Was James Dean gay?

A new film is set to ruffle feathers, dealing with long-held rumours of a Hollywood icon’s closeted sexuality.

A trailer for a new James Dean biopic is now doing the rounds, chronicling the brief life of the 1950’s Hollywood icon. And if you’re expecting just another one of those films depicting the late star’s manliness smoking cigarettes and riding a motorcycle, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

For decades, there has long been speculation of the true nature of James Dean’s sexuality, and now Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean is set to cast a fresh new light on the private life of the iconic film star while tackling the rumours around his sexuality and what someone is willing to do for fame in the sordid Hollywood of a repressed era.

It’s the debut feature from film-maker Matthew Mishory and, unlike previous James Dean biopics, this version doesn’t dodge Dean’s long-rumoured bisexuality. In fact, judging from the trailer, the film embraces it.

James Preston (The Gates), stars in the role of Dean as he’s followed in the period leading up to his breakout success, mostly set in California’s Mojave desert. Starring alongside Preston in this sexy, mysterious setting is openly gay Queer as Folk star Robert Gant and The L Word’s Erin Daniels.

Check out the trailer below…

While the film is yet to find a distributor, judging from the beautiful cinematography and brave content, hopefully it won’t be long before it hits a cinema near you.

What are your thoughts on James Dean’s sexuality?

Comments

chadstjames

chadstjames said on the 17th Jan, 2012

So can't wait to see this flick!!

Marko

Marko said on the 17th Jan, 2012

I'm thinking bi like Marlon brando, wouldn't be far from the truth.

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 17th Jan, 2012

He had male and female lovers.

I think Kenneth Anger said - his nick name was the human ashtray- cos he liked to have male lovers put cigarettes out on his chest.

Hot

MrAsh said on the 17th Jan, 2012

We will never know the truth. Let the man be in peace.

TheOldie said on the 17th Jan, 2012

He had male and female lovers.

Hot

yep I read that book.

It talked about how he liked guys to stub out their cigarette butts on him.

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 17th Jan, 2012

I like the story (rumour?) that on the set of Giant Rock Hudson spent all his time chasing James Dean while Elizabeth Taylor spent all her time chasing Rock (I said Rock).

Actually I wouldn't say no to being in the middle of a James Dean-Marlon Brando sandwich. Marlon Brando *makes Homer drooling noise*

mervotron

mervotron said on the 17th Jan, 2012

Marlon Brando *makes Homer drooling noise*

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 17th Jan, 2012

It's in A Streetcar Named Desire he get's me particularly wet.

Actually, that last pic ain't so great, but I had to include the "STELLA!!!!" moment.

mervotron

mervotron said on the 17th Jan, 2012

I do find it amusing that the James Dean thread slowly became a Marlon Brando thread... trolololol

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 17th Jan, 2012

I said I'd have them both. Individually or together, I'm not fussy.

rudeboy86

rudeboy86 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

He had male and female lovers.

Hot

Thanks for sharing that...I will remember this fondly.

neal james

neal james said on the 18th Jan, 2012

boring. as. fuck.

tell me: is ryan gosling bi? that's what i wanna know.

NATEE

NATEE said on the 18th Jan, 2012

To be honest guys big chance he was bisexual. Many actors are, I already know two popular hollywood male actors that play on the same team. The fear of coming out could hinder their reputation or their careers. So for them it is safe to play the 'straight guy' just in case. Some directors/producers in Hollywood are still very conservative when it comes to sexuality.

Besides a lot of bi/gay guys are very creative from dancers to actors to muscians to artists and so on.

punxsutawney phil

punxsutawney phil said on the 18th Jan, 2012

anyways, unless you care to interfere with corpses, live in the now!

please tell me someone else has seen 'drive' or 'blue valentine'?

mark_ said on the 18th Jan, 2012

was brando polish? Wiki is closed so I can't find out.

what's so special about this goose-faced gosling man? Should I be paying $16 to find out?

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 19th Jan, 2012

If James Dean was gay then good on him.
The Hollywood system being as it was in the 50's was stringently orchestrative of public imagery concerning celebrities.
Studios grromed 'their' brand on to its' 'moneyspinners'.
Dirk Bogarte was gay.
Montgomery Clift was gay.
Rock Hudson was gay.
Why aren't we talking about them?
What is it about the mystique of James Dean?
You can't replicate or bottle it.
He was one of a kind.
R.I.P. James Dean.

neal james

neal james said on the 19th Jan, 2012

was brando polish? Wiki is closed so I can't find out.

the nationality of others and the cost of living really seems to be an obsession with you, huh?
guess you'll have to suck it and see... but if you do like 'drive', try 'bronson' also. same director (who's danish, btw).

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 19th Jan, 2012

But what is his annual income? And most importantly, is he Catholic?

MrAsh said on the 19th Jan, 2012

was brando polish? Wiki is closed so I can't find out.

German, Dutch, English, and IRISH.

MrAsh said on the 19th Jan, 2012

Christian scientist.

mark_ said on the 19th Jan, 2012

Everyone is obsessed with the cost of food, rent, etc, aren’t they? Well, I suppose children aren’t interested in it… and inmates in prison and asylums aren’t.

I’m interested in facts and the real world. I believe in calling a spade as a spade. I'm not one of those who draw the veil of mystery , the veil of sanctity, the veil of the PC Doctrines across things in the real world.

My last boyfriend took me to his church gatherings with all its strange rituals, protocols and intrigue. They were myriads of painted plaster statues to the various idols around the room. Halfway through, the man in the heavy robes threw his hands in the air and proclaimed to the ceiling 'let us proclaim the mystery of faith'

Rudeboy often lectures me against speaking the truth. He says 'certain things must be left unsaid' he says. I tell him that I understand the concept of Justice wearing the blindfold of impartiality but his PC Dogmas are telling scientists, anthropologists and police detectives to also wear the blindfold.

Brad1456

Brad1456 said on the 4th Feb, 2012

Pretty Excited about this film.... cant wait =)

wysi

wysi said on the 7th Feb, 2012

not cool to discuss dead guys...they cannot defend themselves from the grave.

now, is Ian Thorpe gay?

flounder

flounder said on the 8th Feb, 2012

Is it true that Ian Thorpe is James Deans love child?