Image for Orlando wants marriage equality for his mum

Orlando wants marriageequality for his mum

“My name is Orlando Burcham, I am 11 years old and I would like to know why you don’t allow ‘gay marriage’ in Australia.”

So began a Newcastle schoolboy’s letter to Prime Minister Tony Abbott, which has now been answered.

“Because the majority of Australians are happily married, so why are you stopping all the gay men/women to be married in this beautiful country?” he continued.

“You were elected to represent our country, not yourself.”

“My mother is gay and even worse your own sister is gay! And thousands more are as well. You have actually met my mum Councillor Cordelia Troy who is a member of the Liberal Party and she was deputy major at the time.

“It is so pathetic that you aren’t letting the gay people of Australia and other countries get married here. Millions of people in the world and when they come to Australia and think ‘wow this place is great1 Let’s get married here!’ And then they remember that they can’t. So they spend thousands of dollars to go somewhere they can get married. My mum is married but she had to go to New York, which took a lot of money.

“You were elected to represent our country, not yourself. Just because you think it’s wrong, does not give you the right to make it illegal. Doesn’t our opinions matter to you? Just because you’re the Prime Minister, which by the way does not give you all the power.

“I hope you change your mind.”

A few days after sending his letter, Orlando was excited to receive a reply from the PM. It read:

“Dear Orlando,

“Thank you for letting me know your views about same sex marriage.

“I appreciate the deep feelings that many in the community have on either side of the issue.

“The Government supports the current definition of marriage contained in the Marriage Act 1961. Any change to this policy would be a matter for the Coalition Party Room.

“My personal opinion is to support the existing definition of marriage.

“Though we disagree on this issue, I respect the views you have put forward.

“Ongoing dialogue between government and citizens keeps our democracy strong.

“Thank you again for writing to me.”

Orlando says he was happy to get PM Abbot’s reply back but was disappointed by Abbott’s message in it.

“I’m so proud of my boy,” says his mum. “He’s got such a beautiful heart for justice. He sat and wrote this one night after hearing a news report. the only hint was ‘mum, how do you spell beautiful?’ then ‘how do you spell pathetic?’” she laughs.

Sharing the letter and the reply on the Australian Marriage Equality Facebook page last week, Orlando was thrilled to read many supportive messages from folks who agreed with his letter and were inspired my the school kid’s message.

Here he is reading all the comments. Nice work Orlando!

Comments

braveduck

braveduck said on the 9th Jun, 2014

Well done Orlando! Keep it up :)

Jamus

Jamus said on the 9th Jun, 2014

I am very, very proud of you young man. Compassionate, caring and thinking young people like you give us all hope for the future!

Ranggatang

Ranggatang said on the 9th Jun, 2014

I'm stoked that he would have read my comment. Good on you Orlando!

sneakos

sneakos said on the 9th Jun, 2014

awesome kid - well done mate

damien_m

damien_m said on the 9th Jun, 2014

Thanks Orlando! You are a great kid! Keep it up!

stevieleigh

stevieleigh said on the 9th Jun, 2014

This kid has been raised right.

LneooenL

LneooenL said on the 11th Jun, 2014

Love is love. An 11 year old Orlando can see it. Yet the man with the most power in the country can't.

BenH77

BenH77 said on the 11th Jun, 2014

Well Done Orlando Your an Amazing Kid Your Moms should be Very Proud of you Keep up the good Fight Marriage Equality will happen

LongBondagedoesit4me

LongBondagedoesit4me said on the 12th Jun, 2014

I think that Orlando was brave to write this letter, and I fully support his views. I am a gay male in my sixties, all my friends are aware of it, I came out years ago. The only reason I have not tried to get married is that I have never found the person I want to share my life with.

1953fml

1953fml said on the 12th Jun, 2014

Keep on Orlando keep showing the Abbotts of the world that all you neeed for a great upbringing is a family who love and repect you and each other and it simply doesn't matter whether that Family is a woman and a man or two women or two Men. You my friend are the future Thanks

coast_boy_21

coast_boy_21 said on the 12th Jun, 2014

An 11 year old with a better grasp on reality and the concept of fairness than the PM. Why am I not surprised?

petersj

petersj said on the 13th Jun, 2014

Orlando you have the respect of the gay community. Thank you.

Matt Akersten

Matt Akersten said on the 13th Jun, 2014

It's been amazing to see this story go VERY viral across the world in recent days, on countless news websites, gay and mainstream alike. Orlando should be proud. Abbott should be ashamed.

MrAsh said on the 13th Jun, 2014

Matt has Tony Abbott's sister Christine Forster made any comment on this story yet?

Matt Akersten

Matt Akersten said on the 14th Jun, 2014

Not that I've seen, Ash. I'd imagine she'd be on Orlando's side here! And Tony Abbott's been in America this week so there's been no chance for direct questions to him on it.

Orlando on Studio 10: http://www.samesame.com.au/news/11023/Orlando-Everything-should-be-fair-in-this-country

ForeverSeventeen

ForeverSeventeen said on the 22nd Jun, 2014

99% sure this eleven year old would make a better PM than Abbott.