Page 3 of 3
  Tools
tricky28 +

I'm wasting my time again

Times thanked
Same Same Media Player
Sister Act- I Will Follow Him - YouTube

jesus 4eva
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid."
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light-Bearer View Post

god has had his day.

It is time for reason to prevail.

In time.
Jesus will be as quaint as the classical gods

Well then... Let us reason together my friend.

According to Dictionary.com, 'Reason' can be defined as: to think or argue logically.

I'd love to see you form a logical argument that proves beyond a doubt that God doesn't exist. (Yes that's a challenge.)

As an astronomer, I consider myself more than a little familiar with the processes of scientific method. I have a well developed understanding of astro, theoretical, quantum and applied physics.
I'm also reasonably well versed in various disciplines of philosophical thought, having studied it a number of times during my 12 years of higher education. Yet, I know that I can't make that argument, and beleive me I've tryed. The closest I can claim is a reasonable assumption that there is no god.

If you can make that argument I'll be the first in line to hail you as the greatest thinker of our time.

Until you do, I would suggest that comments such as those in some of the previous posts, are not only insulting to those who have a faith belief, but also unfounded, erroneous, conceited and as full of bigotry as some christians have for us. Don't believe it is bigotry? Then here is what dictionary.com has to say about bigotry: Stubborn and complete intollerance for any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from ones own.
Up, up and away.
tricky28 +

I'm wasting my time again

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

I'd love to see you form a logical argument that proves beyond a doubt that God doesn't exist. (Yes that's a challenge.)

Well you're not a very good scientist if you are seriously proposing this as logical.

I'll leave it to Bertrand Russell to explain...

Quote:

In an article titled "Is There a God?" commissioned, but never published, by Illustrated magazine in 1952, Russell wrote:

Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time

"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid."
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricky28 View Post

Well you're not a very good scientist if you are seriously proposing this as logical.

I'll leave it to Bertrand Russell to explain...

Good point. I used the same argument and the same quote myself a few years ago. Busy now but will respond to this later this afternoon.
Up, up and away.
badamj2000 +

I may, or may not, have any comment at this time.

Times thanked
Jesus may or may not have been 'gay' himself...
He was also not anti sex-workers.
Lets face it, those traditional Jewish types were very strict about sexual matters.
NewFarmer +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by badamj2000 View Post

Jesus may or may not have been 'gay' himself...
He was also not anti sex-workers.
Lets face it, those traditional Jewish types were very strict about sexual matters.

Again, how would anyone possibly know? He may or may not have been a lot of things.
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
OMG, you may or may not be soo right
Light-Bearer +

Sometimes. It's complicated being me.

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

Well then... Let us reason together my friend.

According to Dictionary.com, 'Reason' can be defined as: to think or argue logically.

As an astronomer, I consider myself more than a little familiar with the processes of scientific method. I have a well developed understanding of astro, theoretical, quantum and applied physics.
I'm also reasonably well versed in various disciplines of philosophical thought, having studied it a number of times during my 12 years of higher education. Yet, I know that I can't make that argument, and beleive me I've tryed. The closest I can claim is a reasonable assumption that there is no god.

If you can make that argument I'll be the first in line to hail you as the greatest thinker of our time.

Until you do, I would suggest that comments such as those in some of the previous posts, are not only insulting to those who have a faith belief, but also unfounded, erroneous, conceited and as full of bigotry as some christians have for us. Don't believe it is bigotry? Then here is what dictionary.com has to say about bigotry: Stubborn and complete intollerance for any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from ones own.

Intellect is not relevant when discussing these things.

Many intelligent people believe crazy things.

Many people believe in gods as they fear death. They fear what comes after life. And many- due to the things they have been told in their childhoods- fear going to hell.

Fear and guilt make people irrational

I was brought up to be godless.
Jesus was never allowed in our house.
Yet when I was five- I remember one of my aunts taking me to a church and showing me a painting on the wall. The painting was very much Renaissance in style- and showed people being boiled in oil- in a place that I would only assume to be Hell.

She told me- that if I was gay- this would be my fate.

As a child. I was terrified- until my mother explained my aunt was on my father's side- and a complete mad woman.

Years later- I find myself bedding an Irish catholic boy. Who will do everything except ejaculate. He tells me- if he ejaculates during sex with a man- this would mean he enjoys it and thus be " really gay".
If he didn't ejaculate- he believed he was still "straight and sinless"
He was a doctor.
It is no measure of health- to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Last edited by Light-Bearer: 15th September 2011 at 09:13 PM

beingurself2 +

seeing whats happening

Times thanked
If "What the Bible ACTUALLY says about being Gay " book stops just one confused "str8" christian boy from killing himself, then its a good thing :-)
ducknroll +

Grace. Poise. Boags!!!!!!!!

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAsh View Post

Yes that was one of my Mr Strange random remarks!

badamj2000 +

Times thanked
I believe only in Kylie.
Light-Bearer +

Times thanked
I am very much a product of these topsy turvy times.

Television was my mother and cinema was my wet nurse.

As a result.
I trust only in the unity of money and machine gun.
rainbowpoppy +

sleepy.

Times thanked
I think the original post was to provide feedback to people who try to bible bash gays. It seems a little narrow minded to turn this into a "does God exist" debate.

People should feel free to believe what they believe without condemnation just as people should be free to love who love without condemnation.

When people quote or discuss the bible they are not trying to convert you, just as someone gay being proud of who they are is not trying to "convert" others.

My religion:

First do no harm

Live and let live.
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
The Bible has a chapter on Wysy
badamj2000 +

Times thanked
Is the bible , really all about me? I often wonder...
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowpoppy View Post

I think the original post was to provide feedback to people who try to bible bash gays. It seems a little narrow minded to turn this into a "does God exist" debate.

People should feel free to believe what they believe without condemnation just as people should be free to love who love without condemnation.

When people quote or discuss the bible they are not trying to convert you, just as someone gay being proud of who they are is not trying to "convert" others.

My religion:

First do no harm

Live and let live.

Very good point and well said.
Up, up and away.
tyson +

thanks Mr Sandman!

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowpoppy View Post

My religion:

First do no harm

Live and let live.

matt_dad +

having fun

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light-Bearer View Post

Hell is never even actually really mentioned in the Bible and Jesus never really spoke about it.

The general belief in the old days was- that once Christ had actually died on the cross- ALL of humanity was saved. Regardless of any action.
St Paul- addresses this- when he says " You are saved by grace and not by works- so no man can boast"

Therefore- even fisting pedos are going to heaven. Cos Jesus died for them

I feel I need to correct you on this point. Jesus spoke about Hell more than he talked about heaven. There are heaps of scriptures on it.
Lazzarus +

I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule,not to bewail,not to scorn human actions,but to understand them

Times thanked

Let it go people...
matt_dad +

having fun

Times thanked
Let it go? I just grabbed hold of it :-). Regardless of what you believe - I grow weary of some people throwing judgement call out there as if it were an undisputed fact. A simple "I believe ______" clause (to preceed statements like tyson made) would be suggested.
Light-Bearer +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazzarus View Post

Let it go people...

No.

As much as I hate religion and the concept of a god, this is just my opinion and belief.

Even though these conversations can get heated. I think in 2011, it's important we have these dialogues.

What ever one's position.
Edward The Shy +

One who is getting to know himself better

Times thanked
This was from the Age in Melbourne:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/re...126-1o0i0.html
Edward The Shy +

One who is getting to know himself better

Times thanked
Here is just a personal reflection that was sent to me:

http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-chr...ay.html?mid=53
Page 3 of 3

Previous Thread  |  Next Thread