NSW couples can register fromtoday

It’s the first of July 2010 – from today, same-sex couples in New South Wales can register their partnership with the government and receive some legal rights.

Opened by the NSW Registry of Birth, Deaths and Marriages, the register aims to allow committed couples, straight or gay, easier access to government services and entitlements.

When dealing with a hospital, court or any government department, one certificate can now be used prove a couple is in a relationship, instead of several documents.

Any couple can apply to be registered, as long as at least one of them is a NSW resident, they are not part of any other marriage or other partnership, and can prove they share a committed relationship.

Application forms for the register are available from the NSW government’s Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages website here.

The Relationships Register Bill 2010 passed in NSW Parliament back in May, with all state Labor MPs and most Coalition members voting in favour of it.

Comments arrow left

Tatsuya said on the 1st Jul, 2010

Muki and myself are going to register for this, it makes a lot of things easier for us, and i dont give a rats what everyone is saying about how it's "marriage or nothing" get your heads out of your asses and appreciate what we've been given, stop being so ungrateful, it's better than nothing

petercross said on the 1st Jul, 2010

Absolutley it is better to eat the crumbs brushed from the dining table rather than starve... suddenly I'm not that hungry anymore

emale101 said on the 1st Jul, 2010

Just downloaded the application now. My partner and I married in Montreal in 2006. This is not the same as the civil marraige we had in Montreal but it is better than nothing at all. We must continue to push toward equality for union of between same sex couples but should take advantage of what is being offered now.

coast_boy said on the 2nd Jul, 2010

What does it make easier? What are the benefits??

peter888 said on the 3rd Jul, 2010

You get a pink triangle.

guru_g said on the 3rd Jul, 2010

I tried to register but they said I'd been rebirthed from a stolen vehicle and impounded me!

PatrickandtheDeepEnd said on the 4th Jul, 2010

that is freaking toe at a time but it's moving forward

sputnik sweetheart

sputnik sweetheart said on the 8th Jul, 2010

We still can't have an engagement party or a wedding. I still can't call my partner, my wife.

blaah said on the 9th Jul, 2010

You're correct of course. Can't have Gays thinking they're equal to straights, even though they are citizens of the same country!
More seriously, GLBTI Australians just have to keep plugging away for equal rights and never give up. An occasional collective and LOUD dummy spit by the community would'nt do any harm either.
As there will be an election before the end of the year, suggest that a few demo's and screaming matches out/inside any pre- election events would'nt do any harm either.

tricky28 said on the 9th Jul, 2010