trina2004 +

The sexualised fascist.

Times thanked
Default Drag show slammed: 'It's not OK to say tranny'
small world...
The_Admiral +

Times thanked
Ok, correct me if I am wrong. A nameless person now says that only a transgender person can use the word tranny. What a load of bollocks.

How many nights of Tranny Bingo is there and there is never a problem.

Someone is complaining about the new Trevor Ashley show name despite the fact the show has not even had a debut performance.

See the show first before complaining about the show.
Justin Seputra +

1 week until Fair Day! Going to be a great day!

Times thanked
They need to get over it, Trannie is a shortened version of Transexual. The word Faggot (which isn't even short for any word) isn't even that offensive to many, I don't see what the fuss of this is, when the gay production team use the word Trannie to rhyme with one of their characters.
dougster +

chillin' out man

Times thanked
mayb it wood b different if trans peeps were sending themselves up, leik gay comedians do in comedy. but doin' it when ur a gay person & sending up another part of th community doesn't sound 2 kewl 2 me. it'd b leik gays sending up lesbians. offensive is just offensive. trev ashley's v talented coodnt he cum up with sumthing better than this? thats wot i think any way man
Dsquare +

Contemplating life without sanity

Times thanked
When I saw the name of the show in the ad on SS last week I thought there's gonna be tears.

It could go from trAnnie to trAnnie Get Your Gun.

I'm a passive vegetarian. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Last edited by Dsquare: 24th September 2012 at 06:34 PM

MrAsh +

---

Times thanked
I think it's a very insensitive title and before anyone criticises transgender/non-CIS people about voicing their offence, they should consider how much transphobia there is in our society and how it impacts on them daily.

For a trans/non-CIS person to use the term to describe their own idenity is one thing, yet for a CIS person to use the term as a form of satire or ridicule it's definitely not acceptable.

I hope the transgender community takes further action against this scheduled performance.

Last edited by MrAsh: 24th September 2012 at 10:25 PM

Deez +

Times thanked
hey great free publicity to make it a bigger success than what it would have been i'm sure..wish I could go see it, sounds awesome!
The_Admiral +

Times thanked
@MrAsh ... if as you say "I hope the transgender community takes further action against this scheduled performance."

Then they had better start the ball rolling about getting Tranny Bingo banned as well.

This 'protest' has guaranteed Trevor Ashley's show will now be a sell out.
shireboy +

making a time to get out... what time is it ???

Times thanked
gosh... I remember seeing the poster for this show at the Castro last year....

Same Same Media Player
Irene +

Not weird but blessed.

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougster View Post

mayb it wood b different if trans peeps were sending themselves up, leik gay comedians do in comedy. but doin' it when ur a gay person & sending up another part of th community doesn't sound 2 kewl 2 me. it'd b leik gays sending up lesbians. offensive is just offensive. trev ashley's v talented coodnt he cum up with sumthing better than this? thats wot i think any way man

Could you rewrite that in English, please?
Simoneybabe +

Times thanked
In respect of those "tranny bingo"advertisements, the people compering them aren't even transgender women, they are gay men dressing in womens clothes and ridiculing and degrading transgender women.
It's the same as a white man painting himself black with boot polish and then putting up posters saying "boong bingo".
If you are not one of us then don't try to pretend to be for the purposes of ridiculing us.
The_Freak +

.... is Freakalicious

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irene View Post

Could you rewrite that in English, please?

LOL. I tend to find, M/s Irene that you have to read, young fagster's posts v-e-r-y slowly (it's like translating Swahili to English I imagine). I know that Mr Fahed said something similar on another thread to young Mr Dougster about "almost unreadable" posts. It obviously fell on deaf ears.

Perhaps we could start a "drive" to teach this young man some basic English skills?

@MrAsh: I meant no offence to people who speak Swahili or any other African language (just thought I'd get in first & say this)

@Dougster (aka fagster) Yes, your old "Uncle" Freaky is having yet another go at you for the umpteenth time, young man! LOL. And I know you'll basically ignore this as well. But please if you can remember some of us are over the age of .... ummm, well ..... 30yrs and find your posts a hard "slog" at times to read. End of lecture!

"I don't need you to remind me of my age. I have a bladder to do that for me. " - Stephen Fry

Age is a number.....and mine's unlisted

Last edited by The_Freak: 25th September 2012 at 01:53 AM

Reason: learning Swahili whilst typing

Marko +

"I was asked 'do you miss Clinton?' I said yeah I miss him, I'd rather have my president fucking his intern, than fucking the nation" - Paul Mooney

Times thanked
Freaky you are so adorable! I seriously want you as my prison guard if I ever go there! :]

Just for you Freaky! :] *pretty sure I haven't posted this yet!* :P
Same Same Media Player
"Sir" *stands up from wheelchair* "I have a plan" *walks two steps, looks down at feet* "MEIN FUHRER! I CAN WALK!" - Peter Sellers as Dr Strangelove
CeeAy +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marko View Post

Freaky you are so adorable! I seriously want you as my prison guard if I ever go there! :]

Just for you Freaky! :] *pretty sure I haven't posted this yet!* :P

Fantastic! Indeed "what a ridiculous way to earn a living"
Camp David +

Times thanked
So... I had to register to leave this comment... Two options for the gender option only - male, female. Same Same, it might be time to pick up your socks instead of stuffing your undies with them.
Asherbella +

Follow your passions, enrich your heart, embrace peace - make the shadows depart

Times thanked
"It's not what you call me, but what I answer to, that matters"
-Nelson Mandela
PennyClifford +

Times thanked
I am a Tranny and I dont get offended by the use of the word Trannie in the show title, but its often intrigued me when so many crossdressing Drag Queens who have spent their life sending up Transgenders, now like to call themselves Trannys to help themselves make money.
Why not call it Drag Bingo .. I think unless your a Tranny you should not use the word to make $ Its a misrepresentation.
Matt Akersten +

Share the love :-)

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

So... I had to register to leave this comment... Two options for the gender option only - male, female. Same Same, it might be time to pick up your socks instead of stuffing your undies with them.

Yeah. A few people have pointed this out and we agree (except for the sock bit). This sounds lame but since our sign-up system is designed to correspond with Facebook's one, and they have that gender binary too, we can't avoid the male/femaleness. We do make it possible to opt out of that gender question though.

It's frustrating because when SameSame.com.au first started we did have more gender options. And we'll have them again soon I hope.
shazzboy +

Banned

Times thanked
I'm offended that people are offended at being offended. It is so offensive that I am going to continue to be offended until something more offensive offends me.
MsScaryMac +

Times thanked
@The_Admiral;
"Ok, correct me if I am wrong."
I'm doing just that, right now.
"How many nights of Tranny Bingo is there and there is never a problem."
I can tell you that there absolutely have been complaints to the venues regarding the use of the word "tranny".
"Someone is complaining abot the new Trevor Ashley show name despite the fact the show has not even had a debut performance."
More than one person ("someone") is complaining. A whole community of people are upset by this. Regardless of the show not having a debt performance. That is not even relevant. If it was a show called "Dykes" or "Faggots" then I'm sure there'd be a fight against it BEFORE it was premiered. People want to stop it BEFORE it premieres for a reason; they don't want it to be shown at all. It shouldn't be that hard to work that out, even for you.

@Justin Seputra:
"They need to get over it."
Really? Cause you know what it's like to be trans*? You've lived that life, have you?
"Trannie is a shortened version of Transexual."
No shit. Some people also abbreviate Transgender to "tranny/ie" as well.
"The word Faggot... isn't even that offensive to many."
Oh, it isn't? Do you want to tell me what else is/isn't offensive to me? Do you want to tell thousands of others that they're offended by something that "isn't even that offensive"? Yeah, don't start that fight. You'll lose. And I'll laugh.

JUST because you are not offended/degraded by the word "tranny/ie" as a cis or trans* person does not mean that thousands of people aren't as well. If you knew anything about the history of the word or the way it is used today as a derogatory term on the streets to people SIMPLY LIVING THEIR LIVES you could maybe have some sympathy. Maybe.
Educate yourselves. I'm not going to.
Izzy Inn +

Times thanked
Isn't Tranny also short for Transvestite?

Thats what most of the straight people I know think... and aren't they the ones supposedly using the word in the derogatory sense.... I mean they would know, wouldn't they?

Drag Queen friends of mine get called 'Tranny' all the time by straight people, especially straight men (usually in passing cars) just as often as my 'transgender' friends, we have often discussed it.

Why then do 'transgender' people have sole claim over the term???

Whats next, I mean my overweight friends, who also have gone through pain and ridicule their whole lives for their weight don't like the word 'fat'....
Izzy Inn +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennyClifford View Post

I am a Tranny and I dont get offended by the use of the word Trannie in the show title, but its often intrigued me when so many crossdressing Drag Queens who have spent their life sending up Transgenders, now like to call themselves Trannys to help themselves make money.
Why not call it Drag Bingo .. I think unless your a Tranny you should not use the word to make $ Its a misrepresentation.

And you haven't used the fact your a 'tranny' (your own words) to make money??? I have seen you many times perform in acts that rely on the performers being 'trannys' in order to bring crowds in, often topless. So it seems its only ok if your the one making the money (maybe thats what your really upset about!!!).

And aren't you also about to perform at the DIVA Awards? The night that celebrates the accomplishments of the industry you accuse of 'sending up Transgenders'?

Your are a hypocrite! Plain and simple.

Last edited by Izzy Inn: 25th September 2012 at 01:21 PM

Izzy Inn +

Times thanked
And check out this link to a Samesame article....

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/loca...in-Speedos.htm

Trevor's show 'trAnnie' is advertised on the left hand side when you scroll down...

Is Samesame biting the hand that feeds it? It seems that Trevor isn't the only one making money off this show.
lordpats +

the sort of (male) feminist who loves (fucking) men.

Times thanked
There is a difference between a man who dresses up in women's clothing for entertainment, and somebody who is transgendered. Ashley and co are comparing cross dressers who impersonate a gender for entertainment to transgender people who do not impersonate anything but do want to be accepted as the gender (as opposed to the sex) they were born. Do we want transgender people to be mistaken for those who 'impersonate' a gender for the entertainment and amusement of others?
Izzy Inn +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordpats View Post

There is a difference between a man who dresses up in women's clothing for entertainment, and somebody who is transgendered. Ashley and co are comparing cross dressers who impersonate a gender for entertainment to transgender people who do not impersonate anything but do want to be accepted as the gender (as opposed to the sex) they were born. Do we want transgender people to be mistaken for those who 'impersonate' a gender for the entertainment and amusement of others?

So unless their intention is to pursue a transgender lifestyle, men should not be able dress up in women's clothing...

And what about Transgender people who exploit themselves for entertainment... I forgot the rule that said that only 'transgender' people were allowed to explore gender through attire & performance.

And by your standards anything that anyone does that makes another group uncomfortable, should be stopped. I mean, sometimes very girls gay guys who go out wearing make-up but are not in drag make me uncomfortable (and from previous threads many others on this site as well), so should they stop, NO, and the reason why is because the issue is with me, not with them.
Izzy Inn +

Times thanked
I have just googled several dictionary sites...

Dictionary.com
Collinsdictionary.com
macmillandictionary.com
Wiktionary.com
onelook.com

All state it is a shortened term for transvestite, of the 5 only one mentions transgender as well as transvestite.

So I guess from that quick look you could say that it is generally accepted that the word applies more to cross dressers than transgender people seeing as the definition of the word transvestite as "A person who sometimes wears clothes traditionally worn by and associated with the opposite sex; typically a male who cross-dresses occasionally by habit or compulsion".

So can someone tell me why transgender people feel they have a claim over the word?

Bob Williams +

Times thanked
What nonsense... Trannys are what they are! Homosexuals/Gays are Faggots and Transexuals are Trannys. I call myself a Fag all the time. People used to say gay was an offensive word... when will the political correctness end. It's un-Australian to take yourself so seriously all the time and not take the mickey out of yourself once in a while.

I say to gays and trannies alike - own the word and stop taking offence and being the victim!
shazzboy +

Banned

Times thanked
So you're a cigarette? You are disgusting! stop poisoning my lungs!
Light-Bearer +

Sometimes. It's complicated being me.

Times thanked
I think again- it's men telling women- what they can and can't find offensive.

Also- if they gay movement sets it's mind back to say- twenty years ago- words such as " faggot" were considered pretty offensive by " the communtiy" you all claim to be a part of.

Now - the trans/ intersex/ gender/sex diverse movement- though having been around since forever- are at a formulative time in their political development. Though still dangerous- the word has changed and being trans in some countries is safer than it ever has been before. The internet has also allowed trans and intersex people to connect and to realise that they are not alone.

As a result- a most marginalised section of "your community" is finding it's feet and it's voice.
Rather than listening to what they have to say and perhaps learning from it- we are telling them ... yet again- what is acceptable.

It's a bit rich.

Now I know Trevor Ashley isn't meaning to be offensive, and due to his position as a popular gay man in the " communtiy" he may have even felt he had the right/ history/ connection to write a show like this.

But the reality is- he does not. And trans people have a right to be offended if they are.

This does not mean Trevor has to pull the show- it just means an important political dialogue has been opened up- and once again - men are shutting it down
It is no measure of health- to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Light-Bearer +

Sometimes. It's complicated being me.

Times thanked
Is it Ok for Eminem to call gay men faggots.

Many of you had a fucking stroke a piece when Tyler the Creator toured
It is no measure of health- to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Previous Thread  |  Next Thread