switch to: liquid fixed

home > forums > Regions > Perth

Is Perth Dullsville?

Tools
Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked
Default Is Perth Dullsville?
So I know people read this forum but for some reason they neglect to comment or post. Join in!

Here's a topic to generate some arguments hopefully. I remember years (6+ years ago) when The West Australian paper had their headline as DULLSVILLE. I left perth a year after sick of the isolation and long flat expanses of suburbia.

But I am returning and since I am I would like to know what has changed. I hear Sunday Trading is not in effect which seems totally stupid but hey I'll get used to it.

Is Perth still dullsville?
Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked
Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked

Last edited by Iratei: 6th September 2011 at 07:24 AM

Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked
mark_ +

_

Times thanked
My brother says it has the best climate in the world.
I met a very admirable, clever man there who runs his own R & D company who says their beaches are much more appealing than Sydney's gay fleshpots.
Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked
mark_ you are correct on both counts. The climate, whilst sweltering at the best of times, is a dry heat and the summer days are very long with beautiful sunsets across the beaches.

There's no better beaches I've been to across my travels in Australia than the pristine and rough white sand miles of beach along Perth's Coast.
chad_74 +

this dance aint for everybody only the sexy peoples

Times thanked
I think the plastic cactus in the city centre says it all.
paracetamol +

listening to music

Times thanked
1 million dollar plastic cactus...someone made a bundle somewhere
Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked
So Yes it's been since Tuesday now.

I've been back for a while and it's slowly taking time to readjust. That plastic cactus thing is so immaterial by being translucent that it does nothing for the space where the overpass used to be to forest chase.

I do however really like the rainbow changing lights on council house building?

The first thing that I noticed is how hot the guys were
then I noticed how quiet and clean it was.
I wouldn't say it's that dull but Perth has changed less in three years then Sydney did in fourth months. What are the projects envisaged to lively the place up a bit? Is there still going to be a foreshore/waterfront development?
Totka +

Home please driver.

Times thanked
I believe the Queen will be there soon. Get out your Union Jack waistcoat.
wysiwyg +

ha!

Times thanked
well you posted in the Perth thread which is hardly visited. should have posted on C&G for more exposure.
Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked
Bump
Simoneybabe +

Times thanked
I went there about 10 years ago for two weeks, and yes it's dullsville, in the way that in Sydney you can go to a bar and people will come up and talk to you, or say come over and have a drink with their group. It's unusual if that doesn't happen.
If you go to a bar in perth they will all ignore you, they are not outgoing like sydney people.
Maybe because it's a small place and most people know each other, so they feel they don't have the freedom of anonymity as in a big city.
It felt like being in a country town to me, I certainly wouldn't want to live there.
My advice is get the fuck out of there.
philadelphia +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simoneybabe View Post

I went there about 10 years ago for two weeks, and yes it's dullsville, in the way that in Sydney you can go to a bar and people will come up and talk to you, or say come over and have a drink with their group. It's unusual if that doesn't happen.
If you go to a bar in perth they will all ignore you, they are not outgoing like sydney people.
Maybe because it's a small place and most people know each other, so they feel they don't have the freedom of anonymity as in a big city.
It felt like being in a country town to me, I certainly wouldn't want to live there.
My advice is get the fuck out of there.

Trust me Perth has changed a lot in the past 10 years. It's going to change even more in the next 10 years. It's in a huge transition phase at the moment. From the waterfront development, to the city - Northbridge connection. To all the new bars opening up all over the place. Even the Perth International Arts Festival is getting amazingly good in recent years! To be honest, it's a pretty exciting place to be at the moment, especially if you are looking for work it should be easier there than anywhere else in Australia to land one.
As for nightlife... yeah, we have a choice from two gay clubs which aren't too bad but it gets boring going to the same places every weekend.
Anyway, despite all of that I still chose to move to Sydney
Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked
All those changes you alude to Philadelphia are something yes, but I doubt it will reenergise the CBD and surrounding areas into something close to what you would find in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney. Better than nothing I suppose. Perth has three gay clubs now (Honey Lounge opened up earlier in the year in Leederville) and I find they are tops although I haven't been to the honey lounge.

All the new bars opening up are for the majority overpriced and catering to people with far too much expendable income. If i want fun, I save my money to go wild in Sydney for a week. It turns out to be cheaper :-)
philadelphia +

Times thanked
Yeah, you're right. Especially with a lot of the decent youth moving over East anyway the nightlife in Perth in general is mediocre and over-priced.
Iratei +

woohoo summer!

Times thanked
hi! how are you Philadelphia?

Previous Thread  |  Next Thread