switch to: liquid fixed

home > forums > Regions > Sydney

Gay Australian Aboriginals

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
scrubs29223 +

Times thanked
Default Gay Australian Aboriginals
I was just wondering are there a few gay Australian Aboriginals out on the gay scene in Australia. When I was in Sydney a few years ago, I know I saw aboriginals around Oxford St (and heard some not favorable opinions directed against them from a few people) and elsewhere in Sydney but I don't remember meeting any gay ones about in the bars and clubs. Granted I might be making assumptions but the darker folk I talked to /met seemed to be either Africans/Blacks from UK or USA/Pacific Islanders/or a few Latinos from the Americas. I am sure there are some gay Aboriginals as every ethnic group has gay people so do they not hang with non-aboriginals for whatever reason or does their culture make it difficult for them to come out.
hazyinseptember +

quite frankly a threat to the safe and secure operation of society.

Times thanked
Hey scrubs..

we have a few in brissy that are out on the scene.. i think we might even have a party up here called brown sugar for GLBT aboriginals.

Your best bet would to be to contact Acon and ask them.
You are happiest when you make your own music in your own way

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cerulean Heart - Beautiful electronica - www(dot)myceruleanheart.com
scrubs29223 +

Times thanked
thanks for the information. It helped me find some more information on gay Aborigines.... I was trying to see if they had similar cultures to older pre-Christian (some) Native American (Two Spirits) and/or Melanesian practices but seems mostly not except maybe the sister-girls.
mark_ +

_

Times thanked
Do you know this man whose career has been made by being a gay Australian Aboriginal?

Last edited by mark_: 25th January 2012 at 08:28 PM

Reason: I refreshed the link

Light-Bearer +

Sometimes. It's complicated being me.

Times thanked
Lately when you post- I think about this ad. And wonder if someone is paying you for the same

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/03/c..._astroturfers/
It is no measure of health- to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
badamj2000 +

I may, or may not, have any comment at this time.

Times thanked
Black Pearls? There a quite a few gay aboriginals out and about and a few organisations. It is my experience that aboriginals are relatively accepting / cool with/of gays and gay sex and bisexuality. I understand that indigenous gays identify first as being black then 2nd as fag, so something. I've sensed a common bond/ empathy between aboriginals and gays as we are both marginal and discriminated minorities and often live in the inner-city.
mark_ +

_

Times thanked
fair enough, but I have my suspicions about you too dear

That guy above is Mark McMillan who was paid by the federal Govt to do research on Australian Indigenous issues in United States universities
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
Oh Mark, are you playing Devils Advocate again? How charming

Craigslist indeed. One can be paid to vent?

You have a growing non-like-list: Catholics, youth, Labor, various ethnic groups. Shall we get a nice house in a gated-community or perhaps live on a desert isle where we will be free of undesirables?
Light-Bearer +

Sometimes. It's complicated being me.

Times thanked
Pffft.

Everyone knows I'm Tim D's clone.
It is no measure of health- to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
MrAsh +

---

Times thanked
Bump!!! Happy Survival Day!

Casey Conway is an out and proud indigenous Australian, who was also a model for Aussiebum! Hunkalicious!

MrAsh +

---

Times thanked
Does anyone have further information on Sistergirls and Brotherboys?

http://www.genderrights.org.au/index...he-sistergirls

Last edited by MrAsh: 25th January 2012 at 08:26 PM

HubbaHubba +

Times thanked
There are glbt people from all races. Why would anyone assume there weren't any gay aboriginals just because they haven't met any? There are even glbt Eskimos and pigmies, even though I haven't met any.
HubbaHubba +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAsh View Post

Casey Conway is an out and proud indigenous Australian, who was also a model for Aussiebum! Hunkalicious!

is he out proud gay? Or out proud aboriginal?
HubbaHubba +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_ View Post

Do you know this man whose career has been made by being a gay Australian Aboriginal?

I wish my blackness was that hidden when I wanted to hail a taxi!
wiradyurison +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by HubbaHubba View Post

I wish my blackness was that hidden when I wanted to hail a taxi!

Alot of Koories (Generic term for Aboriginal people from NSW/VIC/ACT) are fair skinned. It's just how our genetics pan out. I'm 1/4 Koori genetically if you wanted to see it that way and have blue eyes and fair skin. Just how it is.
sneakos +

when they come, they'll eat the weak ones first ... do crossfit :)

Times thanked
^^^ hey welcome wiradjurison just seen ur profile and prolly th best 'about me' iv read lolz

im also a wiradjuri man - family from trangie, nsw

have fun @ ss
eat clean ...... lift heavy ...... be a boss
trina2004 +

The sexualised fascist.

Times thanked
Trangie ey Sneakos?
I know a gay aboriginal man from there my best mate actually.
Wonderland +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAsh View Post

Bump!!! Happy Survival Day!

Marko +

"I was asked 'do you miss Clinton?' I said yeah I miss him, I'd rather have my president fucking his intern, than fucking the nation" - Paul Mooney

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiradyurison View Post

Alot of Koories (Generic term for Aboriginal people from NSW/VIC/ACT) are fair skinned. It's just how our genetics pan out. I'm 1/4 Koori genetically if you wanted to see it that way and have blue eyes and fair skin. Just how it is.

Another Wiradjuri fulla huh? Welcome to the forums mate. :]
"Sir" *stands up from wheelchair* "I have a plan" *walks two steps, looks down at feet* "MEIN FUHRER! I CAN WALK!" - Peter Sellers as Dr Strangelove
biflab +

connected to the outside world 24/7

Times thanked
I have met several gay Indigenous guys and a couple of TS girls in both Darwin and remote communities. I must say the tolerance and acceptance witnessed towards them should put many to shame. That brings back memories of a good time had in Jabiru with a brutha.
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
Is it all my fault?
I may , or may not be wearing pants
biflab +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by badamj2000 View Post

Is it all my fault?

What? You mean you haven't realised this yet? Why do you think we include/indulge you in our conversations?
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
Its because you all wuv me.

I live in Redfern and talk to Aboriginals everyday. My good friend Leanne is on-with a nice aboriginal man and looks after his kids. I deserve a medal of some kind.

I don't have a problem with a little welfare rort by indigenous Aussies, if you don't have a problem with vast institutionalised 'white-collar' crime and privilege. Indigenous Australians still have a much smaller than proportionate share of the national-cake. White- collars get free/low interest loans, negative gearing , tax dodging , perks of all kinds etc etc, I'm in favour of a little black positive-discrimination for the foreseeable future.
NATEE +

"Gravity release me"

Times thanked
To be 'politically correct' shouldn't we say Gay Indigenous Australians. Just a thought!
mark_ +

_

Times thanked
(I hear there's an eviction today to appease the Greeks http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/t...-1226357212245)
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
I was watching that . What was it all about? It looked pretty low-key. No kittens or beer-fairies were harmed...
Marko +

"I was asked 'do you miss Clinton?' I said yeah I miss him, I'd rather have my president fucking his intern, than fucking the nation" - Paul Mooney

Times thanked
Least it was non-violent.
"Sir" *stands up from wheelchair* "I have a plan" *walks two steps, looks down at feet* "MEIN FUHRER! I CAN WALK!" - Peter Sellers as Dr Strangelove
biflab +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by NATEE View Post

To be 'politically correct' shouldn't we say Gay Indigenous Australians. Just a thought!

Not really. Indigenous is a balanda (white) term. Many first Australians recognise themselves by their nation, eg Koori or Yolgnu or use Aborigine. Aboriginal is an adjective often misused as a noun.
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
Hippy but fair enough.
sneakos +

when they come, they'll eat the weak ones first ... do crossfit :)

Times thanked
cant help myself here

re ^^^^ (above)

Indigenous is not th PC term as biflab has stated, however, (my experience) is that ud be hard pressed to find any Aboriginal person who identifies as Aborigine. Th more common and respectful term is Aboriginal (and/or Torres Strait Islander) person or peoples

Also, Koori is a region (south east Australia) rather than a nation, and th nation(s) that an Aboriginal person would identify with are (for example) Wiradjuri, Bundjalung, Wodi Wodi, etc etc

Iv worked in and with Aboriginal communities in NSW, Qld and th NT for more than a decade now (including with some of th clans that make up th Yolngu peoples of North East Arnhem land, and I have kinship connections to th Gupapuyngu clan in NE Arnhem land as well as my home country, Wiradjuri in western NSW)

Im being 'picky' but this stuff is really important to me
eat clean ...... lift heavy ...... be a boss
Page 1 of 2

Previous Thread  |  Next Thread