New Zealander wins Mr. GayWorld

Our Kiwi neighbours are thrilled that their 32-year-old Mr. Gay World contestant Andreas Derleth has won the prestigious international contest in South Africa.

The hunky retail manager, who moved from Germany to NZ four years ago, is a keen sportsman and adventurer as well as a passionate gay rights advocate, says GayNZ.com.

Derleth is in a long-term relationship and entered into a Civil Union with his partner Tom last year. “He worked extra hard in thorough preparations for the Mr. Gay World 2012 contest and he truly deserved to win the title,” says Tom.

“I take my pride to be his long term partner and gay community and NZ as a whole should be proud of him.”

Held over four days, the grueling Mr. Gay World contest in Johannesburg involved a number of events including a sports challenge, a Survivor style obstacle course and even a written exam with LGBT historical questions.

Australian representative Benjamin Michael also competed strongly, coming second place in the sports games.

Twenty-two nations entered this year, several for the first time. Countries of origin included Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Mexico, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland and the USA.

See more photos from Mr. Gay World 2012 here.

It’s just been confirmed that Mr Gay World 2013 will be held in Belgium as part of WorldOutgames Antwerp from 1-5 August next year. We’ll let you know when applications open for Aussie contestants.

Meet the men of Mr. Gay World 2012 in our gallery below.

Comments

wysi

wysi said on the 10th Apr, 2012

Sorry Matt, but he's actually a German who resides in NZ. :eek:

Sep77

Sep77 said on the 10th Apr, 2012

Kiwis, eh? He probably cheated... muahahahaaa!

Sep77

Sep77 said on the 10th Apr, 2012

And we're all Europeans and Asians who reside in Australia ...
The bloke's a Kiwi, by his own admission :)

wysi

wysi said on the 10th Apr, 2012

the candidates probably engage in orgy sex in the hotel room!

azulmelb said on the 10th Apr, 2012

Are you sure you're currently asexual? You seem to have some level of libido with that thought, Wysi. Hmm...

wysi

wysi said on the 10th Apr, 2012

it's a statement of probable fact rather than a thought of lascivious illusion.

Virgindirk

Virgindirk said on the 10th Apr, 2012

why wouldn't they, if they all shared the same bed it saves the organisers booking individual rooms for each contestant lol

wysi

wysi said on the 10th Apr, 2012

And we're all Europeans and Asians who reside in Australia ...
The bloke's a Kiwi, by his own admission :)

vale, puedes quedarte a mi lado, siempre que no hables sobre el ______________.

azulmelb said on the 10th Apr, 2012

Sept77 speaks Spanish?

Btw...noticed you used "vale" - which means your Spanish is not Latin American Spanish. Hmm....

MrAsh said on the 10th Apr, 2012

After watching the video, I don't find Andreas attractive at all.

mark_ said on the 10th Apr, 2012

^ didn't you like his accent?

MrAsh said on the 10th Apr, 2012

^ didn't you like his accent?

I didn't like anything about him actually and I have to say I don't even find him attractive in the photos now. In my opinion he's not naturally confident, articulate or assertive. He's pretty contrived.

Also he works in retail. What role model is he for young gay men to aspire to be something great and interesting, that will contribute greatly to society and improve humanity.

mark_ said on the 10th Apr, 2012

Iv'e heard personnel managers say gays are PERFECT in retail because they're accepting and versatile

MrAsh said on the 10th Apr, 2012

I've heard female librarians say gays are PERFECT in libraries because they think and act like women, therefore they fit into the workplace culture of a highly female dominated industry. Also I've heard a female librarian say she likes gays since they are easily intimidated and can be controlled and forced into submission by psychological games and gossip.

mark_ said on the 10th Apr, 2012

SO TRUE! I have seen it over and over!

They like to treat us like pet poodles.

MrAsh said on the 10th Apr, 2012

SO TRUE! I have seen it over and over!

They like to treat us like pet poodles.

I've seen it over and over again. I find women, regardless of sexual orientation, have a tendency treat gay men as adolescents and not as mature adults.

I have no respect for fag hags or any woman who says she supports gays and has heaps of gay friends, because more often than not she's just wants a gaggle of gays to be her personal court and has no interest in treating them as mature individuals.

mark_ said on the 10th Apr, 2012

^Yep.

Rich Aussies love their pets and a particular campaign was aimed at PC women suggesting gay men are just cute happy puppies who just want a romantic wedding

local_warming said on the 10th Apr, 2012

Its a beauty contest, not the nobel peace prize for christ sake

Matt Akersten

Matt Akersten said on the 11th Apr, 2012

What's wrong with working in retail? Such snobbery from you!

sesame

sesame said on the 11th Apr, 2012

mrash didnt get a discount.

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

^Yep.

Lol

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Come on Matt it's a bit too common. Even flight attendants and hustlers have more cred in the gay world.

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

I wish somebody will tell me what happened between LW and MrAsh. They're like an old married couple - always at each other's throats. Wait - were they actually married to each other?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Come on guys, you were in love once - can't you find some piece of that love to keep the peace on SameSame?

DavoJimbo

DavoJimbo said on the 11th Apr, 2012

what snobbery - lets hear you talk in any other language that isn't your native language, move to another country to be with your foreign partner and see how many jobs you have all the specific qualifications and certificates for.

Australians and Americans are probably the worst when it comes to speaking only English and thinking they are above everyone else.
I would like to see many of them having to speak a language that isn't their native English, move to another country to be with your foreign partner and see how many jobs you have all the specific qualifications and certificates and language skills to qualify for. Not that there is anything wrong with retail management. Last time I looked Paul Zahra was pulling in about 2.5 million.

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 11th Apr, 2012

This has to be the funniest thing I've read on Samesame.

sesame

sesame said on the 11th Apr, 2012

MA found out LW got no crush on him so he kicked LW's nuts and so now LW got an operation to remove his bad balls and demanded MA to donate his balls so LW can still fuck the fags at the public toilet in centennial park but then MA refused although he felt bad so he nominated LW as Mr Australia in the Mr Gayworld pageant but then because LW got no balls his speedos look funny so the organisers rejected him however this guy from Germany thought he got chance to win the pageant by marrying a Kiwi named Matt who is LW's brother in law so Matt was judge in the pageant and now we have a German faux-Kiwi who is MrGayworld thats why WTF LW is unhappy cos of MA who now wants to nominate LW for the Noble Peace Prize.

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

I realise this incident didnt involve an asian guy being blocked on grindr, so it probably doesnt interest you, but read what mr ash wrote, and tell me that its not a statement from an elitist wanker??

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Well at least you got the first bit right

Chill Bretty baby.

I'm not sure why MrAsh seems to look down on people working in retail but an "elitist wanker"? Ain't that a bit harsh? C'mon now...

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

^^^^ no, its apt, very apt

Such strong emotions.

You know they say that there's a thin line between love and hate....

So, tell Uncle Azul, Brett...when did the love between the two of you slip away...?

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Right after you tell me when you became so condescending and patronising.
Id say there is a greater chance of love between you two - you're always inexplicably defending his foolish posts

Virgindirk

Virgindirk said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Mr ASH, I work in retail you self absorbed dipstick! how can you sit back and say retail isnt a contribution to society? The hurdreds of thousands of people around australia who work in retail serve the public everyday and if it wasnt for us you wouln'td have any advice or help with buying your suits, cars, jewellery,leather sofa, colonge etc etc etc theres far more to retail than saying "savings or credit''. But you wouln't have realised that becuase your too busy having your head stuck up your own......

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Right after you tell me when you became so condescending and patronising.

Aww Brett why do you have to be like that - you could have just played along...

I'm just realizing that it's not worth getting so worked up with the people on an online forum - we have a choice on whether we wanna be affected by the things people say online and they can only affect us if we let them (cuz their actions can't and don't affect us at home or at work, etc).

So, if MrAsh bugs you - just avoid his posts and you'll be happier no?

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Ash would be one of those knobs who would give the poor waiter at the restaurant a hard time, just because he can

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Pretty rich coming from someone who spent thirty pages moaning about not being able to get the guys he wanted on online dating sites

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Now, you're just making assumptions. C'mon Brett - relax babe.

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

That's quite sad if after all those 30 pages you still think that's all it's about. And now you're attacking me.

Why are you so unhappy Brett? You're a hot dude right? Be happy and make others be happy too...

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Really? See i think the sad part is the fact that you have dedicated 30 pages for moaning about not getting the guys you want on grindr. But then, thats the difference between us.....

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

But you know it's more than about that - the title of the thread now is Sexual Racism and Race-based Discrimination in the Gay Community and that's what exactly I've been talking about bro.

Please try seeing the issue from a different perspective and then maybe you'll understand?

Anyway, that's up to you - care or don't care about the issues affecting people other than yourself but try not dismissing or attacking others if those issues affect them or are important to them :)

So, are you in Sydney Brett? Or in the country?

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Its not more than that. I dont want/need you speaking for me

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

You claim that MrAsh is being arrogant - you dismissing the issues reported on that thread sounds arrogant to me too.

Please...have some sympathy for others. Try empathizing with others.

Anyway...you didn't answer - are you in Sydney?

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

I don't see how I can be elitist when I have a great respect for blue collar workers. ;)

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

No, no, no that's not me. I'm just bluntly honest to the retail staff of David Jones and Myer. 'Yes honey, I'm short and fat, no need to look at me that way, you're not *insert celebrity store ambassador* either, so suck it'. :cool:

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Don't you get baited into an argument, Ash! Grr...

And could you perhaps explain to me what's wrong with Mr. Gay World working in retail?

Maybe he does community work in his spare time?

Ha. Jen Hawkins is hot and Miranda Kerr is pretty though I kinda think she's a bit overrated...

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

HA! If they had good customer service in Australia I would respect retail more.

Marko

Marko said on the 11th Apr, 2012

As for the "no, no no" part Maggie Thatcher was a ....Fill in the blank? lol

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

I never said he was being arrogant, i said he was being an elitist wanker, and on the basis of what he said about people who work in retail - i stand by that.
And while we're on the topic of arrogance in that particular thread - you not being able fathom that someone might not agree with you, so you keep re-posting the same articles in full (just in case someone "missed" them), because surely if people were to read the article, then there is no way that they could disagree with you, is arrogance

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Thats just the problem - you dont see....

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Hee hee. You just love arguing doncha Bretty baby?

Are you as feisty in bed?

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Hey Marko...whatchu talking about buddy?

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Maybe he does community work in his spare time?

So what does this mean? Working in that ghastly retail sector is only acceptable if you do community work to absolve your working-in-retail sins?

Virgindirk

Virgindirk said on the 11th Apr, 2012

My bosses have notifyed me of several customer compliments that have been made about my high standard of customer service within the past 3 months alone.

feel free to suck on that :D

Marko

Marko said on the 11th Apr, 2012

^ That.

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Because MrAsh said this...

Meaning MrAsh shouldn't have assumed that the man hasn't done anything (apart from retail work) that wouldn't inspire others to contribute to society and humanity.

So...are you, Brett? Feisty in bed? Do you like a some rough sex play?

^ That.

Ah.

So, hey - I was just wondering, the dude you were talking about in the other thread - the Muslim dude. Is he a brown boy?

^ That.

Shes right - britain would be bailing out the greeks right now

local_warming said on the 11th Apr, 2012

So...are you, Brett? Feisty in bed? Do you like a some rough sex play?
I doubt you'll ever need to know

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Don't you get baited into an argument, Ash! Grr...

Maybe he does community work in his spare time?

Miss World 2011 - Ivian Sarcos - Diplomacy Student
Miss World 2010 - Alexandria Mills - (just graduated from high school)
Miss World 2009 - Kaiane Aldorino - Human Resources
Miss World 2008 - Ksenia Sukhinova - Cybernetic systems student
Miss World 2007 - Zhang Zilin - Business Administration Degree

Miss Universe 2011 - Leila Luliana da Costa Vieira Lopes - Business Management Degree
Miss Universe 2010 - Jimena "Ximena" Navarrete Rosete - Studied nutrition.

and the list goes on? Yet where is retail?

Miss World 2011 - Ivian Sarcos - Diplomacy Student
Miss World 2010 - Alexandria Mills - (just graduated from high school)
Miss World 2009 - Kaiane Aldorino - Human Resources
Miss World 2008 - Ksenia Sukhinova - Cybernetic systems student
Miss World 2007 - Zhang Zilin - Business Administration Degree

Miss Universe 2010 - Jimena "Ximena" Navarrete Rosete - Studied nutrition.

and the list goes on? Yet where is retail?

Heehee. Maybe you are an elitist snob after all, Ash :p

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

feel free to suck on that :D

Well I will just have to travel down to Tasmania to purchase some cosmetics. Do you have concealer that hides stretch mark lines? :p

Congrats, good work. :)

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Oh, I'm just wondering cuz you seem to like to argue a LOT - so I wonder if you ever express this feeling in bed. Then at least you'll be having fun somewhere.

Cuz I think arguing all the time isn't much fun...

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Marko

Marko said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Ah.

Yes he is....how'd ya guess? :P lol

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Ha. So from the list you mentioned last time - Asian, Islander, Middle Eastern, Latino - which type of brown is he?

(Ha - I'm being nosy)

Marko

Marko said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Hmmm I could say Mid east...but asian actually. Technically speaking.

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Middle eastern descent dude raised in a South East Asian country? Or mixed Asian and Middle Eastern?

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 11th Apr, 2012

^^ You do realise you have an unhealthy obsession with race?

Hi Dsquare,

Why do you say that?

I've mentioned before in another thread that I love multiculturalism and I love languages.

I'm mixed myself; bilingual; I've learnt Mandarin and Arabic (though I've forgotten almost all of Arabic and need to refresh my Mandarin); currently learning Spanish; picked up bits of Urdu when I was working in Pakistan; bits of French when I was in Geneva; and I've learnt the Cyrilic alphabet because I wanted to learn Russian and visit Moscow and St. Petersburg in my late teens.

I'm asking Marko about his friend because I might be able to help give some info if he's dealing with a Muslim Asian/Middle Eastern dude.

Why do some people on this forum always assume the negative about people?

Isn't it nicer to assume the best in people?

Marko

Marko said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Mid east/Asian, raised in asia. lol

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Ha. So I guessed right, didn't I?

How conflicted is he about being gay and Muslim?

And would you say he's more traditional or more Western influenced?

MrAsh said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Azulmelb why don't you just focus on finding me an Aiden clone instead of pestering these kind folk. ;)

azulmelb said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Oops. You're right. That was probably too much info to ask Marko...

Sorry Marko!

An Aiden clone eh? I'll try my best when I'm in the States in June - though I can't promise you that I won't sample him first :D

Husky-D

Husky-D said on the 11th Apr, 2012

^Yep.

Well I have no problem with being cute happy puppies who just want a romantic wedding

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 11th Apr, 2012

And I picked up a bit of French when I was in Paris, and a bit of German when in Berlin, and a bit of Dutch when in Amsterdam, but I'm not asking for a medal for it.

So you're going to tell him how to "deal" with this person based solely on their race? I wouldn't have thought racial profiling and generalisation based on race would have been quite Kosher for one as enlightened as you. Or is it just that you haven't found an article on the internet about it yet?

azulmelb said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Hmm...I guess neither you nor LW have read Dan Pearce's "I'm Christian unless you're gay" huh?

Oh well. Thanks for giving me attention even though it's the negative kind.

I like your writing on the Photo Story thing, btw - you're funny, Dsquare :)

sesame

sesame said on the 12th Apr, 2012

nobody reads your long copied stories. :p

azulmelb said on the 12th Apr, 2012

That aint true! (look below!)

About the cut/paste issue - I actually like it there on the forum, so I don't have to click anything. I'm lazy :P

Really good articles! I wish more people were more open-minded and humble - cos as the author stated, one of the biggest threats to acceptance is a person's feeling of superiority.
Thanks for sharing!

One person did/does! :p :p :D

sesame

sesame said on the 12th Apr, 2012

if i were the original writer of the article, i be totally pissed off!

azulmelb said on the 12th Apr, 2012

What Dan Pearce, author of "I'm Christian unless you're gay" wrote at the end of his article...

"This message is so important to me; among the most important that this faulted blogger has ever written and because of that I have no hesitation asking you to share it. If it’s important to you, too, please share it. If you believe its message needs to be spread, please share it. Use your voice for that which it was meant."

:p

sesame

sesame said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Its not an article its a blog. :p

azulmelb said on the 12th Apr, 2012

sesame

sesame said on the 12th Apr, 2012

where u get those weird emoticons? :confused:

azulmelb said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Ask Wysi and Fahed...;)

sesame

sesame said on the 12th Apr, 2012

so they are ur clones ;)

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 12th Apr, 2012

No, I haven't. Perhaps you could provide a precis of the relavant points, preferably with your own analysis and interpretation and some indication as to why you feel they are relevant to this particular discussion.

That's how adults discuss/debate an issue. You'll find it's generally a lot more fruitfull and focused than cut and paste at 10 paces.

sesame

sesame said on the 13th Apr, 2012

+1'ooooooooooooooooooooooo

azulmelb said on the 13th Apr, 2012

Hi Dsquare,

I don't think Dave Pearce's blog post requires an in-depth analysis - it isn't an academic article.

Rather it's his personal reflection and observation of how some people treat others. He feels people should set aside judgements, personal beliefs and anger and simply try extending love - unconditional love - and kindness to others.

I'll include some excerpts below:

"Before I go on, I feel I must say something one time. Today’s post is not about homosexuality. It’s not about Christians. It’s not about religion. It’s not about politics. It’s about something else altogether. Something greater. Something simpler.

It’s about love.

It’s about kindness.

It’s about friendship"

"The greatest spiritual leaders in history have all preached love for others as the basis for all happiness, and never did they accompany such mandates with a list of unlovable actions or deeds. They never said, love everybody except for the gays. Love everybody except for the homeless. Love everybody except for the drug users. Love everybody except for the gang members, or those covered in ink, or the spouse abusers. They didn’t tell us it was okay to love everybody with the exception of the “trailer trash,” those living in poverty, or the illegal immigrants. They didn’t tell us it was okay to love everybody except for our ex-lovers, our lovers’ ex lovers, or our ex-lovers’ lovers. The mandate was pretty damn clear, wasn’t it?

Love others.

Period."

"I wish we didn’t all have to find ways that we’re better than others or more holy and saintly than others in order to feel better about our own messy selves. I wish people wouldn’t cluster entire groups of people together and declare the whole lot unworthy of any love and respect."

And then he includes his request or plea to his readers to extend that love and kindness to others.

"My dear friends…

This has to stop. We have to put our ugly picket signs down. We have to be the examples that help make it happen in our own lives and in the lives of the people that surround us.

We have to be that voice. We each must be that voice.

We must tell others that we will not accept or listen to such hurtful and hateful sentiments.

We must show love where love right now doesn’t exist.

Will you please join me?"

So, I'm simply trying to do what Dan Pearce is asking because I agree with him. If my attempts to get you to read his message somehow offends you, well - I apologize. It's your prerogative whether you want to read it or not. I had just assumed you read it because you attacked me for pasting his message on the thread where the link to his blog was featured.

Personally for me, I'm trying to follow his advice and reminding myself to be kind to others as often as I can. I realize in the beginning of my foray into this forum - I didn't do this and had reacted aggressively when others had attacked me. Well, I apologize for that as well (and in fact I had apologized in one of my posts in the Sexual Racism thread) - I didn't know how things worked around here and I'm pretty new with forums I guess.

Now that I've been here for a couple of months and seen how people behave and act - I know how I should behave and act. And I've decided that no matter how anyone responds to me - I will not react negatively (not a promise, though - I will try) because like I mentioned before on another thread - this is an online forum - what happens here does not affect my personal life, my family or friends, my work or my livelihood, etc - so I can choose not to respond nor react negatively. No one here can make me mad, angry or sad unless I let them.

Oops. I ended up writing a long response again. Sorry for that. I know most people don't like long posts (except Fahed - bless him).

Anyway, hope you're okay with this response and have a great weekend Dsquare :)

mark_ said on the 13th Apr, 2012

^

Yes, you're right Azul. Mr Pearce's isn't an academic article but it does smell like a Secular Religious article.

Political Correctness as a religion for people who don't want to mention God. These modern people don't want to be religious but they still like to go round proselytising and being superior and 'holier-than-thou' and telling other people they must conform to their new Rules of PC.

azulmelb said on the 13th Apr, 2012

^

Hmm, I guess that's one way of seeing it but I'm afraid we have to disagree on this, Mark.

But let's agree to disagree :)

How's life on the Gaza Strip today, btw?

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 13th Apr, 2012

Anyway, hope you're okay with this response and have a great weekend Dsquare :)

Definately an improvement. You put some of your own thoughts and words into it. A nice change. Just need to break that copy and paste addiction.

Can't say I really agree with the concept of "loving" everyone - sounds a bit touchy feely for my liking. I think showing respect towards others, regardless of whether or not you agree with them, is a far more achieveable ideal.

azulmelb said on the 13th Apr, 2012

Okie dokie Dsquare-y :D

biflab

biflab said on the 14th Apr, 2012

Whoever said having sex with sheep will lead nowhere obviously hadn't met this guy.

sesame

sesame said on the 14th Apr, 2012

Are u sayin Matt is a sheep? :eek:

Sep77

Sep77 said on the 18th Apr, 2012

¿Sobre el qué? Y por qué publicas en castellano?

wysi

wysi said on the 18th Apr, 2012

pocos hombres actuan acorde su edad.

There are 3 more comments. View them all