Image for Carson Unfairly Targetted Over Appearance Fee

Carson Unfairly Targetted OverAppearance Fee

Queer Eye star Carson Kressley is being accused of “cashing in” on Victoria’s bushfire victims, because he charged an appearance fee to be part of a recent PR event staged by Myer.

The Daily Telegraph allege that he was paid a $10,000 fee to travel to fire ravaged communities during his recent Australian trip to attend the Logies. It’s said that Jennifer Hawkins – who is the face of Myer, and thus already well paid by the company – waived her appearance fee, as did former Neighbours actor Benjamin Hart, and a number of Chadwicks models.

The Telegraph said that the retail giant “was shocked to be informed it would have to pay for his participation”. Although how many other staff working on the PR stunt, like photographers and security, did so without payment? Let’s not forget, the fee didn’t come out of donations to victims, they came from a company that reported a 2008 net profit of $95 million, up from $68 million in 2007. And while the event “benefited 750 mums, women and children affected by the fires” this event was also a piece of PR for Myer. Putting smiles on bushfire victims’ faces on Mothers Day can mean a lot for a brand in dollar terms.

Kressley’s agent refused to comment to the Daily Telegraph, and while Myer confirmed that Kressley was paid a fee, they didn’t confirm the amount.

“There was an arrangement,” said Myer’s Mitch Catlin. “Myer does not discuss arrangements with our ambassadors but we were thrilled we were able to bring Carson to the mums and kids of Whittlesea.”

Check out our Logies 2009 gallery here.

Comments

princessnickie

princessnickie said on the 14th May, 2009

I reckon good on him, he needs to make a living - and as stated in the article, Myer reported a 2008 net profit of $95 Million.

I think there are several factors to keep in mind.

Great article!

jimmy_

jimmy_ said on the 14th May, 2009

I don't understand why anyone is impressed by Carson?

genkij

genkij said on the 14th May, 2009

ya get what ya pay off .... think of his dry cleaning bill PLEASE !!

zebra-stripes

zebra-stripes said on the 14th May, 2009

well far more interesting celebs have done more for far less

he can do what he wants i guess

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 14th May, 2009

oh no.. the outrage... ( snore ) wake me when its over..

torilee

torilee said on the 14th May, 2009

This is silly. Yes, it would've been nice if he'd waived the fee (or even better, donated it to the bushfire victims), but he is under no obligation to do so. And it's not as if he's taking money away from the victims, either. Next!

Travis de Jonk

Travis de Jonk said on the 14th May, 2009

He wasn't screwing over bushfire victims, he was asking for payment from a capitalist business engaging in an act of blatent self promotion. I'm sorry, what's the problem with that exactly?

danny corvini

danny corvini said on the 14th May, 2009

ha ha ha, when you put it like that..

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 14th May, 2009

If an Aussie celebrity like Kylie Minogue went to the US to appear on behalf of a big American retail chain like Sears to raise money for the Hurricane Katrina victims of New Orleans & charged them for an appearance fee would it be newsworthy? What would the Americans say about 'our' Kylie? I like to ponder 'role reversal' scenarios...

Spooky

Spooky said on the 14th May, 2009

It is none of our business. What I earn at work is between me and my employer; but then on the other hand that atavistic rag, The Daily Telegraph is just trying to stir up some homophobia. The Herald Sun had a dose of it this week down here in Melbourne with Andrew Bolt defending Miss California’s 1950’s mindset.

As I commonly say; I would not wipe my arse with a tabloid newspaper.

Grumpy

Grumpy said on the 14th May, 2009

Come on enough money has been raised for the bushfire victims. Pay Carson what is due to him. I know in these economic times i wouldn't be working for nothing.

shaynesydney

shaynesydney said on the 14th May, 2009

Well, what I don't get is this... The Red Cross Appeal has raised over $300 million. I'm guessing most of those who lost assets were insured. There'll also be a class action against the power company for $200 million. And I guess they had savings in the bank too. And so on. From memory, there were 7000 recipients of all this charity. If it was me, when it came to filling in the insurance claims, I'd suddenly remember I owned several ermine stoles plus an original Tiffany tea set with a periwinkle design. So...what's 7000 divided into $500 + millions? I gave my donations to da poor animals. :)

CeeJay

CeeJay said on the 14th May, 2009

Well actually - wasn't it was Myer "cashing in" on the bushfire victims by organising a PR stunt?

What a co-incidence that most of the publicity for the event was generated when a newspaper happened to find out the company was 'shocked' when they found out he wanted to be paid! I wonder how that happened?

drglen

drglen said on the 15th May, 2009

Carson visting the fire victims..... Surely they've suffered enough...

collingwoodboy

collingwoodboy said on the 15th May, 2009

hey well I have been working out of strathewen, kinglake, flowerdale, arthurs creek, pheasand creek and if i found out dis poof from da states accepted a fee to appear at whittlesea i would be very unhappy, being gay in da past three months and bein accepted by a community that has been devasted I would be very unhappy, Carson donate the money back to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal and go home!

collingwoodboy

collingwoodboy said on the 15th May, 2009

hmm princess pull ur head outof ur pillow while u are bein banged dude, u have know idea what is happenen up there so don't comment

orsman01

orsman01 said on the 15th May, 2009

Media celebrity's have to earn their dollars somehow. Carson is just doing what he does for a living. What I fear is more scary is the homophobic subplot. Would there be such a hue and cry if it was Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe or (heaven help me, I love her) Livvy? Would her fee even warrant being stated? I doubt it. What about all the news crews, the anchors, camera, lighting people etc who were covering the tragedy when it was happening? Should they have been working for nothing? Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here again - I'm with Spooky - it's not Carson, it's his sexuality that the "good" people at the Daily Telegraph are throwing their barbs at - however covertly... :-(

DanM82

DanM82 said on the 15th May, 2009

Did they pay for him to appear or did they cover his travel costs? They said an agreement not a payment.

Poetic Amy

Poetic Amy said on the 15th May, 2009

If a film star or media celebrity was to agree to appear at an event what would they charge? I'll bet it would be far greater then $10,000 dollars. I'm sure other people surrounding the event would have been more adequately rewarded. It's just another Newspaper poking the coals to see what will flare up. It happens all the time in the UK. How many people who have even attained a slight 'bit' of celebrity status via the media wouldn't want to cash-in during these (currently) fame obsessed times? Its just the Newspaper being 'picky'. It's not even news, to be honest.

corythepaperboy

corythepaperboy said on the 15th May, 2009

lol, being from a town very near to the areas that were burnt by the bushfires, i cannot fathom how anyone would want HIM parading about whittlesea.
i went to school there; the area is very conservative and the (then)principal of the school hired a councilor to talk me and my bf out of our "condition".

what a bad move; and what fools for paying him. i dont think anyone would want to see him, and if he had any compassion for the fire victims he would have visited them upon his own free will, not have to be bought into appearing in a town that wouldn't really appreciate his visit.

corythepaperboy

corythepaperboy said on the 15th May, 2009

why is this article titled "carson unfairly targeted over appearance fee"?
i don't see where the article justifies carson's innocence.
he IS cashing in, and i find it quite reasonable to emphasize this.
call it targeting, call it what you like. its not unfair - his act would be viewed by many to fall close to a crime and this public scrutiny is an apt consequence.

hazyinseptember

hazyinseptember said on the 16th May, 2009

why is this article titled "carson unfairly targeted over appearance fee"?
i don't see where the article justifies carson's innocence.
he IS cashing in, and i find it quite reasonable to emphasize this.

are you for real? close to a crime?

as someone else pointed out, were all the camera crews and media that covered the event also working for free?

None of the money from his appearance fee came from bushfire funds, it was funded by Myer..

so can you explain the crime?

dixonphil

dixonphil said on the 17th May, 2009

What a pathetic and highly unimaginative piece, not to mention trashy and usurprising. If Mr. Kresley accepted an appearcance fee then he deserves to be chastised, why do I get the feeling he's being defended simply because he's 'one of us'. Shame on you Christian!

yero69

yero69 said on the 17th May, 2009

I find Carson amusing on a good day, but he is simply peddling fluff and being highly paid for it, which is his right to make a living. However, why are the comments targeting him, when it was a Myers PR event under the guise of corporate philanthropy? It is no great secret corporate philanthropy is just another strategy to push the product..

corythepaperboy

corythepaperboy said on the 17th May, 2009

are you for real? close to a crime?

so can you explain the crime?

its disgusting, don't take what i said about it being a crime literally, i was just expressing my anger towards that queen. lol.
he is a horrible person, to accept to be paid for appearing there.
if he wanted to make a difference, by i don't know, giving men make-overs, the honorable thing to do would be to volunteer.
i volunteered at my local fire relief centre, and i am by no means a celebrity, but i certainly would not have taken money from someone who asked me to help out, and i think that its a horrible thing to do.
say "no" to helping people, carson, we wouldnt care.
but say "yeah sure" when offered $10,000 to do it, thats a crime.

orsman01

orsman01 said on the 18th May, 2009

I repeat my earlier comment - "HOW MANY OF THE OTHER MEDIA PEOPLE WERE DONATING THEIR TIME? THE CREWS, THE ANCHORS, ETC" So why pick on Carson (love him or hate him - he's doing his job) - why should he do it for nothing when no-one else is...???

Sorry for shouting but I feel it needs repeating loudly so it is heard.

orsman01

orsman01 said on the 18th May, 2009

...
say "no" to helping people, carson, we wouldnt care.
but say "yeah sure" when offered $10,000 to do it, thats a crime.

Respectfully, I suggest you're mixing up your own personal opinion of Carson with the facts, corythepaperboy!!!

Since when is doing your job a crime? Kressley is a celebrity and they make appearances for which they get paid. Is it also a crime for Madonna, Kylie, Lady Gaga, The Pussycat Dolls etc. etc. to get paid when they make appearances... whether performing or merely showing up? Think the AFL players give their time free of charge, cos they're nice? Hmmmmmn!

Just becos you don't like him or think his appearance was of any comfort/significance to the people whose lives were devastated by these events does not make the man a criminal. Nor disgusting. He's doing his job. And my guess is that the Myer people knew EXACTLY what they were doing sending such a flamboyant celebrity into such a conservative area...

How anyone can NOT see this bit of propaganda for what it truly is, astounds me. But then, I'm not political... ;-)

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 18th May, 2009

I'd like to know:
(a) the sum-total of the fee he requested
(b) the equation he came up with totalling that fee
(c) the amount he was actually paid
(d) did he charge of his own accord or was this fee his agents' idea

Makes all the difference...

dixonphil

dixonphil said on the 19th May, 2009

"Some might say the reverse is also true, dixonphil - he's being TARGETTED simply because he's "one of us"!!!"

Turn it up...
I'd say he's being 'targeted' because he sticks out like a sore thumb; and before you get all high and mighty on some "just because he's different" argument, let me qualify that by asking the question, 'what the hell does Carson Kresley have to do with the Victorian Bushfire Disaster!?'. Why on earth would you send in an expired fashion-faux-poof when half of Victoria is ravaged by fire?
Does he intend to redecorate?

dixonphil

dixonphil said on the 19th May, 2009

I'd like to know:
(a) the sum-total of the fee he requested
(b) the equation he came up with totalling that fee
(c) the amount he was actually paid
(d) did he charge of his own accord or was this fee his agents' idea

Makes all the difference...
I'm not sure that's the point 'Asherbella'.
It's the fact that Mr. Kresley profited from the VIC bushfire disaster, regardless of who paid him, that is so wrong. Yes, I'm sure there were costs involved for Mr. Kresley in appearing, but it should've been an act of charity for him to accept those costs without compensation in light of all that those affected had lost, I'm sure he could've spared that cash. Perhaps he could've arranged to have his 'fee' donated on his behalf to the appeal. Riding on the publicity of disaster, what high standards Mr. Kresley sets for himself.

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 20th May, 2009

I'm not sure that's the point 'Asherbella'.

Think of the impressionable masses. If the average Joe Bloggs sees celebrities front up for charitable causes; that has a ripple effect - they too, feel inspired to donate money/time/resources.
Carson being paid is beside the point. His presence/visibility helps the cause.