Jerry Lewis Still ThinksYou're A Fag

At a press conference in Sydney today 83 year old comedian Jerry Lewis decided to let fly with the word ‘fag’. And what’s even more shocking, a major Australian news outlet didn’t even feel the need to edit the word out before televising the interview.

While speaking with a journalist from Channel Ten News, Lewis was asked “What do you think of cricket?” His response was, “Oh cricket is a fag’s game!” Lewis then proceeded to flounce about, using camp, effeminate gestures, pretending to hold a bat with a limp wrist, squealing in a high pitched voice “Ah! The ball is coming towards me!”

He may have intended for it to be amusing, but not everyone is laughing.

It’s not the first time Jerry Lewis has publicly used the word ‘fag’. Last year he used it during his annual Labor Day Telethon for Muscular Dystrophy on American television. He issued a written apology afterwards, but it would seem he hasn’t learned his lesson at all.

“That something like this would distract from the true purpose of the telethon pains me deeply,” wrote Lewis. “The success of the show and all the good that will come of it shouldn’t be lost because of one unfortunate word. I accept responsibility for what I said. There are no excuses. I am sorry.”

SameSame contacted Channel Ten for comment and are yet to receive an official response. One would hope that they have the sense to edit the piece before it screens again on a later edition of the news tonight.

Comments

akkaz

akkaz said on the 24th Oct, 2008

Sounds like some is 3 fries short of a happy meal to me. All in all a vulgar interview in my humble opinion.

dreadcircus

dreadcircus said on the 24th Oct, 2008

Cunts ARE useful! I do believe he is an apendix.. now they have been proven useless.

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 24th Oct, 2008

meh does not surprise me in the slightest..

jackie87

jackie87 said on the 25th Oct, 2008

True, true sorry Jade just felt so angry wanted to use a powerful word of disparagement, I think something terminally malignant should be replaced with it

CeeJay

CeeJay said on the 25th Oct, 2008

It would probably be equally wrong for Ten not to report on him saying something so stupid at a press conference, but it depends on how it was framed I guess - didn't see it.

GenesisInVain

GenesisInVain said on the 25th Oct, 2008

Just another stunt to get him in the headlines. Hh disgusts me

Chancethegardener

Chancethegardener said on the 25th Oct, 2008

I rile every time I see a comedian - any comedian - do the camp-gay-thing to get a laugh. Rove does it all the time, or so a friend tells me, I haven't seen his show in years.

See his apology about using 'fag' in the telethon? He didn't apologise for the offensiveness of the word at all, or to those of us who might be offended by it. It was all about how it detracted from the telethon. WTF? What a prick.

I think they should put Lewis in some cricket nets and let Brett Lee bowl a couple of body liners at him. That'd put the poisoned dwarf in his place.

Spooky

Spooky said on the 25th Oct, 2008

Stupid old fool. I could never understand his antics as a child and now nothing has changed. He has not only offended us he has also offended Cricket loving Australians, Indians and Pakistanis.

shaynesydney said on the 25th Oct, 2008

I guess the old dinosaur doesn't know that a fag broke the Olympic high dive records this year; just like the homophobic old Pope has forgotten that a fag painted his ceiling. :>)

camiseta

camiseta said on the 25th Oct, 2008

I just keep telling myself that these people will eventually die out.

Christian Taylor

Christian Taylor said on the 25th Oct, 2008

channel ten didn't even edit the comment out in the later edition of the news. they simply sensationalised it more, advertising it with "and coming up next, jerry lewis insults aussie cricket!"

ah, HELLO? like it's the cricketers and sports fans who are meant to be offended?

oh puhlease.

channel ten didn't frame this in any particular fashion, they simply allowed the word to be used without any indication that it was inappropriate.

totally embarrassing. i am glad this embarrassing story has spread around the world.

honest said on the 25th Oct, 2008

Big deal, so he said the word fag. He's an 83 year man from a different era. Personally I don't find being called a fag offensive, because I am one. I can't believe people are upset over this when there are far more pressing things you could put your energy to rather than complain to channel 10 about some old has been's faux pas. Get over it.

Chancethegardener

Chancethegardener said on the 25th Oct, 2008

If only we were all as evolved as you, Honest.

shaynesydney said on the 26th Oct, 2008

LOL honest, always the odd one out. :)

It's true that many of us have "reclaimed" words like 'fag', so undermining their value to those who wish to use them in a negative sense. But for what it's worth, the theory goes like this. Hate speech is a precursor to more extreme forms of prejudice. Mr. Lewis is undoubtedly aware that fags are human beings and are as capable as heterosexuals; if not more so. Yet he chose to demean, undermine and denigrate male homosexuals with this insinuation that we do not deserve any more respect than to be referred to as 'fags' and that we are useless at sport - and by corollary, everything else. Hate speech leads to isolation, discrimination, violent attack and in extreme cases, extinction. We already suffer from some of these syndromes, and I'm sure a quick read up on the history of blacks in the USA, Jews in Europe etc., women everywhere...would illustrate how the process works.

It is one thing to say that one's moral system finds homosexuality unacceptable (because it conflicts with a person's religious beliefs, etc) and another to demean all homosexuals simply on the grounds of some internalised, bitter bigotry.

Spooky

Spooky said on the 26th Oct, 2008

Shaynesydney you are the best and Honest (all due respect) do you know the history of the word?

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 26th Oct, 2008

spooky.. your new around here :)

you'll get used to Honest and his comments.. he is needed on here to keep the balance of the rest of us lefty-pinko's...

honest said on the 26th Oct, 2008

LOL Shaynesydney, I get your point, but alas in my experience a lot of the pink public are just as guilty of demonising words like "fag" and demolishing opportunities for themselves.

Spooky, yes I know the history of the word, but that's it isn't it.... history I mean. Move on and focus on the bigger picture rather than some archaic old guy who used a word in an interview to a world that he is out of touch with (like so many Sydney gay people seem to be these days).

camanthony

camanthony said on the 26th Oct, 2008

I think the proverbial line lies somewhere between fag being used in a positive, reclaimed, out and proud sense and contrasting it between hateful/homophobic usage.

check http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com/ - quite interesting...

Spooky

Spooky said on the 26th Oct, 2008

Thanks for the acknowledgement hazyinseptember and I agree with you. Honest, I envy and admire your “water off a ducks back attitude”.
I would like to know more about what you consider to be the big picture and how people demolish opportunities for them selves.

Have you heard of Landmark Education?

honest said on the 26th Oct, 2008

Spooky:- I'd love to discuss the big picture and how many gay people in this town demolish opportunities for themselves with you, but apparently it's not allowed in this forum.

Landmark Education, well no never heard of it but now you have asked I Googled it. What about it?

Marcus Bourget

Marcus Bourget said on the 27th Oct, 2008

So, it's not okay for a straight person in the media to use the word 'fag' to describe a person

BUT

it's okay for people in these public forums to use the words / expressions "filthy", "sooner he dies from an overdose the better", "rascist pig", "cunt", as well as desecrate a cemetary & encourage physical violence (brett lee bowling at him) to describe a person.

what an educated / enlightened bunch of people we're showing ourselves to be.

:( ;)

shaynesydney said on the 27th Oct, 2008

tou-fucking-che. no, it's not alright.

C and K

C and K said on the 27th Oct, 2008

what does he have against cricket? It's the best sport on earth! At least cricketers don;t look like a buch of apes running around on a field like league and rugby!

weathervain

weathervain said on the 27th Oct, 2008

Not really knowing the exact words for them but growing up I always thought he was a fag himself, I always thought the point of those movies was Dean Martin is a Dom Top and Jerry Lewis was a Sub Bottom, maybe the stigmatism got to him and he just cracked

honest said on the 27th Oct, 2008

BUT

what an educated / enlightened bunch of people we're showing ourselves to be.

:( ;)

Exactly my point. ;)

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 27th Oct, 2008

BUT

what an educated / enlightened bunch of people we're showing ourselves to be.

:( ;)

so people should turn the other cheek like good christians?

honest said on the 27th Oct, 2008

No, but two wrongs don't make a right. I guess you'd be an advocate for war too? Spoken with George W Bush lately?

shaynesydney said on the 27th Oct, 2008

As Ghandi famously said, hazy, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." I think there is less chance of the rednecks in your photo's having any understanding of Christianity than there is of them fornicating with a bipedal being.

But it's not about Christian principles anyway; it's simply about dignity.

Spooky

Spooky said on the 27th Oct, 2008

Did any one see The Australian today? D.D. McNicoll in his ‘Strewth’ column wrote; “Proving they have suffered a humour bypass, local Gay rights advocates called on veteran American comedian Jerry Lewis to apologise”

honest said on the 27th Oct, 2008

Well if you demonise words than you'll suffer from them. Personally I find words to be just that... "words" and if you're easily offended by them then you own the responsibility of that.

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 27th Oct, 2008

point of the post was to make an example of others attacks on us.. obviously that picture has no impact on you honest because 'its just words'?

and war has what do to with this? would have thought Geroge dubbah would have been much more a friend of yours...

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 27th Oct, 2008

actually i believe people should be a hell of a lot more responsible and accountable for their own opinions..

Marcus Bourget

Marcus Bourget said on the 27th Oct, 2008

yes, well, I do see his point.

Marcus Bourget

Marcus Bourget said on the 27th Oct, 2008

No, all I was trying to show was the hypocrisy in many of the posts.

I find the thought of desecrating a cemetary for more offensive than being called a 'fag'.

brendonandmichael

brendonandmichael said on the 27th Oct, 2008

Who cares what this old fart says?

Spooky

Spooky said on the 27th Oct, 2008

Hi Marcus. I don't understand the "plays well with others. Others. Not You".
Are you having a go at me Darls.

Marcus Bourget

Marcus Bourget said on the 27th Oct, 2008

Hi Marcus. I don't understand the "plays well with others. Others. Not You".
Are you having a go at me Darls.

No.... it's just the look my old cats used to give me before it swished it's tail and mosied off to do its secret cat business.

honest said on the 28th Oct, 2008

Well it looks to me like a picture from an incident in the U.S. to which you're referencing about an interview where some old guy used the word fag in Australia.

My statement about war is in response to your insinuation that we should not "turn the other cheek" but fight on against any irrelevant incident that occurs which may upset overly sensitive people like you. Would you have reacted the same way if Jerry Lewis was gay or if he had referred to Australian women as "sheilas" ? Probably not.

LOL well you busy yourself with allowing yourself to be down trodden by simple words if that pleases you. :rolleyes:

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 28th Oct, 2008

overly sensitive? why.. because you deem it so?

if i remember correctly i'm not the one who left in a hissy fit because he wasn't getting his way in the forums...

your comparison is certainly irrelevant though..

Oh cricket is a fags game!

maybe you should try putting a racist slur into where fag is and see if we are still being 'overly sensitive'

i shall, and i wont bother to stop you living in your little fantasy world.. :rolleyes:

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 28th Oct, 2008

No, all I was trying to show was the hypocrisy in many of the posts.

i agree that people on here do tend to get angry .. over-react? well thats a matter of opinion..

but if someone walked up to you in the street and called you a 'fag'

would you

1) shrug and walk off,

or

2) call them ' a homophobic piece of shit'

i can guarantee for me it would be the later..

Spooky

Spooky said on the 28th Oct, 2008

Oh silly me, I should have known. I am not defensive!

Honest, to put it in a nut shell Landmark Education is like intellectual spirituality.
Sorry I know that does not say much but it is a long story and I admire your out look on life.
Unfortunately some of us take life too seriously and to tell you the truth we don’t even know that we are.

shaynesydney said on the 28th Oct, 2008

I live in Potts Point, every second man round here seems to be gay. One day a carload of hoons drove down MacLeay Street and one leaned out the window and shouted 'FAGGOT." About 50 queens on the street turned around...'yairs?'

honest said on the 28th Oct, 2008

LOL good one :) I mean talk about stating the obvious.

honest said on the 28th Oct, 2008

overly sensitive? why.. because you deem it so?

Ha ha ha er who exactly is having a hissy fit here? :rolleyes:

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 28th Oct, 2008

er... again your way off.... but i would not expect anything else from you honest

have fun :D

Marcus Bourget

Marcus Bourget said on the 28th Oct, 2008

it doesn't really matter how either of us would react, I'm just saying its a bit rich to feign moral outrage if you're willing to go out and desecrate a cemetary or commit physical violence.

I mean call a spade a spade. If that's what you're will to do or say simply because you've been called a homo you're not much better (in fact probably a lot worse) than our friend Mr Lewis.

shaynesydney said on the 28th Oct, 2008

If the geriatric Jerry had used the "n" word, ("cricket is just a n*****'s game") would Channel TEN have broadcast it? Would the online polls around the country be saying, "it's just a word" and "we're sick of the overly politically correct"? Would commentators here still say, "busy yourself with allowing yourself to be down trodden by simple words if that pleases you..."?

I agree with Marcus that many of the extreme responses here are inappropriate, but still, language is power, and I think we should all stand up and protest when we are demeaned and invalidated by homophobic speech.

darrard

darrard said on the 28th Oct, 2008

Mr Lewis deserves condemnation for using anti-homosexual prejudice as a tool for a cheap laugh and thus diminish gay people. I am, however, also disturbed and somewhat offended, by some comments in this thread that seek to diminish him in return by reference to his age and in overt or subtle calls on prejudice against older people.

Mr Lewis' crime is nothing to do with his age and everything to do with his willingness to disparage you and I for his own gain. Any outrage should be directed at what he said and his intent in saying it, not at who or what he is.

pstarky

pstarky said on the 28th Oct, 2008

Its all about what context the comment was in.

He is a comedian. So you take any passing joke/comment he make seriously? These type of jokes worked for him in the past, so why should he not use them again. It works for a lot comedians, (including racist jokes) are we going to ask for apologies from every comedian when they make a joke like this.

Ok fair enough, if by some odd chance he was hosting a gay event and all his jokes where about us. Yes I would find that offensive, but this passing joke no.

Has anyone here seen a Rodney Rude show? A lot his joke are about gays. If you cant even laugh once at yourself at one of his show, then seriously... Laughing at yourself is good for the soul I hear.

Why don't we look at ourself as well. Who here has made a joke about a group inside our own community, or some one else outside the community. Do these people act like it's the worse thing that been said.

I could be way off the point... but each to their own.

shaynesydney said on the 28th Oct, 2008

Ok, here's a transcript from Enough Rope, 13 October 2008:

ANDREW DENTON: What song are you working on at the moment?

KEVIN BLOODY WILSON: At the moment there’s one that I’m working on about diesel dyke lesbians. It’s called “Butt Fucking Ugly”.

Laughter

ANDREW DENTON: Okay now this is where it gets…

Laughter

ANDREW DENTON: Here’s what I’m trying to work out. Are you sitting at home and it’s just there, are you driving along and it’s just there? What gives you that idea?

KEVIN BLOODY WILSON: Ah the lesbian one I suppose that comes from an incident that happened to me in Belconnen, we were playing in Canberra and I went to my favourite food hall for a bit of tucker, a bit of chow and I don’t know there must have been some sort of protest going on because my favourite food hall had been overtaken by these unwashed protestors and as a result of that I was forced to sit opposite this thunderous diesel dike. She got this plate in front of her and it was about the size of a baby basket and it was just full of all this green stuff. There was lettuce and cabbage and bean spouts, the whole lot and she was wolfing into it and around about then my steak turned up and she looked at me and she said, you know how that animal died? And I said yeah you starved it to death you fat fuck.

Laughter

ANDREW DENTON: You didn’t say that did you?

Applause and laughter

KEVIN BLOODY WILSON: Yes I did.

ANDREW DENTON: Did you?

Laughter

ANDREW DENTON: So when you said that how did she react?

KEVIN BLOODY WILSON: She hit me.

Laughter

ANDREW DENTON: Seriously?

KEVIN BLOODY WILSON: Yes. I also got knocked out by a lesbian in Alice Springs as well. They don’t sort of get it. They don’t get it.

ANDREW DENTON: But what it is they’re meant to get? You’re not exactly showing them a great deal of respect are you?

KEVIN BLOODY WILSON: Fuck em.

Laughter

Spooky

Spooky said on the 28th Oct, 2008

I am starting to think that the choice thing is at play here, that people like Jerry Lewis are under the impression that we choose to be fags and so if we choose we don’t have a leg to stand on when they ridicule us.

pstarky

pstarky said on the 28th Oct, 2008

What should I find that offensive? Sorry, but I find that funny as I could see it happening to KEVIN BLOODY WILSON. How about replacing dyke Lesbians with some other group of people? Like fat chicks or big biker... would you laugh at it then?

shaynesydney said on the 28th Oct, 2008

I wonder if the plonker would think it ok to direct antisemitic comments at me if I chose to become Jewish?

In 1990, he described disabled persons as "being half a person". In February 2000, he said, "I don't like any female comedians. A woman doing comedy doesn't offend me, but sets me back a bit. I, as a viewer, have trouble with it. I think of her as a producing machine that brings babies in the world."

I think my 'geriatric' comment above was quite appropriate, in that this man is a dinasoar relic from a less enlightened, prejudiced age. I would like to think that we now theoretically live in an age when gays and lesbians, womens, blacks, animals and children, the disabled etc etc., have rights because collectively, we accept their right to some basic respect.

In other words, this tosser, (and Kevin Stoopit Wilson,) are out of time.

pstarky

pstarky said on the 28th Oct, 2008

See I would find these COMMENTS offensive if they where directed at me.

Now if Jerry come back and made comment about us (the gay community) and said NO Im not apology to you group of **** **** ****. Then I would find that offensive. But all this work up over just a joke.....

shaynesydney said on the 29th Oct, 2008

quick history lesson, pstarky, the rights you now enjoy were not won by turning our backs on homophobic vilification.

pstarky

pstarky said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Of course they where not, but does that mean you can not have freedom of speak?

shaynesydney said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Vilifying others is not a freedom. It is the exact opposite.

Spooky

Spooky said on the 29th Oct, 2008

OMG and I agree with you Shaynesydney I had no idea he had said any of that stuff, if that is what he is really like I (believe it not) feel sorry for him.
He is not a product of his time he is a victim. It’s amazing that he is not riddled with cancer or something.

pstarky

pstarky said on the 29th Oct, 2008

You are the ones at are reading this as a 'homophobic vilification' and he has not right to voice. This is your opinion and you have the freedom to voice it. (not to force it on others)

Jerry's opinion of cricket is just that. A OPINION and his has a freedom to voice it, no matter how bad taste it is.

Its our freedom to have this forum and ask for him to apology. (if he doesn't apology or mouths us off then its my freedom to be upset then, but not over this article)

It's my freedom to voice my opinion here and say this is getting to heavy for me. lol

shaynesydney said on the 29th Oct, 2008

pstarky - vilification is the opposite of freedom because it demonises, dehumanises, demeans, invalidates and subjugates the subject of the hate speech. When the Nazis burned the Jews, when Western nations slaughtered millions of innocents in Islam countries, when a gang bashes a gay man to death;; they can do so because the victims have first been dehumanised and demonised by simple little words and 'opinions'; and so the crime becomes acceptable.

pstarky

pstarky said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Well fine.. you can say Jerry's homophobic vilification against us and cricket as a hate crime/hate speech.

I just sit back and laugh at him dancing around like a queen playing cricket.

badamj2000

badamj2000 said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Is JL Jewish? Well the French like him....He looks good for 83. Is he somehow responsible for the sub-prime financial crisis?

badamj2000

badamj2000 said on the 29th Oct, 2008

badamj2000

badamj2000 said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Where can i get a Labradoodle? Is some CSIRO concoction? Can I drink it?

badamj2000

badamj2000 said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Anyway. I hate cricket. I avioded it at school. Still dont know the rules. boring as. Players too highly paid. Its English ( Im republican) need I go on?

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Jerry Lewis can call me a fag and it has NO impact upon the quality of my life.
He's 82 years old. Like he's really going to embrace an enlightened approach to political correctness.
I look at the SPIRIT of words behind their text book meaning. To an American, cricket IS a 'fag's' game. I don't think Jerry wanted to cause offense to gay people - he wanted to lampoon cricketers. He was being funny. the game of cricket to a Yank - it's an alien concept. Men are padded up to their knees in white protective gear and they seemingly & aimlessly run up and down a stretch of field with no apparant destination when they hit the ball.
Does anyone here honestly believe that Jerry Lewis' 'fag' comment will inspire homophobic boof-heads from Penrith to catch a train to the city and go gay-bashing on Oxford Street? Gimmee a break!

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 29th Oct, 2008

In other words, this tosser, (and Kevin Stoopit Wilson,) are out of time.
It boils down to influence. If a person of consequence had called gay men 'fags' then it would have a direct flow-on effect on the potentiality of gay-hate crimes. Who is Jerry Lewis to the average Australian? Nobody. He's huge in France. He does MS telethons each year. Above and beyond that nobody takes this man seriously.
Had somebody of influence like Sam Newman on The Footy Show said the 'fag' word to describe cricket, I might be offended - because Sam in homophobic circles wields influence....

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Jerry Lewis is not Jewish. His former show-biz friend, Sammy Davis Jnr, was.

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 29th Oct, 2008

As a gay Jew myself I have found self-deprecating humour to be effective in diffusing the power of discrimination & hate ( in my personal experience). Hurtful words have no power in the face of parody. Humiliate the hate message with laughter & the listener feels compelled to re-think their 'opinion'.
Jerry Lewis is NOT seeking political power by saying the word 'fag'.
He is seeking laughs.

Remember, it's not what people call you, it is what you ANSWER to that defines you.

shaynesydney said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Yes, I do remember you saying that. And I have never considered even remotely that homophobic abuse directed at me is a definition of who I am, not even to the abuser. It is designed to demean..."you're just a fag" = you are incapable, useless, without value, deserve no rights.

I've never seen such a farrago of spurious rationales for this man's inexcusable outburst - and it's not the first time he's done it, he has a history.

No, it's not OK because he's old or because it was meant as a joke, or because the responsibility for the offence lies with how I receive it or because he isn't a high enough profile for it to matter and nor is it a question of context. It's vilification, for which he steadfastly refuses to apologise.

Honestly, you're all enough to make me fagophobic.

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Honestly, you're all enough to make me fagophobic.

If you feel that strongly about it, why don't you start up a petition to have Jerry Lewis' temporary Visa revoked, have him removed from Australia by the Attorney-General's Department for his potential incitement of gay-hate crimes?

Has Jerry Lewis broken Australian law for saying the word 'fag' during a press conference??

I don't think an American tourist can be kicked out of Australia for making an *inexcusable outburst*. LOL! Seriously, if you're that passionate about your conviction that Jerry Lewis has commited such an injustice, what do you plan on DOING about it?

shaynesydney said on the 29th Oct, 2008

From what I understand, Jerry Lewis had only one concert here, on 26 Oct at the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall. I hope the 17 people in the audience enjoyed the show. No, Ash, I won't be jumping on a Greyhound to chase him around the country with a law suit.

Unlike John Laws, who was found guilty of homophobic vilification; and Jeff Kennett who will be charged with the same offence, Lewis will be outta here faster than you can fry up a batch of latkes.

jp52

jp52 said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Words are very powerful. Often the context can make all the difference. In this case, the context certainly made it clear that JL's comment was both a put-down of cricket and us.

jp52

jp52 said on the 29th Oct, 2008

jp52

jp52 said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Gold star for at least knowing what latkes are.

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 29th Oct, 2008

Only the words I choose to GIVE power have power.

The word 'fag' has no relevance to me, my life or the way in which I foster meaningful relationships with those I care about.

Other peoples *context* when using (powerless) words do not have any impact on my life.

If you think the word 'fag' is such a 'put-down' then I'd hate to think how you cope on a daily basis in Sydney peak-hour traffic when motorists call each other fucking idiots for not indicating.

Spooky

Spooky said on the 29th Oct, 2008

This is crazy, we are arguing amongst our selves and I have not met a new husband yet. Jerry probably said more homophobic things that echoed through the opera house, got paid some obscene fee and is out of here.

Net-neutrality is the new enemy!

Spooky

Spooky said on the 30th Oct, 2008

Hi Asherbella, I have tried to find what you wrote a few times now but with no luck. I think we have come to the end of the stream/line what have you.

Bren

Bren said on the 30th Oct, 2008

Thus, Jerry Lewis reveals himself to be a rude insensitive twit with no sense of empathy or proportion.

Regarding certain comments on here about the use of the word 'fag', I do wonder how people who suffer homophobic bashing while having the homophobic epithets like 'fag' screamed at them could be in any way construed to be "demolishing opportunities for themselves"?!

In the context of violent words accompanying violent actions, what does that comment even mean exactly? That very suggestion -- from someone who said he is not offended at being called a fag "because he is one", does that mean he wouldn't mind being greeted with "hi, fag" or confronted in public as "fag" ? -- is illogical verging on the moronic

As shayne neatly put it (with this and other comments), what "a farrago of spurious rationales".

Just in case any one was in any doubt that 'fag' is still a nasty word used in nasty ways by nasty people: http://www.godhatesfags.com/

honest said on the 30th Oct, 2008

I have a straight friend who'll sometimes greet me with "Hiya fag". I know he's just being silly and it doesn't bother me... because I am a fag. I just reply with "hey there breeder". :)

I don't think Jerry Lewis was beating anyone up when he used the word fag was he?

Like I said if you give a word power then it is so, but there have been situations where some people in the gay public try to overcome these violent outbursts by setting an example yet many Sydney gay groups or individuals choose to demolish those opportunities for their own purposes and this is why, I believe, our cause isn't well recognised by the greater Australian public.

Spooky

Spooky said on the 30th Oct, 2008

Good on you Bren! How could we forget the right honourable sick fuck, Mr Fred Phelps. This is some photo bucket fun I had with his daughter, I called it;
The Rapture (please excuse poor reproduction).

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 31st Oct, 2008

A 'fag' is a cigarette. English slang word.
A 'faggot' is a bundle of twigs that kindle the initial flames of a fire. Irish term.
A 'faggot' is also a Welsh term to describe leak and potato soup. ('Faggot soup').
Knowing the linguistic history of colloquial terms that have evolved into insults and then reciting these meanings automatically disarms the homophobes' smug satisfaction of thinking they've inflicted hurt or distress at having spewed 'fag' and 'faggot' in the first place.

dreadcircus

dreadcircus said on the 31st Oct, 2008

Is Jerry Lewis even still here? Maybe he's shaking up with the gay cricketers?

honest said on the 31st Oct, 2008

A 'fag' is a cigarette. English slang word.

Nice one :D

But regarding the connotation of the negative aspect of the word fag whilst beating someone up, I recall several situations where actual fags... er gay people have been guilty of the same. They just didn't use their fists.

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 1st Nov, 2008

English term as well..

apparently the degrading use of ' faggot' stems from the time they burnt witches. They used to tie up the caught homosexuals and burn them below the witches, with the wood, in the fire..

that's how the two terms got linked..

Bren

Bren said on the 1st Nov, 2008

A 'fag' is a cigarette. English slang word.

Yeh, sure. Because being a clever wordsmith is really effective at stopping homophobes in their tracks. "Shit! This guy knows his linguistic history of colloqiual terms! Leave him alone fellas, we've been bested. Let's find a dumber fag to bash".

You can recite dictionary definitions when it's your face being punched in to the vicious cry of "Fag', if you wish, but I somehow don't think that will help the situation much.

[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fag"]fag [SIZE=1]2 http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png /fg/
–noun Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=faggot"]FAGGOT[SIZE=1]2

[Origin: 1920–25, Americanism; by shorteninghttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png]

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 2nd Nov, 2008

Tips To Stop You From Being A Victim of Gay-Hate Crimes-
(1) Go out with friends - safety in numbers
(2) Carry a whistle in your pocket - blow as hard as you can first sign of impending trouble. Shout 'fire' - not 'help' - people will respond quicker to a fire than violence
(3) Self-defense classes - contact ACON for referral details
(4) Stay away from dimly-lit alley ways; especially if by yourself
(5) Avoid confrontation - walk/run away; flight, not fight

Follow these tips to minimize homophobic attacks.
The word 'fag' won't send you to hospital with a fractured eye socket, broken cheekbone and a shattered pelvis.
A gay bigot motivated enough to cause physical injury will do so regardless of whether he utters the word 'fag' or not. The word 'fag' of itself has no impact. Intention, spirit and action does.

Chancethegardener

Chancethegardener said on the 2nd Nov, 2008

LMFAO. If only there was someone in the audience when Lewis was mincing around, throwing the word 'fag' around willy-nilly, blowing on whistle and shouting, "FIRE! FIRE!" Yeah, that would have really showed him the error of his ways.

LOL.

Bren

Bren said on the 2nd Nov, 2008

Tips To Stop You From Being A Victim of Gay-Hate Crimes-
[...]
(5) Avoid confrontation - walk/run away; flight, not fight

Avoid confrontation. Exactly. Which, contrary to your earlier suggestion, includes NOT reciting the linguistic history of the word 'fag' to fag-hollering homophobes in some misguided feeble attempt to somehow disarm or belittle them. QED.

BBDDBB

BBDDBB said on the 6th Nov, 2008

I think you should treat this fantastic entertainer with alot more respect. He comes from an age where these words were acceptable - leave him alone and try and get on with your pathetic lives. As he once said in an letter ÿour a Smuck and you will always be a Smuck"but he will always be the greatest comedian that has ever graced our lives or those in the future - he is also one of the greatest humanitarians raising OVER US$2 BILLION for charity - can you say you have done the same in your life-time ?????????

BBDDBB

BBDDBB said on the 6th Nov, 2008

BBDDBB

BBDDBB said on the 6th Nov, 2008

Chancethegardener

Chancethegardener said on the 6th Nov, 2008

Hardly the point, really. Those who do good deeds are beyond moral reproach? What about his respect for gay people? Sheesh.

If you think Lewis is 'the greatest comedian that has ever graced our lives', you must surely be American. Have you ever heard of Spike Milligan or Peter Sellars? Easily far better comedians than Lewis ever has been.

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 6th Nov, 2008

3 posts all the same..

TROLL!!

honest said on the 6th Nov, 2008

So I guess by that logic if someone thinks Madonna is the greatest pop star then they should be American or that Nelson Mandela is the greatest symbol of freedom then they must be African or if John Lenon is the greatest symbol of world peace then they must be English? :rolleyes:

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 11th Nov, 2008

wow what a shame, I loved Jerry as a kid now i look forward to getting drunk on schnapps and throwing up on his grave, when he finally kicks the bucket.

badamj2000

badamj2000 said on the 12th Nov, 2008

Jerry Lewis an 'entertainer'?!! Get a grip!! He was the most lame puerile physical comedian there ever was!!!! All his movies were pure pap and seriously unfunny. At least he didnt pickle himself like Dean Martin

When he was quoted as saying cricket was for fags, I think he probably meant it was a not a serious 'real' sport but more on a par with lawn bowls or cards perhaps. Most Americans think all Brits are basically 'gay' ( effete piss elegant anal wankers) dont they ( n'est pas)?. They view most Australians as backward cousins living near Germany? I rest my case

datkindagal