that you have to stop feeling guilty.” Lisa then announces the arrival of a second spirit. “He says he’s your brother.”

The woman nods. “He hung himself too.”

“And Mum’s here as well!” It’s then that the woman breaks down sobbing. “Wait, I’m coming down there,” says Lisa, walking from the stage. “Someone help get her out to the aisle.” The woman collapses into Lisa’s arms and for a moment they hug. Lisa assures the woman that her deceased relatives aren’t in hell for committing suicide, that the three of them are all looking after each other, and that they’ll be waiting for her when it’s her turn. “Also, have you had your hair done recently? Because they keep on commenting on it,” says Lisa.

The woman turns bright red and laughs, “I’m actually wearing one of Mum’s old wigs!” The crowd roars with laughter, and the woman returns to her seat beaming, telling Lisa, “you don’t know what this means to me.”

Lisa is a medium and clairvoyant, which means that she can see into the past and the future, and can communicate with people who have died. You can either believe that, or not, she isn’t fazed. The success of Lisa’s TV series ‘Life Among The Dead’ and ‘Voices From The Other Side’ have seen her thrust onto the world stage, and she can barely keep up with the demand. She says that international exposure wasn’t something she set out to achieve – it found her when she did a reading for someone who worked in TV.

“I do still give private readings, but these days I have a waiting list that’s miles long. If I am at a meet and greet and I have a message for someone there I’ll give it to them. And I do have an online group of members and I will give away one reading a month… But fundamentally this is why I now do my live shows, because that’s the best way that I can reach a large number of people at a time.”

Lisa says she can remember seeing dead people as early as three years old. At first she thought it was something everyone could do, and it took her years to come to grips with it. “My grandmother was the same, she had this gift as well. I remember before she passed she told me ‘one day you are going to carry on my work and you’re going to be famous around the world for doing it’. At the time I thought ‘what a load of rubbish’.”

For years Lisa tried her best to ignore the spirits who were constantly vying for her attention, however these days she’s known for stopping strangers in the street and delivering messages from deceased loved ones, everyone from young children, to old school buddies and parents.

Lisa has already toured Australia once this year, and describes the experience as ‘phenomenal’.

“I did two shows in Sydney, two in Melbourne and they all sold out in a few days. I donated all the proceeds to the bushfires appeal, something like $65,000 – and that was amazing. The number of people in Australia who embrace the spiritual lifestyle was absolutely incredible. I do remember one particular reading, I think it was in Melbourne. It was the last reading of the night where I said ‘we have a skeptic over in this area of the audience and I need to speak to you sir’ and this guy looked up at me and said, ‘Who me? How do you know I’m a skeptic?’ and I said ‘well your father’s telling me this’. Well you could have knocked him over with a feather. The whole family stood up, there were tears, laughter – it was funny – really, really lovely. That reading turned a lot of skeptics into believers.”

Over the years Lisa has been challenged by many skeptics, including her own father. “He’s one of the biggest skeptics around!” she laughs. “But Dad has also seen first hand what I can do, and he’s seen how I give people a feeling of closure, and he says ‘you know what Lisa, I can’t take that away from you’.”

One of the most public challenges Lisa has faced was with a skeptic named Laura on an episode of ‘The Oprah Winfrey Show’. Lisa said that during the reading she kept offering Laura details that should have resonated – like her father’s name, or that he was a ballroom dancer – but Laura remained unconvinced, and was intent on getting cold, hard facts.

“I gave her the name John, but she wanted his full name, that kind of thing. I told her ‘I am only telling you what he is giving me, I can’t make it change’. I almost got up and walked away. I said, ‘if you’re not open to this then there’s no point in me being here’.”

Lisa says that she often reads comments about her in online forums, where people dispute her authenticity. “People say ‘oh Lisa Williams gets all the ticket data and uses that to do background checks on people who come to her show’. Well hello, it’s just me. I don’t have a team of researchers. I certainly don’t put microphones in the bathrooms or under the seats. I laugh at it. Of course, when it comes to TV, the producers get given a certain story. The talent tells them ‘I want to communicate with my mum because of…’ but often there’s another story that comes out or that I bring out.

“And also, people don’t realise just what goes on behind the scenes. The TV producers keep me right away from the talent, they take measures to make sure that I don’t see any of the call sheets or any of the information. There’s a make up artist who goes to check that my client is camera ready and who comes to tell me, but there’s a person who stands outside my dressing room the entire time listening to every little piece of conversation. If anything was slipped then that make up artist would be fired. It’s actually happened before where a make up artist slipped me a piece of information unwittingly – they said ‘oh you’re gonna love this woman, she’s so lovely, it’s so sad about her dad’. That person was taken off the show just for saying that piece of information. I think people need to realise that it is really very genuine and what you see is what you get.”

So, what insight does she have into the big questions like, ‘what’s the meaning of life?’ or ‘what happens when we die?’

“You know what? I don’t think any human being could know what the meaning of life is. It’s such a complicated question. As for the afterlife, well, I only know what the spirits tell me. They tell me that their loved ones were waiting for them when they died, that they go towards the light, that they listen when loved ones talk to them, that in the afterlife their pain is gone. Spirits basically fall into two categories – there are those that get stuck here, which often happens with suicides, and those that move over and come back occasionally to communicate with us. I’ve had a near death experience and so I can assure you, where we go afterwards is a very phenomenal place.”

Lisa Williams remaining Australian tour dates are as follows:
Tues, Sept 22, 2009 – Arts Centre, Gold Coast
Thurs, Sept 24, 2009 – Hamer Hall, Melbourne
Fri, Sept 25, 2009 – Hamer Hall, Melbourne

Sat, Sept 26, 2009 – Convention Centre, Adelaide
Sun, Sept 27, 2009 – Llewellyn Theatre, Canberra
Tues, Sept 29, 2009 – State Theatre, Sydney
Wed, Sept 30, 2009 – State Theatre, Sydney

Comments

marky markywicz

marky markywicz said on the 11th Aug, 2009

she, good... wonderful gift.

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

If Lisa is using deductive psychology to 'intuit' her information, she's cruel lady but a brilliant story-teller.
If Lisa is genuine she should be ashamed of profiteering from her supernatural gift.
If I had psychic powers I wouldn't parade them for all to see, I wouldn't accept money for my works. I'd be selective, discreet & I certainly would NOT film these sessions, nor would I go on tour like a rock star.

Either way, fake or genuine this Lisa Williams is a business woman. Let's not forget that.

Travis de Jonk

Travis de Jonk said on the 11th Aug, 2009

Great article! I'd love to see her live... she just beams!

Travis de Jonk

Travis de Jonk said on the 11th Aug, 2009

We are lied to on the news, by big corporations, by our government... that's the kind of bull we can all do without. Regardless of what you believe, at least Lisa gives hope and does some good in the world.

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

Her modus operandi is formulatic.
She gets excited, she sways her hands, she interrupts herself, she describes visual imagery and she always starts with 'He's now telling me that....' to support the excitable outburst she's just relayed back to the 'talent'.
The message is ALWAYS going to be the same 'The spirit is telling me it's OK now for you to move on with your life'. She's telling the recipients exactly what they want/need psychologically to hear. Who wouldn't want believe that? It's a beautiful message, yeah, but it seems more like deductive reminiscence therapy, probably not psychic healing, though. I know, I've studied psychology, I could easily fake being psychic...

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

I would LOVE it if Lisa got in touch with a spirit and the spirit told their loved one 'Look, I never really loved you! Deal with it!' lol

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor said on the 11th Aug, 2009

not all her readings are like that ash, she does all sorts of things - and what the spirits say is not always pretty... from telling some people that they were the product of rape, discussing suicide in intimate detail - things that she could not have possibly guessed... the way i look at it, it's very hard to create a hoax this elaborate, and if she was doing it for money would she really be giving away the profits, like her $65000 donation to the bushfires? i think it's great that she's getting out there and making her gifts public. and ash, i would love to see you fake being psychic! i think we'd all love to see that! you think you could do what lisa does? i bet everything i own that you couldn't.

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

I must admit Lisa is very charismatic, nurturing & has a genuine disposition. I'd find it hard not to succumb to her vibe in person. I think when she asks the question 'Do you want to know everything?' she's gauging how vulnerable they are, measuring the level of how creative or explicit she can be in surmising/revealing what indicators she's receiving. I'm trying now to think like a spirit. If I died in Iraq in an explosion, what good could I provide in relaying the mode of my death to a loved one through Lisa? My spouse would already know how I died... Why, as a spirit, would I go into detail about how I died & how would I, as a dead person, know to talk to Lisa Williams? Do psychics have a special frequency they emit to let ghosts know they're receptive? She'd be a fascinating woman to talk to, guess I'd have to meet her in person. I think I'll see her here in Sydney.

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

OK, Christian. If we ever meet I'd love to conduct a 'psychic' reading with you...it'll be fun...

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor said on the 11th Aug, 2009

i think it's fine to have questions, i too have similar curiosities... but i think it's important to be open too...

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

When Lisa says 'He's now telling me that....' (the spirit) that must mean that she can hear the dead person's voice. When you hear a voice you can hear their tone, their accent, their education level, how they're feeling. Right? OK. If you're a dead person, a spirit, you haven't got a body. No vocal chords. None. If you're a ghost, how can your voice be heard? How can you form words as a ghost without vocal chords, a tongue, voice box & a mouth? I'd love to ask Lisa that question.

LisaP_

LisaP_ said on the 11th Aug, 2009

She is so amazing! Love the article Christian....

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

In the first clip Lisa mentions hearing the word 'Achey'. The spirit mentioned the word 'Achey'. Lisa guessed 'Blakey' meaning that the spirit's name was Blakey & the loved one confirmed that fact. At the very start of the clip Lisa mentions that the spirit is very loud & has a lot of energy ('rahhhhr'). Now, if you're a spirit with a loud voice, why would you say your name is 'Achey' when it's Blakey? Why would a loud person mispronounce their own name? Why would a loud person mumble their name? How clear are the spirits' voices?

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

....and yet you're an atheist?:confused:

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

The majority of people open to being read by a psychic have at least one question they want answered.
'Is he/she at peace now?'
'Is he/she OK about me moving on?'
"Was Mum/Dad proud of me?'
'Did he/she suffer pain upon dying?'
These are the most common questions...
When you're desperate for closure (perfectly natural, no judgment there) you're in a state of 'suspended validation'. You suspend logic because you crave that validation (again, perfectly natural). You're open to the tiniest tidbit of info, however vague. As a 'psychic' you read body language, read eye contact, look for fidgeting/facial expressions, nods of the head, by the loved one to point you in the 'right' direction.
The detailed info like names & places & personal stuff can be surmised through deduction. Notice how Lisa asks leading questions that seek a forced choice (a 'yes' or 'no' response). That gives her a 50/50 chance of being right & if she's wrong she can easily say 'Oh, the spirit is fading now' or 'He's blocking me now because he's scared...' Look at the age of the loved one, how they're dressed. It'll either be a spouse or parent they want to contact, and if it's a dead child the object she is given to hold indicates the age & nature of the relationship of the deceased. There will always be one family issue present, usually estrangement. ('Oh, I see a female figure standing over there, there's a distance here....') Who hasn't been distanced from a loved one? Seriously?

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor said on the 11th Aug, 2009

nice theory ash. perhaps you should watch a few episodes of her show, or go see her live, and see if it's all just guesswork. i think what you have written above applies to a lot of psychics out there, but i don't think you have seen enough of lisa's work to really be informed...

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor said on the 11th Aug, 2009

*sigh* perhaps you need to read the article again.

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

I've watched on YouTube in the past hour re: Lisa's sessions & I'm undecided.
The haunted Hollywood mansion clip: she guessed the name 'Edward' - that was a popular name back in the 1920's, she was holding her stomach as if shot (shootings were common of the era) and said the lady of the house wore jewlery (if you're a rich woman in 1920's Hollywood of course you'd wear jewelery). She first guessed Mrs. D suicided, she was wrong, went straight for the bedroom as the murder scene (after intuiting a homosexual affair between Edward & his personal assistant the guy with the cap who she didn't like). If you were murdered by your secret lover there's a huge possibility of you being killed in your bedroom. That's just deductive logic. But I will admit if Lisa is a fake she's a highly gifted entertainer/storyteller/therapist & she does give comfort to those who seek resolution. I've noticed all of Lisa's interviewees/clients I've seen are women, not men (is that deliberate?), so there is an automatic 'women's club' or 'sisterhood' sense of trust established right away: which may add to her performance....I honestly don't know...Lisa's harmless though, and she'd be good value for money live on-stage....

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

I'd love to see Lisa go to Marilyn Monroe's house & intuit how she died. (Was Marilyn murdered, suicided or accidental death?) or interview Osama Bin Laden's child(ren) to intuit his exact location (if he's still alive) or possibly come into possession one of Osama's belongings to get imagery of where he is. If Lisa really wants to showcase her ability she'd go after Osama. She'd win Randi's million dollar skeptic challenge if she found Osama.

Asherbella said on the 11th Aug, 2009

I think I'll go to Burwood tomorrow & buy her book.

Zakalwe

Zakalwe said on the 11th Aug, 2009

If Lisa has extraordinary powers she should do the James Randi Education Foundation Challenge and earn herself US$1000000.

Even if she feels the money is not important, imagine the kudos of being the only person to have ever scientifically proven that such powers actually exist.

Asherbella said on the 12th Aug, 2009

I think James Randi's investigative officials would be geared towards refusing every single claim of paranormal, supernatural or psychic phenomenon. Nobody could ever win the challenge. It's a sham. The prize money is there to humiliate all who enter as an initial participant or potential winner. Why do I think this?

outdoornman2

outdoornman2 said on the 13th Aug, 2009

Ready a book woun't necessarily help make an educated decision, particularly if you r a sceptic, Ash...go see her show and keep an open mind, and if u weren't interested in the 'Other Side' why have u already devoted so much time to looking at the videos and now maybe buying her book....what would it take to convert u to belief?

Asherbella said on the 14th Aug, 2009

Psychology has always been a passion of mine.
I'm fascinated by the likelihood of the pre-emptive, therapeutic effects of psychological observation being passed off as psychic phenomena.
I think Lisa is clever, entertaining, she genuinely wants to, and often does, bring about closure in her clients. That doesn't make her psychic, though.

Asherbella said on the 15th Aug, 2009

Asherbella said on the 15th Aug, 2009

Zakalwe

Zakalwe said on the 15th Aug, 2009

James Randi is a maginician and illusionist, he knows all the tricks.
When it comes to Uri Geller, James Randi has actually reproduced the effects of spoon bending, mind reading, etc. and show how he does it.

The JREF are completely open about the testing procedures, and actually negotiate the testing protocols with the applicants.

Jody Ekert

Jody Ekert said on the 15th Aug, 2009

I'm with you Zakalwe about doing the testing. And Christian - I've got some great real estate on Mars if you're interested in buying ;-)

You know my boss once employed a cat psychic to tell him what the cats really wanted to say. It was $150 an hour and he has four cats so it was four hours I think. Turns out the cats were a little scared of the dogs, jealous of each other and needed more love and attention. He was so excited by those truths and tried to refer her to me for more work. I tried hard not to snort milkshake out my nose at the lunch we were at when he told me.

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 15th Aug, 2009

There is no way anyone is talking to dead people.

Even if you could do it.
Why would you want to?
I seriously couldn't give a fuck about what most living people have to say, let alone the dead.

Asherbella said on the 15th Aug, 2009

There is no way anyone is talking to dead people.

Even if you could do it.
Why would you want to?
Lisa Williams calls herself a medium, a psychic & a clarvoyant.
I wonder what the differences are (if any)?
Is Lisa registered with the UK branch of some sort of Psychics Association?
Do you need a 'license' to practice? Some sort of industry-recognised standard?
How do psychics keep themselves 'ethical'?
There'd be certain psychics who'd de-bunk other psychics? There'd be a 'social clique' or 'psychic pecking-order' in the industry trying to 'outdo' each other?
I'd love to see a 'psychic face off' TV show, all them competing for the 'most accurate' one, a competitor voted off each week by a panel of 'respected', professional psychics.

Asherbella said on the 15th Aug, 2009

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor said on the 16th Aug, 2009

jody, this is hardly cat whispering. and i am happy to continue looking at lisa's work and coming to my own conclusions...

Jody Ekert

Jody Ekert said on the 17th Aug, 2009

That's good Christian - you can have your faith in Lisa and I'm not going to talk you out of it. It's just you seem to have gone out on a limb with this article - it's something you believe in so no way do you have any kind of editorial impartiality on the topic, and you seem to be taking comments pretty personally on it and getting very defensive.

Perhaps in that case it may have been better off as an op-ed piece, or a blogging type confession then a straight news-type interview. Either way, it's not going to stop others making light of the article or Lisa herself! That's the problem with faith - people are always going to question it or mock it.

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor said on the 17th Aug, 2009

i'm not taking it personally, i am just giving my opinion like anyone else in the thread. you compare lisa to a cat whisperer and i disagree. and yes, you're right, it is biased, but no more biased than any other article we'd write about a singer, writer, artist, etc...

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 17th Aug, 2009

I must admit though Christian, she does unnerve me at times, but I would be really interested in watching her do "it"

I like to keep an open mind to most things, but the thing that worries me about this sort of thing, are the motivations of the people seeing her.

While I am sure, she brings comfort to some people, and does indeed give them some form of closure, I can't help but feel she is taking advantage of other people's sadness and grief.

When we lose somebody we love, we can lose perspective of the things that are real and healthy, because we miss the person so much, and our own grief feels as if it will be eternal.
Death also makes us confront our own mortality, and this can be a scary and huge awakening for some people.

At these times, people like Lisa Williams can appear comforting, but our need for these people arises from our own fears and grief.
It's probably a weakness we shouldn't feed.

Death is unfortunately a very natural part of life. There is nothing mystical or supernatural about it.

judes1974

judes1974 said on the 17th Aug, 2009

I feel sorry for all you skeptics because you're really missing out. Sure, have your opinion, but don't go dissing the believers. I feel we have to be pretty damned ignorant if we think this is all there is. I've seen every episode of her shows and I also saw her when she was in Sydney a few months ago and the woman is, quite simply, spectacular! I'm dying to see her this time round as well but the ticket prices have gone up a fair bit and I just can't afford it. Christian, thanks SO much for writing this article - those of us with open minds and open spirits are very grateful for it! GO CHRSTIAN! Give us more on Lisa please... as well as Allison Dubois and anyone else you see fit! I loves it and I loves you for going out on a limb and bringing it to us here on SameSame! :D

marky markywicz

marky markywicz said on the 17th Aug, 2009

I am more than interested in seeing Ash pull off exactly what Lisa does.
If he can I am offering a new Mercedes Benz.
This I gotta see!

Nothing will convince him of her intentions or her abilities.
He's in a place where he is meant to be and those that believe like wise.

We are all at different levels of the game... *whistle blows* PLAY ON

Zakalwe

Zakalwe said on the 18th Aug, 2009

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams

Asherbella said on the 18th Aug, 2009

I am more than interested in seeing Ash pull off exactly what Lisa does.
If he can I am offering a new Mercedes Benz.
This I gotta see!

Nothing will convince him of her intentions or her abilities.
He's in a place where he is meant to be and those that believe like wise.

We are all at different levels of the game... *whistle blows* PLAY ON
As you're in Coburg, VIC and I'm in Summer Hill, NSW, you seeing me fake being psychic is highly unlikely, although I think I read a post of yours saying you'd be in Sydney this Thursday??? Would you like to meet me Thursday so I can perform a psychic 'act' for you? I'm up for the challenge: I've already indicated on this thread to Christian that should we ever meet I'd happily fake being psychic & that would be 'fun'. So far Christian hasn't responded to that particular post....:)

Asherbella said on the 18th Aug, 2009

Cats exhibit body language indicators that signify an unmet care need just as humans do. That's the need that drives people to see a psychic - an unmet care need. Seeking resolution, re-living/reminiscing about deceased loved ones is perfectly natural; I don't see why psychic powers are needed to bring about that comfort. Psychics are virtually reinforcing the message 'Your former loved one loved you'. Why would you need a psychic to tell you that?

Asherbella said on the 18th Aug, 2009

I think the yearning to believe in psychic powers comes from a place of fear.
The fear that when we are dead there is nothing. If there is nothing, and death is absolute, the relationship I had with my now dead loved one is forever gone.
Spirit divination/summoning of dead people is comforting to those that wish to believe in psychics because of this fear that death is absolute being a reality that is too scary to accept . In my opinion. :)

Jody Ekert

Jody Ekert said on the 18th Aug, 2009

[QUOTE=marky markywicz;155892

We are all at different levels of the game... *whistle blows* PLAY ON

So true. No one will convince anyone else in this thread. It's one of those things where you just believe or you don't. But it's kinda funny that everyone keeps lobbing balls over into the other's court over it all. LOL. That's what the interwebs are great for - terroizing others who's beliefs you think are inferior :D

Asherbella said on the 18th Aug, 2009

I'm saying the likelihood of a spirit honing in on one 'psychic' for light chit-chat is slight to nil given there are 6 billion people on the planet for a spirit to be drawn to, the spirits revealing information about themselves to loved ones mean virtually nothing given the info they give isn't anything new, the info the 'spirits' give is either vague, repeated until the client is pressured into sheepishly accepting the message, is symbolic or rudimentary & the means by which they are 'intuited' can be a case of deductive reminiscence & logic.
Notice how Lisa always says 'Does that make sense?' as if pleading for her words to make sense. Why say that out loud? It's Lisa's job to receive and pass on messages. Not to make sense of them. Right? She's pressuring her clients to believe they make sense: which points towards the motivation of Lisa being right more than about bringing 'closure'.
The need to believe in psychic power, in my view, creates the psychic.
I believe we should respect the dead by leaving the dead alone.
I don't need a psychic to tell me my deceased loved one loved me.
That's just me.
I won't put someone down for believing in psychic phenomena. They are vulnerable & need to believe in something. That's a very human & beautiful thing but not all beautiful things are real.:)

Jody Ekert

Jody Ekert said on the 18th Aug, 2009

Telling someone "they are vulnerable and need to believe in something" could come across as you feeling superior to them - just the same as when Jude was talking about feeling "sorry" for those of us who don't believe!

marky markywicz

marky markywicz said on the 18th Aug, 2009

Ash,
Its obvious there is no way you are going to accept Lisa or anyone else has the ability to talk to those whom have passed to the otherside.
So it would be pointless for me to waste energy on trying to talk to you about it in more detail, I strongly feel we would just go in circles.

There are of course people who are not genuine and do not possess this gift however, profess to.
I am not insisting you accept Lisa's abilities or that some psychics are indeed able to bridge the two worlds.

All I know it that I have experienced a great deal of psychic and spiritual phenomenon in my life to not doubt it in anyway.
some very average and yet other demonstrations or occourances remarkable to life changing.

Asherbella said on the 18th Aug, 2009

I wouldn't tell them that to their face, though. It'd be insensitive.
Being vulnerable is natural, normal & I don't believe vulnerability to be a shameful or 'inferior' thing to be. When vulnerability is exploited for personal gain, I question the authenticity of psychic powers. It's too easy to take money from people in grief, crisis trauma & offer a magic 'tonic' to relieve the effects of being so vulnerable.
I believe to allieviate grief you must look towards the future, not the past; and to seek solace amongst the living, not the dead. I don't believe I'm 'superior' for thinking this. :)

Asherbella said on the 18th Aug, 2009

Ash,

I accept that your experiences & beliefs hold meaning for you & I think that's great.
I tend not to believe in the 'other side' because I reckon life is for the living, not the dead, and to 'linger' amongst the dead is the opposite of what the true meaning of life is. No offence.:)

marky markywicz

marky markywicz said on the 18th Aug, 2009

I accept that your experiences & beliefs hold meaning for & I think that's great.

Ash, for many people interested in the other side it has little or nothing to do with "lingering" amongst the dead.
Its a celebration of the fact there is truely a spirit world and higher realms beyond.
That life does indeed go on after physical death.

Its a profound belief in God the creator and all things that come from this.

Asherbella said on the 18th Aug, 2009

That life does indeed go on after physical death.

Its a profound belief in God the creator and all things that come this.
How can living people apply knowledge of this 'spirit world' to everyday life, though?
How can you have a relationship with someone who is dead? How is that aspirational/healthy? Once you go see a psychic, the 'high' sets in & you can potentially become 'addicted' to seeing more psychics (psychic hotlines, fortune telling, more psychics live in person): I call it 'reminiscence rush'. You waste your money & all you're left with is 'Your dead loved one loves you'. OK. Beautiful. Now what?
Supposing Lisa's gift is true: The presentation of messages by spirits in a public forum live on-stage is being used by Lisa as entertainment. How is that respectful of a person's grief? Parading the memory of a dead person in front of a live audience of thousands by sprouting out catchphrases & random words that are loaded with meaning after the fact: how is that helpful for a person stuck in grief (being so public, I mean)? What if Lisa receives an especially embarrassing, sensitive or mind-blowingly traumatic message for her client live on-stage and she mentions it? Are they given follow-up support by Lisa? The client is not only in a state of vulnerable angst upon being 're-united' with her loved one, he/she is left to deal with information they are yet to accept or come to terms with. I've noticed Lisa voices information excitably & with such infectious enthusiasm (entertaining), observes non-verbal cues to illicit a response with an action or word/story that will be received favouribly (strategic), adjusts the message with 'repetitive conditioning' thereby wearing the client down mentally to submit/accept/feel emotionally validated (manipulative) and emotional reinforcement/support (caring). What a great act! It's understandable why she's so popular live on stage. I accept that, but again, entertainment is entertaining, not necessarily always 'true'.

Asherbella said on the 18th Aug, 2009

That life does indeed go on after physical death.

Its a profound belief in God the creator and all things that come this.
...and the overwhelmingly intoxicating belief in that 'celebration' of 'higher realms beyond' comes from a place of fear.
The fear of death being absolute, the fear that if my loved one truly is dead then the relationship is finally & irrevocably over.

ravenstar

ravenstar said on the 22nd Aug, 2009

Interesting discussion. I've got tickets to go see Lisa at the State Theatre on September 29th or something like that. I'm looking forward to it.

Asherbella said on the 22nd Aug, 2009

I think it's interesting that Christian Taylor hasn't responded to my acceptance yet upon being challenged to fake a 'psychic' reading with him. We both live in Sydney and he can easily send me a private message to set something up. He 'bet everything he owns that I couldn't' do what Lisa Williams does. I think I can. I'll even be filmed while pulling off this charade & Christian can write an editorial about it here on Same Same (possible headline 'Ash Fakes Psychic Flash!') Marky Markywicz even offered to buy me a Mercedes Benz if I could successfully fake being psychic. I've offered to meet him too and perform some psychic tricks. No response from either of them. Nothing.

Asherbella said on the 22nd Aug, 2009

I am more than interested in seeing Ash pull off exactly what Lisa does.
If he can I am offering a new Mercedes Benz.
This I gotta see!

Nothing will convince him of her intentions or her abilities.
He's in a place where he is meant to be and those that believe like wise.

We are all at different levels of the game... *whistle blows* PLAY ON
I'd like one in black, thanks.:)

ravenstar

ravenstar said on the 23rd Aug, 2009

If you can pull it off you should start a new career bring peace and happiness to people who need it.

Asherbella said on the 23rd Aug, 2009

...but I would've exposed myself as a fake, though....:p

ravenstar

ravenstar said on the 24th Aug, 2009

lol.. you can't win em all

Asherbella said on the 24th Aug, 2009

'Hi, I'm Ash, the openly fraudulent but highly therapeutic & popular *intuitive* psychic...':p

judes1974

judes1974 said on the 26th Aug, 2009

Jody, I never attacked you personally, please do me the same courtesy.

troi

troi said on the 26th Aug, 2009

I didn't attack you either Jude - just said that it could sound superior to feel sorry for us who didn't believe. That's just questioning the tone of something you wrote. And in the same post I was pointing out that the other side of the debate was doing the same thing!

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor said on the 29th Aug, 2009

ash, why would i respond to an offer like that? i mean really, i have better things to do...

Asherbella said on the 29th Aug, 2009

I only mentioned it because it was your idea in the first place: and ash, i would love to see you fake being psychic! i think we'd all love to see that! you think you could do what lisa does? i bet everything i own that you couldn't.
Better things to do? Like what? Create threads about dogs shitting into plastic bags tied to their butts?:D

marky markywicz

marky markywicz said on the 29th Aug, 2009

Darls, I am sure Christian's offer like mine was a figure of speech only.
Reflecting confidence in Lisa William's ability as a Medium :)

Asherbella said on the 29th Aug, 2009

Darls, I am sure Christian's offer like mine was a figure of speech only.
Reflecting confidence in Lisa William's ability as a Medium :)
No, I think Christian made the offer not thinking I'd be up for it.
Well, I am up for it.
I think he'd be too traumatized at having to give me everything he owns should I successfully fake a psychic 'talk to the dead' act. What's really great about Christian's offer is that Christian & I have never met, I know nothing about him because we don't socialize in the same circles - so I could undertake this challenge with a great deal of integrity.:)
To lower the stakes & tempt christian to go ahead with it I'd like to propose the bet to be $100. It won't take long. one hour. I'm sure Christian could spare one hour. Surely.