Don't meow at Penny Wong!

One of the most powerful women in the Senate won’t put up with any sexist catcalls.

Finance Minister – and out lesbian Same Same 25er – Penny Wong just wanted a bit of quiet when speaking in a heated debate last night.

Her stern look earned a “meow” response from Tasmanian Senator David Bushby, which he immediately regretted.

“Oh yes, why don’t you meow when a woman does that?” Wong fired back. “That’s a good idea.

“Just extraordinary. The blokes are allowed to yell, but if a woman stands her ground, you want to make that kind of comment. It’s sort of schoolyard politics, mate.”

Take a look at the footage below. Well done Penny!

Comments

mark_ said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

I think this is pretty poor behaviour but
Gillard has slagged on Bob Brown not being in a family
Gillard has slagged on Christopher Pyne for being effeminate.

Gillard has some grubby allies

Phazz

Phazz said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

They are all nasty little shits who deserve to be put on a boat and sent to Malaysia

Brightside05

Brightside05 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Watch a session of parliament and you'll find more maturity in a kindergarten.

Anthony Mahera

Anthony Mahera said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

I saw this and honestly my first reaction was to burst out with laughter. I kinda found the whole situation hilarious.
But in saying that, it was inappropriate especially for parliament. Pity it's wasn't in the house of reps during question time. Things could have got messy, which as always is so entertaining. I love watching parliament :)

Sep77

Sep77 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

The sound effect - I hesitate to refer to it as a comment - had me do a double take when I heard it on the radio. His apology was even more pathetic "I'm sorry that she was offended by it". How about "I'm sorry that your leg was hurt when I kicked you". Insincere.

ammonite

ammonite said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Gillard has slagged on Bob Brown not being in a family
Gillard has slagged on Christopher Pyne for being effeminate.

ooooo sounds good. quotes please

mark_ said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Gillard reading from a scripted speech at the Gough Whitlam oration last Thursday—
''The Greens will never embrace Labor's delight at sharing the values of everyday Australians, in our cities, suburbs, towns and bush, who day after day do the right thing, leading purposeful and dignified lives, driven by love of family and nation.''

Gillard, Feb 23, 2009, mocks the Coalition for choosing Christopher Pyne as the manager of opposition business, rather than Tony Abbott—
"In a choice between macho and mincing I would have gone for macho myself…The leader of the Opposition faced with the choice of a doberman or the poodle has gone for the poodle."

Gillard in 2009

badamj2000

badamj2000 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

You go Penny. You tell 'em !

trina2004

trina2004 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Gillard in 2009

The second one yeah...but the first one isn't specifically attacking Bob Brown as not having a family...it's just trying to reinforce the misguided image people have that the Greens are inner city single latte drinkers.

I hate Chris pyne. He's a vicious man.

mark_ said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

not as vicious as the slug sitting behind Gillard in the picture above

ammonite

ammonite said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

thanks mark, that pyne one is especially appalling.

ammonite

ammonite said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

penny when she's angry
phwoar

Travis de Jonk

Travis de Jonk said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Penny has also been charged with trying to sell Labour's Boat People policy with Malaysia to the public - Ykes! But she manages to do it. She's fierce. I love that she's got balls. Um, well you know what I mean.

TheOldie said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Saw this on TV . Loved how she put the turd in his place. He looked like a silly schoolboy walking up the corridor ignoring the press.

Phazz

Phazz said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

While we are focusing on such childish behaviour, the Victorian Liberals have passed a bill to rollback EEO protection for GLBTIQ people.

trina2004

trina2004 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

penny when she's angry
phwoar

+10000

Best looking woman in the senate.

Gloomis666

Gloomis666 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Penny Wong looks like Kevin Rudd without glasses and dyed black hair... as a matter of fact I think it is him, trying sneakily to get back into power.

mark_ said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

+10000

Best looking woman in the senate.

there's not much competition, Trina

Gloomis666

Gloomis666 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Gillard, I seen her in parliment the other night/morn, she just gets up their an barks away, she doesn't stop.. what is wrong with her voice?
A fiftey year old bloodhound has more speech articulation.

NATEE

NATEE said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Hahahahaha I find that so funny. She does have a point though. Those baby boomer guys think there it. They come from a wierd generation.

Spooky

Spooky said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

I love Penny and her androgyny is hot! Even redneck, homophobic Barnaby Joyce was displaying his respect for her on Late line last night.

crazzymikey

crazzymikey said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

I am not a fan of hers but I love the way she handled this

MrAsh said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

I like Penny Wong, she's gutsy and stands her ground.

trina2004

trina2004 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

there's not much competition, Trina

true, true

Grumpy

Grumpy said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

Except in the gay marriage debate....toes the sad Labour line.

wysiwyg

wysiwyg said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

if someone meowed at tony abbott would there be an outrage

trina2004

trina2004 said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

this again. :rolleyes:

No, there is no white upperclass male slurs.
He can be a bogan or a racist or idiot but there are no 'it's bad to be a white man' slurs.

local_warming

local_warming said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

+10000

Best looking woman in the senate.

yes, but that has to be put in context - its hardly a beauty parlor there

MrAsh said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

All labour people do. Yet we don't know what she does in the backrooms! :)

Grumpy

Grumpy said on the 2nd Jun, 2011

What she does SOPV's?

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 3rd Jun, 2011

Penny was right to make the call and pull up the Liberals' sub-culture of passive aggressive bullying of women. It exists in politics, in general, more so with Tony Abbott at the helm of the Coalition. A mans' assertion in politics is expected, applauded and even respected; a woman in politics, usually, is treated with a condescending tone if she isn't 'eye candy' and if she is considered the stereotypical view as 'hot' she gets treated like either an idiot or a sex object.
With Penny we have a formidable, forthright and extremely intelligent woman. Period. How she expresses herself is in no way connected to her gender; what she says is more important at work - in the face of such pressure. Good on her.