switch to: liquid fixed

home > forums > Regions > Brisbane

Star Gayzers Astronomy Club - Oct Event

Tools
chrisj76 +

mmm

Times thanked
Default Star Gayzers Astronomy Club - Oct Event
As Part of the International Observe The Moon Night, Star Gayzers are holding a Car Rally, Race to the moon.

Details below.

The Rally Starts at Brisbane Planetarium, then heads off to our undisclosed location in greater Brisbane.

The first prize for the wining team will be 4 passes to see any show at the Planetarium. Plus minnor prizes for other things.

People should ensure that every team has a map of Brisbane (preferable a referdex), $2.50 per team as there will be a challege that requires buying something on route.

Also a phone camera or digi cam for every team. It may also help earn extra points if every team has a phone with internet access.

If you don't have a car but want to do it, then let us know and we will try to slot people in another team

Entry Cost $7.50 Per Team Member

So get your teams together now and register your team at www.stargayzers.org

Last edited by chrisj76: 25th September 2011 at 11:38 AM

tyson +

thanks Mr Sandman!

Times thanked
But when, bumberlina?
Thrawn04 +

Is now an approved member of the Star Wars costuming groups the 501st Legion and the Rebel Legion :D Expect to see me at GoldNova 2013 and Dreamworld on May the 4th weekend :D

Times thanked
It's on Saturday 8th October.

Visit the above link for more details and to respond to participate

I am looking forward to this!!!
"May the Force be with you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
"Good. Twice the pride, double the fall!" - Count Dooku
"Welcome to my new Empire, Doctor" - Davros
Thrawn04 +

Is now an approved member of the Star Wars costuming groups the 501st Legion and the Rebel Legion :D Expect to see me at GoldNova 2013 and Dreamworld on May the 4th weekend :D

Times thanked
PS - I have sent my "rsvp" email to [email protected]
Thrawn04 +

Times thanked
Further Info - We will also be having a BBQ Sausage sizzle at the undisclosed destination. Weather permitting we shall stick around until the evening to observe the moon - knowing that all through tonight that millions of people will be observing the moon through binoculars and telescopes

Also if you do have binoculars or telescopes do bring them along for a better view
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked
It is going to be the best Star Gayzers event yet.

Who doesn't like playing rocket ships? If you have ever wanted to race to the moon here is your chance.
Up, up and away.
RadisCarpis +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

Who doesn't like playing rocket ships?

ducknroll +

Grace. Poise. Boags!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha........you're a bad person

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAsh View Post

Yes that was one of my Mr Strange random remarks!

Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked
LOL... That reminds me of a joke that was going around at the time of that incident.

What does NASA stand for?

Need Another Seven Astronauts.
Up, up and away.
Thrawn04 +

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

LOL... That reminds me of a joke that was going around at the time of that incident.

What does NASA stand for?

Need Another Seven Astronauts.

I guess now it should stand for Need Another Space Agency (oooo burned - like rocket fuel (ooooo (I can be terrible sometimes)))
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked
lol... Clever. I like it.
Up, up and away.
ducknroll +

Grace. Poise. Boags!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
How is it looking so far? I have a car but hate driving so want to avoid that......

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAsh View Post

Yes that was one of my Mr Strange random remarks!

Thrawn04 +

Times thanked
On a side note - Reminder that tomorrow night (Oct 5th) at 7:30pm at New Farm is our monthly meetup!

The focus of the night will be Mars. Everyone is asked to come a long armed with 3 facts about Mars. Do your best to find facts that others may not have found. It should be another really good meeting and a great opportunity to form teams and talk about strategies for the following Saturday's big event "Race to the Moon".

Come along if you can and be merry!
Ihavenoidea +

using the intarwebs

Times thanked
A referdex? I have one that dates back to the early 00's, so probably a bit out of date. Is a GPS ok to use?

Will check to see if I'm around. I'm new, so haven't a team, but have a few spare seats.
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihavenoidea View Post

A referdex? I have one that dates back to the early 00's, so probably a bit out of date. Is a GPS ok to use?

Will check to see if I'm around. I'm new, so haven't a team, but have a few spare seats.

Hi Ihavenoidea

A GPS should be ok. There is one part that ay be a little harder without a referdex, but still possible. Don't want to to give anything away, so wont say to much more.

It would be great to have you come along on Saturday, Im sure we can find you a team mate/s. In fact Thrawn needs someone with a car to team up with. Maybe he can be your co-pilot.

What do you think Thrawn?

Also it would be really good if you could come to our meeting tomorrow night. that way you can meet some of the group regulars. Email me for address info. [email protected] It is in New Farm at 7:30pm Tomorrow (Wednesday)
Up, up and away.

Last edited by Sirius: 4th October 2011 at 10:35 PM

Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducknroll View Post

How is it looking so far? I have a car but hate driving so want to avoid that......

Not sure on numbers yet... but the event itself will be a lot of fun. The more people with cars who are willing and/or able to drive the better. Maybe you could come to our meeting tomorrow and see if you can build a team. You might find someone looking for a co-pilot. or maybe you have some friends who will who you can drag along.
Up, up and away.
Ihavenoidea +

using the intarwebs

Times thanked
Thanks Sirius

Already booked out for tomorrow evening, unfortunately. And nothing fun either. Sorry!
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihavenoidea View Post

Thanks Sirius

Already booked out for tomorrow evening, unfortunately. And nothing fun either. Sorry!

No problem. Can I book you in for sure on Saturday? If so I can find you a team mate.
Up, up and away.
Ihavenoidea +

using the intarwebs

Times thanked
3.30 at the planetarium car park? Yes, should be good for that. How are we recognising each other?
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked
PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Unfortunately the weather is not going to be good on Saturday. Not just rain but storms are predicted.

As a result, at our meeting last night, we decided to POSTPONE the rally. It WILL NOT be on this Saturday (8th).

The new date will be the 5th November. Same time (3:30pm) same place (Brisbane Planetarium). There will still be 4 free passes to the planetarium for the winning team, plus minor prizes for other places. It will still be the Star Gayzers event of the year. It shouldn't be missed.

To book email [email protected]
Up, up and away.
tyson +

thanks Mr Sandman!

Times thanked
Hooray! I should be able to make it then.

Also

Hooray for storms!
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyson View Post

Hooray! I should be able to make it then.

Also

Hooray for storms!

Cool... I hope you can make it. It should be heaps of fun. There will be the perfect photo op included in the rally. It will be right up your alley I think.

We missed you on Wednesday night. We are all experts on Mars now. Ian made lovely sandwiches instead to soup. Oh oh... and we also had gingerbread men. I bet no other astronomy group can say they had gingerbread men.
Up, up and away.
tyson +

thanks Mr Sandman!

Times thanked
Damn. I really love gingerbread. I was at A Chorus Line which was dreadful.

I want a bear to make me sandwiches and gingerbread men.

A photo-op right up my alley! Sounds painful.
Sirius +

Not online often

Times thanked

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyson View Post

A photo-op right up my alley! Sounds painful.

It won't be that bad... I promise!

Although I can guarantee Uranus will be involved
Up, up and away.
RadisCarpis +

Times thanked
Sweet, ought to be able to make it. I plan to beat you all as I have a four-cylinder Camry and I've been crowned the drift king of my block. Also, I have seats for those who don't value their health/lives.
Thrawn04 +

Times thanked
BUMP!

Just a reminder that next Saturday 5th Nov will be the rearranged Race to the Moon, starting from the Brisbane Planetarium at 3.30pm
tyson +

thanks Mr Sandman!

Times thanked
Wahoo. I want to do this.

Previous Thread  |  Next Thread