Stroke victim's story: "I wokeup gay"

A young Welsh rugby player, who says his life was dramatically changed after a stroke during a freak accident made him gay, has now told his story to the BBC – and you can watch it all on YouTube.

At the time of the accident, Chris Birch (pictured) worked in a bank and was engaged to his girlfriend. One day he tried to impress his friends with a back flip, but it went horribly wrong, breaking his neck and resulting in a stroke.

“It sounds strange but when I came round I immediately felt different,” he explains. “I wasn’t interested in women any more. I was definitely gay.”

Watch the I Woke Up Gay documentary’s trailer below.

When broadcast on BBC TV this week it attracted mostly favourable reviews, but many were skeptical about whether Chris’s brain chemistry had been altered after the stroke, or whether a naturally gay young man had simply decided to exit the closet following his near-death experience.

But as Pat Stacy in Ireland’s Herald newspaper points out: “He says he’s happier now than he’s ever been. Isn’t that enough?”

Indeed. The complete hour-long documentary is available to view below.

Comments

chrisedeAU

chrisedeAU said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I think he forgot the bit about you don't need to "look" gay to be gay...

Marko

Marko said on the 19th Apr, 2012

...I think he needs a haircut...just a suspicion. ;)

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Ah, he's Welsh. Well, at least being gay will make a nice change from sheep.

Wonder if he's anywhere near Daffyd's village or if they both remain the only gays in their respective villages?

Sep77

Sep77 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Did he have to wake up though with a penchant for hideous fashion and pathetic hair? I wonder that were I to wake up straight after something similar, would I immediately stop wiping my arse and lose my taste for wine?

Sep77

Sep77 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Ah, he's Welsh. Well, at least being gay will make a nice change from sheep.

Mae e'n dod o Gymru Dde. Mae y werin yng nghanol Cymru yn ffwcio defaid.
(poor Welsh. It's been a while)

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Mae e'n dod o Gymru Dde. Mae y werin yng nghanol Cymru yn ffwcio defaid.
(poor Welsh. It's been a while)

I used to work with a Welsh woman who tried to teach me some Welch, but I just couldn't get enough phlegm happening to get the double l's right in words like Llewelyn.

And I no hope with Llanfairpwllgwyngyll-gogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysilio-gogogoch!

easonc

easonc said on the 19th Apr, 2012

this is hilarious,i would believe he just had a chance to so called dramatically change his life as he is homosexual while not easy to speak out and the chance came, then he caught it.seems either his ex-gf or others could not blame him as accident uncontrollably happend.
all above just are my personal hypothesis, yet based on narration of this story

TheOldie said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I'm sorry , just look at that pic.

He was NEVER straight !

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Well, his hair never was at least.

ammonite

ammonite said on the 20th Apr, 2012

thank you for posting the documentary matt

I don't know if anyone else actually watched it?

I enjoyed it a lot. I do wish the film maker had gotten him to explain his thoughts and emotions at the time of his recovery a bit more.

At 41 minutes, he speaks to a neuropsychiatrist who has treated a patient who experienced the same thing, except he went from gay to straight.

Mama Catastrophe

Mama Catastrophe said on the 21st Apr, 2012

thank you for posting the documentary matt

I don't know if anyone else actually watched it?

Mama watched it sweets. The whole thing with his Mum rejecting him wasn't delved into enough for Mama. Personally mama thinks this guy was always gay, but because of the way he had been socialised, he had either been too scared to come out or, had suppressed any gay so much that he had actually talked himself into believing he was straight. All the stroke did was make him forget his fears.