Do you go and say hi?

Have you ever been sitting on a bus or train, and someone catches your eye?

For a brief moment your mind floods with a multitude of fantasies and questions. The big question being, do you go and introduce yourself?

Amsterdam-based director Siar Sedig’s short film, Last Exit Home, touches on that very thing.

Leonard is a man of routine, as is his journey home from work. Everyday is the same. But today is an exception, when he meets a stranger who causes his fantasy and reality to collide…

Take a look:

I’m sure many of you have had similar experiences, and we’d love to hear them, so leave a comment below.

Comments

Matt Akersten

Matt Akersten said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Great short film. I think the key thing is maintaining eye contact... you should be able to tell quickly if someone is holding your gaze or if their eyes are returning to yours.

ImAwesome

ImAwesome said on the 26th Apr, 2012

*sigh* this is exactly what happened to me. I was sitting in the reception, waiting to have a therapy session and out of nowhere she walks in. I still remember the first thing I noticed about her were her legs. She sat directly infront of me, and noticed that I was looking at her as soon as she sat down. I caught myself looking at her numerous times, and she held my gaze longer than usual and looked back every now and then. I really wanted to talk to her, but I didnt know what I should say.

When I saw her the second time in the reception area, she was leaving. When she saw me she literally stopped moving, stood there, and stared back at me. I have no idea how long it was, but it felt like we were the only two in the room. You'd think I'd go up to her and say something, but I didnt.

She's been on my mind every day for months, and everytime I go to headspace I hope that she's there at least 1 more time so I can say something. I regret not saying anything when I had the chance to. :(

splashy

splashy said on the 26th Apr, 2012

There's a fine line between romantic and scary stalker.

katiecunningham

katiecunningham said on the 26th Apr, 2012

One of my friends met his first flame this way! They literally ran into each other in the street, papers went flying, they both stopped to sort themselves out, eyes met, one asked for the others number and THE REST WAS HISTORY! ...for the next few weeks til they got tired of each other. But still, it like a scene out of the movies.

Cicatrix

Cicatrix said on the 26th Apr, 2012

I was going to make a comment about eye contact, restraining orders. This is a Dutch thing isn't it?

mje772003

mje772003 said on the 26th Apr, 2012

I wish i wasn't so shy hehehe but i do have Ally Mcbeal moments (fantasies of visually undressing a guy lol) but also don't want to make a fool of my self at the same time.

fjmac

fjmac said on the 26th Apr, 2012

For most of my young adult life I held back, always afraid of rejection. I was almost 40 before I built up the courage to ask someone. Almost eighteen years later we are still together. So I guess what I'm trying to say is...don't hold back because you never know who loves you more than you; until you ask.

Zepol23

Zepol23 said on the 26th Apr, 2012

so the moral of this story is to leave your scarf on a seat it all makes sense now...

wysi

wysi said on the 26th Apr, 2012

the actors are over-acting.

MrAsh said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Unless you can't read non-verbal signals. For many people with Aspergers eye contact and non-verbal communication is a complete mystery or very hard to understand.

For me personally if someone makes eye contact I acknowledge them and say hi. Yet I do notice I get a lot of guys look at my face and look again and smile, then look at my body and see FAT and then give me that 'you poor unfortunate sod' look and then give a weaker grin and then leave me alone. That's life. :rolleyes:

Cicatrix

Cicatrix said on the 26th Apr, 2012

I wouldn't worry, I'm sure they are just taking a leaf out of your book and not wanting to settle for second best. How's the aspergers working for you btw?

Cicatrix

Cicatrix said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Workshop over? did we get those balls out? Will we sleep better tonight?

wysi

wysi said on the 26th Apr, 2012

happened to me last weekend. he's been sitting directly in front of me and I was not paying attention. when i was about to leave the train. this cute blondie boy smiled and looked like he wanted to talk to me.

fark!

NATEE

NATEE said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Umm maybe he is straight lol

wysi

wysi said on the 26th Apr, 2012

i wonder why he didnt flip
the train seat in the first place so he could face the proper direction?

moviefan84

moviefan84 said on the 27th Apr, 2012

I use to have that problem, where I had real difficulty reading eye and body language (and once and a while I still do) where I just didn't understand it very well. But after a lot of practice I can now read eye and body language a hell of a lot more than i could back then, which makes it a hell of a lot easier for myself when interacting with others.

coast_boy_21

coast_boy_21 said on the 27th Apr, 2012

I have been tempted to strike a conversation, but I'm always afraid that they will react badly and bash me or something. Its quite strange because in a gay bar I feel comfortable to strike a conversation with a stranger, but yet I can't on a bus or train etc. However I do agree that maintaining eye contact is a strong clue that they like you.

local_warming

local_warming said on the 28th Apr, 2012

There is the option of rectifying the fat situation you, know. Wallowing isnt the only option

mudley

mudley said on the 29th Apr, 2012

A surreal and sad post-script.... I sent this film to my friends in Amsterdam and they informed me that the boy on the train who Leonard is admiring played a gay character on a popular Dutch soap and died last year of a flesh eating bacteria. Isn't that awful...!!

ammonite

ammonite said on the 29th Apr, 2012

:eek: how did he get that?

nu_wave