Chat and Gossip

Making new friends online

Tools
BlueXY +

Sydney, Australia

Times thanked
Default Making new friends online
So my last post automatically got eatean by the bot, oops lol.

I tried to make a few friends on some dating sites, but maybe I didn't do my profile well - all I got were guys 30-40 years older than me who wanted more pics! I know that one day I too will be old, but I am denying it for now! lol.

Where do you go to meet new people online?
moose6969 +

proud to be gay

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueXY View Post

I tried to make a few friends on some dating sites, but maybe I didn't do my profile well - all I got were guys 30-40 years older than me who wanted more pics! I know that one day I too will be old, but I am denying it for now! lol.

Hey Blue, do u wanna make friends or hook up ? Im on about 5 or 6 websites, like squirt.org, thats the best one for meeting for hook ups, if u just want sex, also im on gaydar.com.au, aussiemen.com.au, biaustralia.com.au, getiton.com.au, linkinggays.com.au, outpersonals.com.au, and mennation.com.My opinion is that squirt.org is the best for meeting anyone, but ive also had a few responses from aussiemen as well
BlueXY +

Sydney, Australia

Times thanked
Thanks for all the links moose! Looking for friends for now ... I don't have that many gay friends, and the ones that I do - I truly appreciate their help, support and advice that sometimes straight people can't give. True friends are hard to get, I know that friends come and go, and sometimes you have the ones that stick with you through thick and thin and you know they are the right friends

Sure I'd love a LTR, but that isn't something you can just get and I understand that.
Lazzarus +

I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule,not to bewail,not to scorn human actions,but to understand them

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose6969 View Post

Hey Blue, do u wanna make friends or hook up ? Im on about 5 or 6 websites, like squirt.org, thats the best one for meeting for hook ups, if u just want sex, also im on gaydar.com.au, aussiemen.com.au, biaustralia.com.au, getiton.com.au, linkinggays.com.au, outpersonals.com.au, and mennation.com.My opinion is that squirt.org is the best for meeting anyone, but ive also had a few responses from aussiemen as well

Bloody hell!!!!

Suddenly I'm appreciating why you haven't got the time to reply to my texts LOL!!!!
I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.
moose6969 +

proud to be gay

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazzarus View Post

Bloody hell!!!!

Suddenly I'm appreciating why you haven't got the time to reply to my texts LOL!!!!

Hey Lazz, ive always got time for u,
TheOldie +

Goodbye winter !

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose6969 View Post

Fuck me Moose you are REALLY putting yourself out there !
moose6969 +

proud to be gay

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldie View Post

Fuck me Moose you are REALLY putting yourself out there !

Hey Oldie, ive got a lot of me to love, so i might as ell share it around, lol
JustBecause +

on the line between the devil's tits

Times thanked
moose? More like loose.

BlueXY +

Sydney, Australia

Times thanked
OK this is sort of getting side tracked, although funny, I was asking a serious question :P
wysi +

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Times thanked
welcome to SS. threads are always 'sidetracked' on SS!

sneakos +

when they come, they'll eat the weak ones first ... do crossfit :)

Times thanked
i really only use here and facebook online - and fb is mostly about keeping in touch with ppl i know and dont see irl all that often (and gives me something to do @ work )

i have had profiles on sites mentioned above but found that ppl really only wanted to hook up etc which is fine if thats what ur after but i werent looking for casual sex - so i dont use gaydar, squirt, grindr, etc etc - its just not my thing

iv got to know some ppl on here irl and have been to some of th meet ups in both syd and brissy (and gotta say brissy meet ups r impressive )

iv been here a while (5 yrs + o.m.g. ) and like all th relationships i have in my life, they take time - well at least thats my experience

i like here cos its not about hooking up for sex as a priority

good luck bro

and welcome to ss

pete
eat clean ...... lift heavy ...... be a boss
BlueXY +

Sydney, Australia

Times thanked
Thanks Pete! very encouraging! It's good to know that not everyone is looking for hookups all the time! I guess it takes time, and maybe I'm on the right site then

FB is blocked at my work, but everyone just uses their smart phone to access it makes management angry (the funny thing is that the smart phones are work paid phones )
BlueXY +

Sydney, Australia

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by wysi View Post

welcome to SS. threads are always 'sidetracked' on SS!

I'm learning
atomic-teddy +

Mr.Sloth

Times thanked
I actually find a lot of guys who just want to hang out on gaydar. You have to approach people though, and not be too judgemental.
bobbyandmimmi +

heartache is finally hitting me

Times thanked
hi BlueXY, I have been looking for real life friends..............I tried grindr when I was in the city, and alls they want is sex, sex, sex..... so I gave up on that idea lol, but I would reccomend this site. And always put your thoughts to the fourms here, as they also have ss meet ups in syd, melb and brissy monthly. where the peeps meet up and see each other.
sneakos +

when they come, they'll eat the weak ones first ... do crossfit :)

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyandmimmi View Post

I tried grindr when I was in the city, and alls they want is sex, sex, sex..... so I gave up on that idea lol

eat clean ...... lift heavy ...... be a boss
JustBecause +

Times thanked
Hey Blue,

If you are only looking for friends at this stage maybe you should try widening your search beyond gays? What are you interested in? Is there a certain type of music genre that gets you excited? Do you play any sports? Are you into movies? Fitness? Miniature dogs? You could investigate to see if there are any interest groups/forums out there where you may find like minded people.

Sure its great to have gay friends, but I find hanging out with people who share common interests (other than a fondness for penises) to be a lot more engaging and entertaining.

You never know who you might meet along the way...

Welcome to SS

Mitch

ps - Sorry for joking earlier... I couldn't help myself. Moosey left himself wide open.... again
TheOldie +

Goodbye winter !

Times thanked

Quote:

but why online ? are you out in the country ?

agree with JustBecause ie have you tried actually meeting people by joining groups ? most of the sites you mention are mainly for sex and thats why guys go there so may be hard to find someone who just wants to be friends.

Can you attend any SS meet ups ? or check out the gay rags and see if anything on that interests you.

Good luck !
bobbyandmimmi +

heartache is finally hitting me

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustBecause View Post

Hey Blue,

If you are only looking for friends at this stage maybe you should try widening your search beyond gays? What are you interested in? Is there a certain type of music genre that gets you excited? Do you play any sports? Are you into movies? Fitness? Miniature dogs? You could investigate to see if there are any interest groups/forums out there where you may find like minded people.

Sure its great to have gay friends, but I find hanging out with people who share common interests (other than a fondness for penises) to be a lot more engaging and entertaining.

You never know who you might meet along the way...

Welcome to SS

Mitch

ps - Sorry for joking earlier... I couldn't help myself. Moosey left himself wide open.... again

I aam not being a goodie toshoo here, but I think he is looking for someone else like him. I have great friends, who I can talk to about nearly anything, including guys and stuff. but it doesn't wuiet cut it, talking to other gay people is a wonderful experience, because I do not feel like a minority, I feel equal, I feel like I have someone who has my back. Not every gay person, jumps for joy when they see another gay person, When I see another gay person I immedietly want to connect, because the fact of that one strong thing we have in common, that they are not judgemental of your sexuality, it is just that bond, that is in some weird way, we are very much alike.

If this makes any sense>>?
JustBecause +

Times thanked
I get where you are coming from bobby... But I find a lot of gay people I meet in real life to be pretty fucking lame.

I don't consider myself a minority or less equal... so I don't need anyone to 'have my back'. Liking dick is just a small part of my life. Id rather hang out with people because of their overall character... not justbecause they like things in their arse.

Last edited by JustBecause: 27th March 2012 at 08:24 PM

BlueXY +

Sydney, Australia

Times thanked
Thanks for all your comments so far everyone!

Quote:

Hey Blue,

If you are only looking for friends at this stage maybe you should try widening your search beyond gays? What are you interested in?

I've got some good straight friends, but I'm wanting to find people that share something strong who understand you. I will explain a bit more below with bobbyandmimmie's post! LOL don't worry about joking, it was okay :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldie View Post

but why online ?
Can you attend any SS meet ups ? or check out the gay rags and see if anything on that interests you.

Pretty full on during the week, no time - work seems to consume most of the week. I don't want to limit myself to meeting people on weekends only. I figured there has to be some people like me in a similar situation! I'm sure I'd love to get to some meet ups some time soon! I like meeting people online, (maybe I'm just nerdy), but I can't imagine not having the internet to catch up with friends and organising outings and things ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyandmimmi View Post

I aam not being a goodie toshoo here, but I think he is looking for someone else like him. I have great friends, who I can talk to about nearly anything, including guys and stuff. but it doesn't wuiet cut it, talking to other gay people is a wonderful experience, because I do not feel like a minority, I feel equal, I feel like I have someone who has my back. Not every gay person, jumps for joy when they see another gay person, When I see another gay person I immedietly want to connect, because the fact of that one strong thing we have in common, that they are not judgemental of your sexuality, it is just that bond, that is in some weird way, we are very much alike.

If this makes any sense>>?

Bobby - you seem to totally understand. As someone who is not out, and only to a very few friends, it makes life hard. I suppose this is part of it - finding friends online can be discreet, but also helps with time management in my generation With previous hobbies, I've found a friendship is so much better when you have that key commonality. Real friendships take time to build, and are great when they have your back. The few gay friends I have seem to understand, or mostly understand things better than straight people - because some may have already been there, experienced whatever, and may not be so judgemental when you are having a hard time. I don't think it's weird, friends that you have make up who you are.

Quote:

I get where you are coming from bobby... But I find a lot of gay people I meet in real life to be pretty fucking lame.

I don't consider myself a minority or less equal... so I don't need anyone to 'have my back'. Liking dick is just a small part of my life. Id rather hang out with people because of their overall character... not justbecause they like things in their arse.

Some people I've met just want to get in your pants straight away, I understand what you are saying Justbecause, but I think there's some great people out there!
mudley +

winding up

Times thanked
Well I do believe you can make friends online. My partner & I met on Grindr.... 7 months now and things are great. And also of course I met the superb Light Bearer himself via this very website....
Silver Sircus
Bertie Page Clinic
The Good Ship
The Soundcasters
JustBecause +

Times thanked

Quote:

I think there's some great people out there!

I agree.

I hope you find what you are looking for
sesame +

Banned

Times thanked
Not if u act like ernesto!
Dateon107 +

Interesting

Times thanked
I totally get where youre coming from Blue.

having had a foot in a fair few online 'hookup' sites and grindr for about 3 years now... its really hard to find guys who want to just hang out or if theyre interested in you, not try and jump in your pants first date or show you their penis before their face.

But sticking with it I have made a few cool gay friends I still keep in contact with fairly regularly - they are few and far between though, youve just gotta watch yourself if you do get on these sites that it dosent become a timewaster and youre not spending too much time on them and finding nothing and getting disillusioned with all the sex obsession that gets shoved in your face.

You'll find everyones different with what works for them though - for example for me Manhunt and Grindr have similar penchants in being for mainly hookups but have minor differences in how they operate - Ive found I have a slightly better time and strike rate finding 'normal' guys on grindr than anything else - no cock pics unless they send one and more local guys at the touch of a button - no message limits either or waiting for IM to connect.

You just gotta give it a go and find something that works for you.

Last edited by Dateon107: 29th March 2012 at 11:57 PM

BlueXY +

Sydney, Australia

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dateon107 View Post

I totally get where youre coming from Blue.
... its really hard to find guys who want to just hang out or if theyre interested in you, not try and jump in your pants first date or show you their penis before their face.

You'll find everyones different with what works for them though....

You just gotta give it a go and find something that works for you.

Thanks for your confidence and thoughts Dateon! I just can't wait, looking forward to developing some good friendships which take time. I always remember the saying that it takes forever to make good friends, but takes an instant to lose good friends over stupid arguments or whatever. However good friends stick together in rough times!

Previous Thread  |  Next Thread