Northern Territory

I am coming for a visit..

Tools
Dash80 +

Lurky lurk

Times thanked
Default I am coming for a visit..
Where should I go, what should I see - to see the real NT in 72 hours? (Flying into Darwin)
flounder +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash80 View Post

Where should I go, what should I see - to see the real NT in 72 hours? (Flying into Darwin)

Firstly you should hook up with me and over a coffee we can map out a cunning plan based on your likes, dislikes and budget.

Going too far out of Darwin will be difficult given the time of year (when is it again) Must do's in Darwin are Crocosuarus Cove (swim in a cage with huge crocs or just watch some other fuckwit do it) Sunset dwinkies and dinner at the trailer boat club at "Fannie Bay" (stop giggling) . Throb nightclub is Darwins only openly gay venue.

Adelaide River jumpiing croc cruise, barramundi fishing, Litchfield National Park (day trip) or Kakadu may be a bit far given your time. Dinner and drinks on the Darwin wharf. As you can see theres heaps to do, start googleing.

Happy to help with advice Dash
Dash80 +

Lurky lurk

Times thanked
Nice, thank you Flounder.
You will be my first port of call xx
bobbyandmimmi +

heartache is finally hitting me

Times thanked
I hear that the bungle bungles are unreal to see
bobbyandmimmi +

heartache is finally hitting me

Times thanked
and Idk if you care for trees or that but if I were going I would love to see the impressive boab trees although they should be quiet common there anyway
flounder +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyandmimmi View Post

and Idk if you care for trees or that but if I were going I would love to see the impressive boab trees although they should be quiet common there anyway

I think the Bungle Bungles might be a bit far away given the time the girls have here, Kununurras about an 8 hrs drive Bobby, and again boabs dont start until your about 250km west of Katherine, then theyre everywhere heading into WA
Bellie +

Times thanked
Hi,
Having just moved to Darwin I was wondering what there is for the locals to do?- obviously with a bit more time on my hands....
Would love some suggestions.
badamj2000 +

I may, or may not, have any comment at this time.

Times thanked
OMG, who will be kind to me when/if I visit Darwin this year?
I may , or may not be wearing pants
flounder +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by badamj2000 View Post

OMG, who will be kind to me when/if I visit Darwin this year?

Probably everyone thats what people are like up here
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
Are they really? Will they put me up and tour m e around?
DavoJimbo +

a happy chappy

Times thanked
au contraire, they will probably tie you down, and pass you around....they don't get many bears in those parts , just cane toads, so they get a bit excitements!
Dion +

awesome

Times thanked
As I'm now to be a regular visitor to Darwin, what are the opening nights and times for Throb?
Thanks in advance.
DavoJimbo +

a happy chappy

Times thanked
Throb is Darwin's only Gay and Lesbian nightclub and is open every Friday and Saturday night from 11pm - 4am. or so the website sez...
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
Dion, I trust Flounder will 'show you the ropes' , to use a much misused nautical term .
Dion +

awesome

Times thanked
Hi when I searched the web the Throb page wanted to go str8 to a facebook link, not as I remembered the page.
I should change my avatar as I only just got out of the Navy, the only thing I want to associate nautical now is my own fishing boat.
Darwin this Friday night so I am looking forward to it.
badamj2000 +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Hi when I searched the web the Throb page wanted to go str8 to a facebook link, not as I remembered the page.
I should change my avatar as I only just got out of the Navy, the only thing I want to associate nautical now is my own fishing boat.
Darwin this Friday night so I am looking forward to it.

Well. your avatar does kinda sorta imply you may have something to do with the navy- it may be the full naval uniform. Fishing boat? Darwin? naked fishing?
Dion +

awesome

Times thanked
Did nearly 26 years in the Navy. Only got out in September last year. Now driving trains from Port Augusta, Darwin is one if our destinations.
badamj2000 +

Times thanked

Quote:

Did nearly 26 years in the Navy. Only got out in September last year. Now driving trains from Port Augusta, Darwin is one if our destinations.

How does one become qualified to drive trains? Does it pay well? Very good. How are you adjusting to civilian life? Mining industry ?

Last edited by badamj2000: 16th April 2013 at 02:47 PM

Dion +

awesome

Times thanked
Pay (wage) has initially halved as starting as a trainee. However in saying that, allowances and penalties bring it up close to where I was when I left the Navy.
A bit of schooling, an initial block of three weeks, then you start traveling about getting to know where you are going. After about 4-5 months of that a further three weeks of school and then we are permitted to drive with a qualified driver. Need to know the track, for instance Port Augusta to Darwin 2500km and 2500km back again. Whole traineeship to get to Cert IV in transport and logistics takes about three years, then a fully qualified driver.
Usual stuff, AFP check, medical fitness. A mechanical aptitude certainly helps. It does involve shift working, we do relay where when crew sleeps in carriage behind loco's and change crews every 8hrs.
Transition is not a big issue, still a sort of disciplined workplace, but a bit more relaxed than Navy, although I still hold Navy values. Shift work as a train driver is similar routine as to what was doing on the subs, so that helps with the transition.
On the subs, everyone knew I am gay. In this workplace there are those that I knew before I got into the railway, but not everyone knows, but certainly don't see it as a problem.
flounder +

Times thanked

Quote:

Pay (wage) has initially halved as starting as a trainee. However in saying that, allowances and penalties bring it up close to where I was when I left the Navy.
A bit of schooling, an initial block of three weeks, then you start traveling about getting to know where you are going. After about 4-5 months of that a further three weeks of school and then we are permitted to drive with a qualified driver. Need to know the track, for instance Port Augusta to Darwin 2500km and 2500km back again. Whole traineeship to get to Cert IV in transport and logistics takes about three years, then a fully qualified driver.
Usual stuff, AFP check, medical fitness. A mechanical aptitude certainly helps. It does involve shift working, we do relay where when crew sleeps in carriage behind loco's and change crews every 8hrs.
Transition is not a big issue, still a sort of disciplined workplace, but a bit more relaxed than Navy, although I still hold Navy values. Shift work as a train driver is similar routine as to what was doing on the subs, so that helps with the transition.
On the subs, everyone knew I am gay. In this workplace there are those that I knew before I got into the railway, but not everyone knows, but certainly don't see it as a problem.

Sorry Dion just saw this, give me a bit of notice next time your in town and maybe we can catch up for a coffee or something??
badamj2000 +

Times thanked

Quote:

OMG, what schooling Dion?
Dion +

awesome

Times thanked
Hi badamj2000, schooling is basic induction to railways. Safety, Introduction to Loco's, shift work and rostering, routes, dealing with emergencies, dangerous goods, how trains are safely controlled to avoid collisions, first aid and fire fighting.
Dion +

awesome

Times thanked
Hi Flounder, in Darwin atm, only got in last night and out again back south at 0900 this morning. In a couple of weeks time I should be back, this time on a Friday night, then out again back south on the Saturday morning. Never enough time in Darwin, just over the minimum 12 hours off we are obliged to have.
Garrymost +

Times thanked
Thanks in advance

Previous Thread  |  Next Thread