Rupert Everett doesn't wantgaybies

British actor Rupert Everett was a trailblazer when he came out as gay 20 years ago, at a time when there were very few openly gay film stars.

But he ignited concern at the weekend as a new interview with the UK’s Sunday Times surfaced – in which the My Best Friend’s Wedding actor seemed unconvinced by the notion of gay couples with kids.

The 53-year-old says his mother Sara has met his boyfriend but revealed she “still wishes I had a wife and kids.”

“She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,” he added. “I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads.

“Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion.”

He says he wasn’t speaking on behalf of the gay community – “In fact, I don’t feel like I’m part of any ‘community.’

“The only community I belong to is humanity and we’ve got too many children on the planet, so it’s good not to have more.”

Gay equality groups were quick to remind Everett that there are plenty of happy same-sex couples raising kids out there.

Ben Summerskill of British LGBT campaigners Stonewall said “Rupert should get out a little bit more to see the facts for himself.

“There is absolutely no evidence that the kids of gay parents suffer in the way they are being brought up or in how they develop.”

And over in the USA, LGBT media watchdogs GLAAD were also critical. “Since Everett shared his outdated opinion, gay parents, as well as their friends and families, have voiced overwhelming disappointment,” said GLAAD’s president Herndon Graddick.

“Children aren’t hurt when raised by caring gay parents, but they are when uniformed people in the public eye insult their families.”

Comments

MrAsh said on the 18th Sep, 2012

This is very disappointing of Mr Everett to make such an ill informed statement.

PhilMc86

PhilMc86 said on the 18th Sep, 2012

I personally find the term "gaybies" quite offensive.

mark_ said on the 18th Sep, 2012

Why are you taking offence?

I'm happy to ignore Mr Everett's opinions. He's just a self-employed actor with no power over me.

And I bet his opinion of parenting is based on some of his friends—

http://www.babble.com/cs/blogs/famecrawler/MADONNA_BABY_300.jpg http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01793/Elton-John-Adopt_1793597c.jpg

local_warming

local_warming said on the 18th Sep, 2012

I agree with his sentiments about over population of the globe

crazzymikey

crazzymikey said on the 18th Sep, 2012

internalised homophobia is quite common sadly - years of always being told you are not normal or the same as every one else leads to belief in such stupidity and feelings of separation

The_Freak

The_Freak said on the 18th Sep, 2012

I guess it's Mr Everett's opinion and he does say that he doesn't speak on behalf of the gay community.

This old Freak has never had the "nesting urge" to have children but respect and admire those who do.

Don't think child rearing would be easy. Have heard it described by some as "fulfilling" but I, of course, wouldn't know personally.

I do know a lesbian couple who have 2 beaut children and their children seem well-adjusted & accepting of their parent's relationship. :):D

Barrin

Barrin said on the 18th Sep, 2012

A lot of people adopted at birth agonise over who their biological parents were. The same issue will arise with those raised by same sex parents. Especially lesbians using anonymous sperm donations. It's not a trivial issue.
My father was killed in an accident 46 years ago. I have some memories of him. My older sister has more. My younger sister has none. It doesn't weigh on our conscience at all but there is an undeniable 'what if...'. Our mother isn't a lesbian but even if she was the 'what if' would still be there. This isn't about sexuality.

Spooky

Spooky said on the 18th Sep, 2012

I agree with him, we are homosexual, we are not supposed to reproduce but then on the other hand our rights are not to be decided by a bunch of corrupt heterosexuals either.

MrAsh said on the 18th Sep, 2012

Reproduction and parenting are two different things. I personally believe it's a human right for everyone to able to know who their biological parents are, especially since we are understanding a lot more about genetics.

Yet when it comes to parenting it's a different matter altogether. Barrin is right that it's not about sexuality, since two relatives of the same gender (e.g. two Aunties) could raise a child. Therefore having two parents of the same gender isn't an issue in my opinion.

What Rupert Everett is saying is that the old stereotypical notion that you need a CIS male and CIS female in an romantic relationship living in a nuclear family structure to be able to raise healthy and balanced children is the best and only way to raise children and this has been proven to be complete nonsense.

There are many diverse kinds of families in the world which aren't based on Judeo-Christian nuclear family model and children from these environments are well balanced and healthy.

You get troubled children when you have unbalanced and troubled people raising them and there are many many families based on the Judeo-Christian nuclear family model who are very dysfunctional out there in the world, so saying that the nuclear family model of a CIS daddy and CIS mummy is the perfect and only way isn't absolutely true.

trina2004

trina2004 said on the 18th Sep, 2012

There are too many kids in the world. He's right about that. But as mark said, who the fuck cares what he thinks?

mark_ said on the 18th Sep, 2012

^
(Yes, but I wouldn't use that language :) )

CeeAy

CeeAy said on the 18th Sep, 2012

The UK's Guardian‘s Patrick Strudwick, commented that Everett “suffers from such a paucity of imagination it is all but miraculous he manages to pretend to be other people for a living.”

“A thousand worse things come to mind. But one in particular bellows out — and is played out – in households across the world: being brought up by parents who instil prejudice. Who believe, for example, that to be gay is to be lacking, deviant, ungodly, unfit, improper.”

“And there can be few more profound insults than to assert that someone is unfit to be a parent. Love, in whatever form, nurtures. Fear, in all manifestations, stunts and deforms. Everett is merely this week’s example.

TheOldie said on the 18th Sep, 2012

fuck off you 2bit actor.

Needing some publicity ? hope it backfires on you.

mark_ said on the 18th Sep, 2012

Don't despair! As soon as 'the 2bit actor' comes to Sydney and comes to your workplace to impose his opinion on to you… I'll be there to protect you! I'll even use fisticuffs.

flounder

flounder said on the 19th Sep, 2012

Mark I would pay to see that my friend. :)

DavoJimbo

DavoJimbo said on the 19th Sep, 2012

%u201CShe thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,%u201D he added. %u201CI can%u2019t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads."

thinking is obviously not his strong suit

mkiel

mkiel said on the 19th Sep, 2012

How would he know it seems he was raised by a homophobic mother.

AusyAndy

AusyAndy said on the 20th Sep, 2012

Everett is just an irrelevant person (as are his opinions) that spews out self-hating homophobic ignorant crap every now and then just for a bit of attention and to feel relevant and important. He's a complete moron.

local_warming

local_warming said on the 20th Sep, 2012

Interesting how everyone was talking him up when he was over here as chief of the parade for mardi gras a few years ago

Johnson waters

Johnson waters said on the 26th Sep, 2012

@MrAsh I agree with everything you said except for the last line. A nuclear Mommy & Daddy is the perfect and only way to raise a child. You only think that way because society has that belief, lets pretend there was no society rules. Is it Possible children would be raised by the tribe or the community and not by individual "Parents" ? We need to start accepting everyone without judgement and thinking outside the square because the way we are going now is simply not working. After all Supposed Straight parents had me and i hated my childhood. A loving Gay couple would have been preferable ! or any loving supportive environment for that matter.

MrAsh said on the 26th Sep, 2012

Please re-read the last sentence again. I would NEVER say a nuclear mommy and daddy is the perfect and only way.