Image for George Clooney – Gay rumours don't hurt me

George Clooney – Gay rumoursdon't hurt me

Like all very eligible Hollywood bachelors, George Clooney has gay rumours swirl around him – and in a new interview he addresses them head-on.

“I think it’s funny, but the last thing you’ll ever see me do is jump up and down, saying, ‘These are lies!’,” the mild-mannered 50-year-old tells The Advocate. “That would be unfair and unkind to my good friends in the gay community.

“I’m not going to let anyone make it seem like being gay is a bad thing,” he adds. “My private life is private, and I’m very happy in it. Who does it hurt if someone thinks I’m gay?

“I’ll be long dead and there will still be people who say I was gay. I don’t give a shit.”

Clooney is hitting the stage in LA this week in a new production about the legal struggle for marriage equality in the state. The play 8 is named after the Proposition 8 law reform designed to ban same-sex marriage in California, looks at the fraught legal trial over the legislation.

Clooney himself is a supporter of marriage equality. “One day the marriage equality fight will look as archaic as George Wallace standing on the University of Alabama steps keeping James Hood from attending college because he was black,” he reasons. “People will be embarrassed to have been on the wrong side.

“So it’s encouraging to know that this too will seem like such a silly argument to our next generation. There are even a lot of young conservatives today for whom marriage equality isn’t an issue. It always takes government an extra generation to catch up to the people.

“Every time we’ve stood against equality, we’ve been on the wrong side of history… It’s the same kind of argument they made when they didn’t want blacks to serve in the military, or when they didn’t want blacks to marry whites.”

Comments

DavoJimbo

DavoJimbo said on the 2nd Mar, 2012

woof! he gets sexier as he ages - he is almost ready to pick.

Gilco

Gilco said on the 2nd Mar, 2012

it's the grey hair ^^

Virgindirk

Virgindirk said on the 2nd Mar, 2012

A very talented, intellegent,sophisticated man.

TheOldie said on the 2nd Mar, 2012

I like the rumour of why he has the villa in Italy. Some local flavour.

but yep he gets hotter as he gets older.

NATEE

NATEE said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Mate spot on. Hats down to you.

anthonyfever

anthonyfever said on the 2nd Jan, 2014

This guy has a bigger ego than Kanye West but plays the Hollywood game so smoothly that nobody ever calls him out on it.

Virgindirk

Virgindirk said on the 3rd Jan, 2014

Its Hollywood, everybody has ego the size of a jumbo jet. But unlike Kanye, George clooney isn't stupid enough to hook up with a publicity hungry bimbo like Kim Kardashian. He doesn't bag out the paparazzi and the tabloid mags on 1 day then happily accept million dollar cheques from the same magazines the next day to show off pictures of wedding/honeymoon/son's birth etc etc He certainly wouldn't rudely interrupt a winners speech at an award show and tell the whole world the other nominees were better.

Comparing Kanye West with George Clooney is like comparing a baseball cap with an Armani suit.

anthonyfever

anthonyfever said on the 3rd Jan, 2014

Clooney is a limited actor who has never tested his artistic limits. He’s George Clooney in every role. His mannerisms, the way he talks, it’s always the same. His characters don’t seem much different to me, not good acting. Gets tiring after a while. Kanye is an industry legend, continuously reinventing his image and testing his artistic limits. He’s genuinely passionate about his craft. His latest music video “Bound 2 ft. Kim Kardashian” was a big risk and took balls to release. George Clooney would never put himself out there like that and make himself an easy target for public ridicule. He’s too safe, too vanilla.

He’s as much a publicity whore as Kim Karadshian. When he has a new movie coming out he pays a young aspiring model to play his girlfriend on the red carpet. That’s where the gay rumours originated from. At least Kanye is real about who he dates. He didn’t just hook up with Kardashian; he started a family with her.

Taylor Swift was just another beautiful, blonde countrygirl before Kanye interrupted her speech. He turned her into a relatable megacelebrity overnight, an icon for victims of bullying and angsty teenage girls everywhere. It did wonders for her media image and she’s probably grateful.

Virgindirk

Virgindirk said on the 4th Jan, 2014

Kayne's video with Kim a big risk? are you kidding???? It was just him on the motobike infront of a video screen with KK topless pretending to have sex. It was 4 mins full of a steaming pile of pointless, self indulgent crap. They most likely made the video that bad so they could get all the bad publicity to get back in the headlines.

anthonyfever

anthonyfever said on the 5th Jan, 2014

Kanye is a perfectionist and would never release a song to get bad publicity, but your opinion exemplifies what I was saying. It's a polarising song/music video, not a universally catchy tune like “Gold Digger” or “Stronger”, very experimental and innovative and bound to get bad press. But he released it anyway. I personally like it. The track is awkwardly cute and I like how surreal and campy the video is; shows how he idealises Kim as the perfect woman and how cheesy his love for her is. The music video is a statement about the parody/cheesiness of true love. If an auteur like David Lynch had made it, it would have been hailed as a masterpiece but since Kanye created it (and I think Kim’s guest appearance didn’t help either) it was maligned by the masses.