Merry Christmas, PrimeMinister!

Same Same picked out a lovely Christmas card for Julia Gillard as Australia prepares to get our tinsel and deckchairs out again to celebrate the festive season with our nearest and dearest.

We asked you to type our Prime Minister your special wish for Christmas. Thanks for all your lovely messages!

Here’s our picks of the bunch – and a print-out of this page will be popped into the Christmas card which will wing its way to Canberra today.

Moving forward, we’ll let you know if Julia writes back!

Dear PM,
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
I hope over this festive season while you are spending quality time with your loved ones, that you find it in your heart to allow gay people in Australia the choice to marry our loved ones in the new year.
What a wonderful Country this would be if we all put our prejudices and hate behind us and moved forward on the issue of Marriage Equality.
Regards
Nathan Thomas
Warringah Electorate

Dear Gillard,
I’m 14 years old and am a gay student. Why do you deny me and hundreds upon thousands of other gay youths the right to marry when we’re older, not to mention the hundreds of thousands who are unable to truly show their love for each other?
I’m surprised that you, a member of 2 minorities deny the 10% of Australian population that is gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans-gendered. But other than that hope you have a very merry Christmas xoxo
– Cody

Dear Julia,
May the jingle bells I’m sending you be returned as wedding bells for me… Merry Christmas
– Tracey

Dear Julia,
Wishing you and your partner a very Happy Christmas!
Just in case you’d like to get me something for Christmas, I’d like the right to marry, I’ve been a good girl. I work hard and pay my taxes and I’d like my Dad to give me away to the woman of my dreams It’s important to me, however, I’m 41 and I don’t want to wait anymore, actually, I’m sick of being the lady in waiting!
Warmest Regards, Julia Day. xx

Dear Julia,
You wanted to move Australia forward in your election campaign.
So please, stop holding us back.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas, and a Safe New Year, as I still hold hope that you will be the one to bring about change.
Love, Brodie

Dear Miss Prime Minister
I am 7 years old and my pesky sister Alice is 4. Instead of writing to Santa this year we are writing to you because all we really want for Christmas is for our 2 Mums to get married. I made them a boat for Xmas because they want to float down the river on their wedding day. Please make our wishes come true. Love Daniel.

Dear Julia
Merry Christmas, and A Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.
Julia if your partner should propose, congrats I’m sure you would have a lovely wedding. Pity if my partner did the same thing and proposed to me, we wouldn’t be legally allowed to enjoy the same thing.
Anyway enjoy your Christmas and have a fantastic 2011.
Cheers, Kevin.

Dear Julia,
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. I’ll be spending my Christmas with my girlfriend this year, and the next one and probably the next 10 Christmases together. By not allowing people to marry; doesn’t mean your going to stop the gay life. – you’re just making things more difficult. It is sociably accepted so make a change in your views and open your hearts to our rights as well.
Let’s have a wine or two sometime? We can discuss this further?
With all the happiness.
Leigh & Kylie
xoxo

Dear Julia,
I hope you and your family have a happy festive season, and I also hope that in the New Year you will drag Australia into the twenty first century and change the laws to reflect true equal rights for all Australians regardless of gender or sexuality.
– Tracey

Dear PM Gillard,
Wishing you and your family a safe and happy Christmas and New Year. New Years is a time when everyone looks back at their past year and decides what things they can change the following year. Let’s hope that marriage equality is one of them.
Again, all the best to you and your family. You are a hard working woman and deserve a break.
Best wishes, Aaron van Zwieten, Lilley Electorate.

Merry Christmas Prime Minister Gillard,
My Christmas wish for you is to be a world leader. This means time for equality for all regardless of gender, sexuality and religion. More public transport, more hospitals and an improved public education system. Australia is a great country so let’s make it even better!
– ozplans

Dear Julia,
I supported you and was glad to see you become PM. As an atheist (like yourself) I do not believe in the antiquated ceremony that is marriage. Unlike yourself however, I do believe in EQUAL rights. It’s a disgrace that you are happy to take our taxes but rob those who do want to marry, of this basic right. I still hold hope that you will eventually be strong enough to make this change.
Merry Christmas.
– Brett

Julia,
The gays give the best gifts, it’s time to make some new friends..
See you at the Wedding.
– Alicia

Merry Christmas Julia.
Love you girl, just wish you loved us too. Please support my wonderful family by changing your mind on gay marriage. I would love my son to have married parents.
Best Wishes for the holiday season.
Cheers
Michelle Power

Julia,
May the fairy upon the top of your Christmas tree fall and sprinkle you with fairy dust. Maybe then you will see how to… ‘Move Australia Forward’.
– Paul

Dear Julia
Do you want to be remembered as just another politician.
Or a true leader who took a stand and made a difference to our great country and society.
You now have a chance to be seen as a true leader and progressive.
Don’t make the same mistakes you did in your PM campaign being a puppet of your party and the ill informed religious groups.
Listen to the Australian people straight and gay.
Be a leader and set the direction.
– Typhoon

Merry Christmas dear Julia,
May the new year bring greatness for all Australians.
May we all keep our New Years resolutions to be more tolerant, happy, and joined together in making Australia the greatest country on earth for everybody.
– Travis

All I want for Christmas… is change.
– Priyant

PM – this is the future calling. Why are you waiting?
– Perkin

Comments

20215
willtoddhero

willtoddhero said on the 3rd Dec, 2010

i liked this article very much

jess888

jess888 said on the 3rd Dec, 2010

Merry Xmas P.M. It would be a great feather in your cap to be the first to make a change that the rest of the world would follow, it's only a matter of time how about you make it in your time. My partner and I have been together 19yrs brought up 4kids between us all lead great lives no scars no problems ...what is the FEAR?

philholl

philholl said on the 3rd Dec, 2010

As an Aussie/Brit dual national, I am honoured to be one of the few Australians to have been able to formalise my relationship whilst living in Australia. We took our vows at the British Embassy in Sydney. It's a pity that almost 5 years on, that commitment is still not recognised under Australian law.

My counsel in our quest for equality is to do as Britain did. By avoiding the term 'marriage', they made the issue one of equality and not religion. It might be only 90% perfect, and I find the term 'civil partnership' clumsy, but it's 90% more than Ms Gillard is offering us.

Food for thought....

Insertnamehere

Insertnamehere said on the 3rd Dec, 2010

Dear Ms Gillard, wishing you a merry Christmas this festive season, may you and your family continue to be blessed with that wonderful gift of having a recognised and accepted relationship status, with the freedom to take that extra step and say "I do." Here's hoping 2011 brings you the opportunity to show true leadership, rather than simply following what has gone before, and I am looking forward to the day when same sex relationships are no longer merely tolerated, but are accepted as being truly equal to those between members of the opposite sex. Denying people the ultimate way of saying "I love you" to the person they want to grow old with sends a very clear message to the people politicians are there to represent. Thank you.

meezon04

meezon04 said on the 3rd Dec, 2010

love it :) I wish for much the same

eurolad

eurolad said on the 3rd Dec, 2010

Why would you want to wish this shit face anything? As far as I am concerned she can drop dead

petersj

petersj said on the 3rd Dec, 2010

Dear Primi MInister

under difficult circumstances you have shown remarkable leadership and I love your gutsy courage.
I think it was the late Senator Robert Kennedy who said a society will be judged on its treatments of minorities.
All we ask of you PM is to take the lead in granting the gay and lesbian community equality.
I won't wish you happy Christmas as I am, like you an atheist but thank you for your courage and have a wonderful festive season.
love
Peter

tomtomz

tomtomz said on the 4th Dec, 2010

Dear Julia,
Merry Xmas (as a cultural, not religious festival.) As an unhitched person, perhaps you do not believe in the institution of marriage, and after one try at it, I don't know if I do either. As you can see in the above messages however, many non-het people do like the institution and should be able to be married in the interests of equality for all citizens. Please indulge them.
Best wishes, Lynzett

Tambo

Tambo said on the 4th Dec, 2010

Hi Julia,
Looks like a lot of requests here from a minority... Oh, hang on, maybe not. It appears a lot of hetros are putting out a call for marriage equality in the name fairness and just from knowing what's right. I hope you will join them soon! Good onya mate, have a great Christmas.
P.s. Great move with the new regulations to protect Australian shipping.

Sep77

Sep77 said on the 4th Dec, 2010

A member of two minorities? Which two minorities? Atheists and Gingers?

virginia f

virginia f said on the 6th Dec, 2010

" With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair."

"Combine" - but some are to be excluded? Excuse me? Where's the courage?

blueterrace

blueterrace said on the 6th Dec, 2010

Dear Julia what I want for Xmas in 2020 is a copy of your autobiography, so I can turn to the pages where you lament you wished you done something lasting….aside from developing white knuckles as you desperately clung to office. Sorry sweetie, but despite all our hopes, clearly you’re no Whitlam, or even a Keating.

Codyy

Codyy said on the 7th Dec, 2010

OMG mine got picked! thnx all xoxo (:

warbboys

warbboys said on the 9th Dec, 2010

Call An Election Bitch

Phazz

Phazz said on the 9th Dec, 2010

^^ An execution might be better since Abbott is just Gillard in a dress.

petersj

petersj said on the 23rd Sep, 2011

Sadly I have to agree. I wish she would accept she wont be there long and do a Gough and bring in the reforms we need.