Australia

Equality, or a politically-motivated-queer-ideology?

Tools
Hayche +

Times thanked
Default Equality, or a politically-motivated-queer-ideology?
The gay marriage debate is making head-way once again, with new labour party advocates endorsing a marriage reform that would extend to same-sex couples as a constitutional right. While I certainly do promote such a legislative reform in favour of gay marriage, I could not help feeling somewhat disheartened by the rational adopted by politicos fuelling the debate. Personally, the fact that we need to debate such legislation belays, to me, that Australia is perhaps not quite ready for gay marriage; nevertheless, politicians are distorting a very simple topic by persuing an agenda to gain wider votes from sympathisers, yet avoid what our community truly set-out to do: address the fundamental issue of 'equality' across the nation, not just this particular issue in our community.

Community, to me, is a number of minorities making a majority, all with a common purpose. Not only is there an inequality in the LGBTI community, xenophobia continues to exist across the community at large. I am Australian, I was born here, however I do not feel that is what defines me as Australian. I am certainly not suggesting, or even insinuating for that matter, that everyone in the community at large possesses prejudice views, I still feel we have a long way to go even in our own LGBTI community. Until Australia truly endorses acceptance across all communities, prejudice will remain no matter the outcome and somewhat tarnish the enjoyment of equal marriage. While I believe we are paving the way for future generations; with the gay community such a diverse array of innovative, educated and ‘well placed’ peoples in every community - should we not be exploiting our position further and address what truly matters: equality, and expand this ideology to accept all cultures, no matter the religion, belief, colour or background: all of which have contributed to our nations prosperity and made Australia so great.

Last edited by Hayche: 4th August 2011 at 07:21 PM

Barrin +

Rose-coloured glasses don't come in my prescription.

Times thanked
The first sentence is wrong. Marriage in Australia is not a constitutional right. Section 51 of the Constitution merely gives the Commonwealth the power to make laws regarding marriage. It's summarised here by constitutional expert, Professor George Williams.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...927-15u0k.html
badamj2000 +

I may, or may not, have any comment at this time.

Times thanked
Omg
MrAsh +

---

Times thanked
If I ruled the world.
shazzboy +

Banned

Times thanked
I really wish people would utilise paragraphs more frequently.
AWOL +

a person. Probably. Maybe. Okay, not really.

Times thanked
Go visit a (non-Christian) Australian high school. Discrimination of any type is practically non-existent. It's really surprising.
gocrazy +

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWOL View Post

Go visit a (non-Christian) Australian high school. Discrimination of any type is practically non-existent. It's really surprising.

i dont find it surprising at all really, especially in the influx of multiculturalism in suburban areas also
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.
- John Lennon
AWOL +

a person. Probably. Maybe. Okay, not really.

Times thanked
I'm in highschool, and I find it surprising. I mean, I can logically see why it's the case. "It's Australia" kind of sums up all the individual points. But being raised by people telling you about rampant discrimination, it's kind of... Shocking.
gocrazy +

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWOL View Post

I'm in highschool, and I find it surprising. I mean, I can logically see why it's the case. "It's Australia" kind of sums up all the individual points. But being raised by people telling you about rampant discrimination, it's kind of... Shocking.

im in high school also, and i blame a decline in moralities and religion and also the media influence, no one gives a dam if you didnt go to a church that preaches hate and blah blah blah, its kinda hard to discriminate with the law punishing the perpetrators if you know what i mean
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.
- John Lennon

Previous Thread  |  Next Thread