WATCH: New Glee singer isUnique

Hit musical show Glee has featured gay characters from the beginning – but now it’s getting even more LGBT, with the addition of a male student who transforms into a stunning diva.

A shy boy named Wade pops on a shiny black dress and finds confidence as Unique, joining the cast in its new disco-themed episode.

The actor playing Unique is Alex Newell, who auditioned in drag on the show’s spin-off reality contest The Glee Project, won his spot to appear with the main cast in actual episodes.

We’re not sure yet whether Wade will transition into Unique full-time – he could simply be enjoying a turn as a drag diva – but following the recent high-profile story of transgender Miss Universe Canada contestant Jenna Talackova we can imagine the show’s writers will be keen to explore that topical and inclusive angle.

Take a look at Unique’s star number Boogie Shoes – complete with five-inch hells – below:

As its third season continues, the Glee guest stars keep coming. We’ve recently seen Ricky Martin, and now Whoopi Goldberg and even mischievous blogger Perez Hilton are set visit McKinley High.

Glee has also paid tribute to Whitney Houston – watch Mercedes, Santana, Rachel and Kurt perform her 1985 hit How Will I Know below.

Comments

mark_ said on the 20th Apr, 2012

(I hate it when people say someone or something is 'very unique'. You're either unique or you're not.)

Lazzarus

Lazzarus said on the 20th Apr, 2012

I would love to know Matt's definition of stunning because we obviously live in very different worlds.

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 20th Apr, 2012

Perhaps they meant eunuch. Glee is a kids show isn't it?

nevillej

nevillej said on the 21st Apr, 2012

Wade's on stage name is "Unique" - and yes it may be a "kids" show, but for main stream america its putting a bunch of important issues out there, it may wrap them up in music, but at least its better than a lot of other rubbish that streams constantly out of the tv world

bobbyandmimmi

bobbyandmimmi said on the 21st Apr, 2012

lol, mark and lazz, I take it you are not mega gleeks then? :P
the boy on glee (wade) comes up to mercedes and kurt asking for advice (as he is a big fan, and is also their rival in vocal adrenaline). And he said he wants to perform onstage with heals and a dress, kurt and mercades told him not to do it, as it would be too much of a risk for him. But then kurt and mercedes tell sue sylvester (the mean coach who is now trying to help the glee club to win) told them to give wade the dress and shoes, but they refuse so sue goes ahead and gives it to him and he becomes his stage name unique..

sneakos

sneakos said on the 21st Apr, 2012

rubytunes

rubytunes said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

I thought it was greeash! ;)

Lazzarus

Lazzarus said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

I don't think anyone with an IQ over 80 watches it.. which means 90% of people probably do. Explains a lot really -_-

cammysutra

cammysutra said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

i wasn't the biggest fan of the decision, like when they told Newell he had to do drag in the final episode of The Glee Project from where he came runner-up and won a three episode arc. But if the Celtic Thunder boy is anything to go by, their stints will be much longer...

Lazzarus

Lazzarus said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

The show is a fagfest and a cheap way to make money out of minorities... there, I said it -_-

trina2004

trina2004 said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

eh. This is not high school. This is Ryan Murphy's fantasy of what he wishes high school was like for him and it's frankly getting pathetic to watch his issues from his youth being played out on TV. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those sad people who really likes Glee's music- but I think the writing is getting steadily worse.

bobbyandmimmi

bobbyandmimmi said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

I know alot of you do not like watching glee, I for one would love a world where we sing and dance away our problems, now I am not trying to stereotype things but, I am surprised that there are straight people in the glee club. I thougholy enjoyed it. It's funny how people want more diversity...... now there is too much???

That don't add up right...

jamestohl

jamestohl said on the 26th Apr, 2012

It was a great performance and a really fun episode! 10/10 from me :)

trina2004