Image for Mardi Gras 2012: "LGBTQI pride, arts and culture"

Mardi Gras 2012: "LGBTQIpride, arts and culture"

Revealed today, the four different covers of the Sydney Mardi Gras official 2012 festival guide read – “Celebrating lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex pride.”

The new pocket-sized guide, which will be free to pick up from gay hotspots around the city from this weekend, feature drag showgirl Summer Salt, original 1978 marcher Ron Austin, the Oxford Hotel’s Tia Lee and Harbour City Bear Ross James making up the four alternative covers.

Sydney Mardi Gras promise “a diverse line-up of more than 60 events celebrating lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex pride” for 2012’s festival.

The official Festival Guide, which is will be available to view online on Mardi Gras’ website next week, confirms the full list of activities planned, from new theatre shows, to Queer Thinking speakers, along with returning favourites like the Harbour Party.

Meanwhile, a slew of new headliner acts has been announced for the offiical Sydney Mardi Gras Party set for 3 March 2012. Chicane, Wayne G, Lee Dagger of Bimbo Jones and Andy Butler will join the Mardigrasland adventure park themed event.

The 2012 Harbour Party line-up has now also been revealed. The popular annual harbour-side dance party, taking place on Saturday Feb 25th, will feature performances from Lee Dagger of Bimbo Jones, Kate Monroe, Troy Cox, and Olivian DJ.

JOINING THE PARADE?

Applications are now being taken from groups interested in joining the 2012 Mardi Gras Parade on March 3.

Just like last year, 2012’s Parade entrant criteria specifies that entries must fall into one of two categories: either “LGBTQI individuals, groups and organisations communicating a message” or “non-LGBTQI individuals, groups and organisations communicating a clear message of support or celebration for LGBTQI people.”

The official Parade Entry Kit is now available to download here.

Tickets and more details about Sydney Mardi Gras 2012 are available on its official website here.

Comments

Travis de Jonk

Travis de Jonk said on the 9th Dec, 2011

The covers are a good idea.

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 9th Dec, 2011

I do not feel any of these covers are inclusive enough - nor that they represent the message that Straight Mardi Gras is trying to put forward.

I suggest- they hire a photographer- and start by putting Telstra and Foxtel on the covers. The next cover could have the NAB Bank logo- while the next one- should just be a recycled " Penthouse" cover- to make sure that straight boys are also included

mark_ said on the 9th Dec, 2011

A few years Chadwicks Model Agency had a commercial float in the parade.

Some of the boys were obviously unhappy about it so they jumped off the float every couple of blocks and pashed women in the crowd at random to prove their masculinity.

The same thing happened last year on another of the commercial floats.

BrendanMaclean

BrendanMaclean said on the 9th Dec, 2011

Jesus "Light-bearer" do you actually need a man inside another man waving a "Equal marriage" banner whilst exclaiming that he "just wants to be treated the same" before you're happy.

God damn.

mark_ said on the 9th Dec, 2011

is there a comma missing after the word Jesus?

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 9th Dec, 2011

Well I'm not a drag queen, an octagenarian, a woman whose mouth is too big or a bear. I'm feeling excluded.

God damn.

Don't be silly. Next you'll be suggesting they do something really outrageous like call it the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 9th Dec, 2011

I think the Sydney Mardi Gras is so iconic, been running for so many years that it's stretched itself too thinly. What I mean is that political correctness, surveys, dissembling, re-assembling, relabelling, sponsorship, tourism dollars, the inclusion factor of absolutely everyone has resulted in this kind of diluted 'Mardi Gras is for everybody on the planet' mentality when in reality it isn't. Because of this we get an alphabet soup mix of stuff. This is not a criticism; it's an observation.
The promotion is uber-hyper-'yay'. In reality an elderly man wearing glasses is a NYE Dickensian fable, the bear dude with the carrot coloured hair is juxtaposed with an extremely Brady Bunch-like drag queen and the Maori (?) lady is so SBS it isn't funny.
Yes, we are diverse, support and participation/volunteerism is high; the community is in essence unique and we are all coming together to unite for common reasons with different life experiences to share and celebrate. But let's get real.
*Happy happy joy joy* when in reality the strip has lost its' sheen ain't gonna magically re-vitalise Mardi Gras. In reality the old man has taken his dentures and put them in Steradent by the time the dykes on bikes arrive and the chubby bear guy has just gotten upset that his boyfriend got lucky at Headquarters behind his back because he was in 'Mardi Gras' mode.
I'm not being negative; all I'm saying is this: Mardi Gras is not for everyone and it isn't as 'happy' as it once was. No disrespect intended. Like LB said.....nice try. But no. I say that with a hint of bitter-sweet nostalgia. The campaign has value, of course, but I don't think it's effective as it should be for 2012. Most people will be saving their pennies to get to the London Games next year??

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 9th Dec, 2011

Actually, in a way you have to give Mardi Gras kudos for actually thinking ahead for the first time in their existence. Piss of the gay and lesbian community this year by excluding them, and then next year they have the perfect excuse....."Gays and lesbians don't support Mardi Gras anymore. We had to open it up to straights and move it to Homebush to remain viable".

Lazzarus

Lazzarus said on the 9th Dec, 2011

I think they look cool :)

Grumpy

Grumpy said on the 9th Dec, 2011

Is that Oldie on the second cover?

Grumpy

Grumpy said on the 9th Dec, 2011

Put your contacts in sweetie...........surely you jest.

Grumpy

Grumpy said on the 9th Dec, 2011

And whats with the fucken Elton John glasses on them all? Sooooooooo like last century circa 1970's.

Lazzarus

Lazzarus said on the 9th Dec, 2011

hahaha!!! That was the first thing I thought as well.

JayTee

JayTee said on the 9th Dec, 2011

LOL.

I'm with you.

It feels like they are trying to undo the "gay and lesbian"-less decision.

and doing it badly.

but dodgy posters are a mardi gras tradition.

JayTee

JayTee said on the 9th Dec, 2011

God damn.

that would be better than these covers.

TheOldie said on the 9th Dec, 2011

someone's going to die.....................................................

Grumpy

Grumpy said on the 9th Dec, 2011

Handbags at 10 paces in the Hordern?

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 9th Dec, 2011

God damn.

I have been confused for Jesus before. It seems to be a common mistake among you long haired types.

I'm never happy.

Don't mention God. He won't help you here.

neal james

neal james said on the 9th Dec, 2011

haha. so diverse & inclusive.

& what a surprise, australia: everyone's white.

we all get the gods we deserve. etc...

museboy

museboy said on the 9th Dec, 2011

I agree with previous posts that this is a bit of damage control. But I like the photos.

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 10th Dec, 2011

This damage can't be controlled now.

I look forward to watching this entire thing collapse in on itself.

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 10th Dec, 2011

I actually like the photographs however not exactly within the context of Mardi Gras promotion 2012.

As a series of shots they're good however I feel it's stretching the demographic too broadly - so obviously trying to be diverse it's not diverse; almost stereotypical. Does that make sense? The 'Sydney Mardi Gras' as a title....it doesn't sit comfortably with me. Too bland. Generic. 'One size fits all' when Mardi Gras is about equality. Have we completely lost the spirit of '78? I think I just realised. Yes. The promotion lacks spirit. We still struggle for understanding. The photos lack understanding. It's merely advertising.
I don't think it's a matter of being 'gay enough'. It's about taking Mardi Gras for granted that it's turned into just a party season, not a statement of solidarity anymore? The Coalition holds the balance of power in terms of passing legislation regarding same sex marriage. And yet we get Dame Edna glasses on absolutely everyone. Any thoughts?

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 10th Dec, 2011

lol this is punishment for putting Amanda Lapore at the head of the MG parade a few years back.

JayTee

JayTee said on the 10th Dec, 2011

Which groups are reprsented by these pics?

I can only see gay older men and bears.

mark_ said on the 10th Dec, 2011

I'm tallying the posts and the 'Likes' here and I think there's a generational split.

The youngsters love the New & Improved Straight Mardi Gras. The others don't.

JayTee

JayTee said on the 10th Dec, 2011

I'm not old! Take that back Mark!! Lol

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 10th Dec, 2011

The youngsters love the New & Improved Straight Mardi Gras. The others don't.

Perhaps it reflects the difference between those who remember Mardi Gras when it meant something more than just a tits and arse show and those who only know it as something sponsored by Foxtel.

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 10th Dec, 2011

The younger gays and lesbians of today live in 'It's all about me'.
The older gays and lesbians of today live in 'I remember when it was about us'.

I'm 35. I remember when it was about us. Technically I'm not that old but I think Mardi has lost something undefinable. I don't think it'll ever be the same again. I say that with sadness.

mark_ said on the 10th Dec, 2011

Yes, you're right. If the oldies can't keep it economically viable I think it's time to drop the original gay rationale altogether. Hand the whole parade thing over to some taxpayer-funded government body to organise out an all-inclusive drunken debauchery party at Homebush.

The party being stopped a gay party 15 years ago. And Jesse Matheson says the parade is just for straight bogans now;

The only people who would lose are the gay wannabes and media-starlets on the MG board who use it as their career stepping-stone.

TheOldie said on the 10th Dec, 2011

Why do people keep focusing and trashing the Party ?

The Parade is more visible but there are so many other things that are on that few weeks including Fair Day which attracts more than any party ever will.

Each to his own. We all have different tastes.

mark_ said on the 10th Dec, 2011

^
Supposedly a gay party would be celebrating that which makes us gay— and that means flirting and cruising and making new acquaintances

Speaking for myself, I don't feel very gay if there are bogans and Marios and fag-hags and uniformed security thugs standing around inhibiting me from expressing my essential gay nature.
You have to organise a posse of friends to go the $150 parties nowdays; a newbie wouldn't want to go there alone nowdays.

~~

I agree that the Fair Day is still worthwhile.

TheOldie said on the 10th Dec, 2011

As you know I have been going to the parties for the last 25 years or so.

When was the last time you went ? are you relying on your own judgement ? or what others say ?

The parties have always had what you refer to as bogans and Marios just as most venues on Oxford St do.

At no stage have I ever seen or heard of thug security standing around inhibiting anyones gayness but if you mean having sex anywhere
then I appreciate there efforts to stop that.

Its about the only place in Sydney where you can go and openly show your gayness without the threat of some dickhead on Oxford St yelling out you or attacking you.

mark_ said on the 10th Dec, 2011

^ about ten years ago.

What about those harmless recreational drugs?

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 10th Dec, 2011

Agree with Oldie re: stopping people having sex anywhere and everywhere at the parties. I remember one Sleaze ball where at one stage the entire area betwee two lots of bleachers was completely full of guys having, or trying to have, sex. It was so unecessary.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm really gay.

mark_ said on the 10th Dec, 2011

^
you're a Recovering Catholic!

And it was a Sleaze party.

TheOldie said on the 10th Dec, 2011

What do you mean "those harmless recreational drugs" ?

TheOldie said on the 11th Dec, 2011

At no stage has any Mardi Gras Party or Sleaze Party party been a place to go and openly have sex.

yes in the early days there were areas you could go to get off but just cause it was a Sleaze party didnt meant everyone going was going to be
Sleazy.

But times have changed as you yourself found out at The Shift once. Those days are gone. There are venues specifically for sex.

Your viewpoints are just that , 10 years out of date and second hand information. I have always loved the parties and to just walk around
seeing everyone chatting/hugging/kissing/outrageous costumes just cannot be beaten and nor could you replicate that on Oxford St. It has
a calm/safe air about it.

Grumpy

Grumpy said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Thank god The Box is back.......

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Sometimes I wonder if I'm really gay.

Of course it's necessary.

Sex is awesome and everyone should be fucking.

It shouldn't be the only thing we do- but god damned it- I wanna see fucking on the streets

ammonite

ammonite said on the 11th Dec, 2011

haha. so diverse & inclusive.

& what a surprise, australia: everyone's white.

we all get the gods we deserve. etc...

:confused: umm tia lee?

she's also the token woman (and token transgendered?) and token bisexual? - i guess that means she represents lesbians too

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 11th Dec, 2011

I haven't seen anything this diverse since last years posters.

Or the posters the year before that.

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 11th Dec, 2011

I am constructing a giant pink air balloon and we are going to Candy Mountain.

wysiwyg

wysiwyg said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Sleazy.

a calm/safe air about it.

who is this you're referring to?

does it involve Pot Plants?

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 11th Dec, 2011

^
you're a Recovering Catholic!

And it was a Sleaze party.

No Mark_, I was born into a catholic family but never accepted the religion as my own. You're the one who seems to be obsesssed with catholicism - something to do with some catholic who rejected you I believe.

And so what if it was a Sleaze Ball? Seriously, if sad old queens can't keep it in their pants for a few hours or at least find somewhere discreet for their pathetic, desperate trawling they're probably better off sticking to public toilets and staying away from polite company. As long as gay men see sucking cock as the only way to "express their essential gay nature" the longer we will be fighting to achieve respect from the wider community.

Husky-D

Husky-D said on the 11th Dec, 2011

The youngsters love the New & Improved Straight Mardi Gras. The others don't.

I'm 26 and I do NOT like it.

Husky-D

Husky-D said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Why do people keep focusing and trashing the Party ?

Each to his own. We all have different tastes.

I agree. Fair Day would probably be the only event that I'd go to next year, perhaps some queer movie sessions too.

Paid for my tickets to go to the Party early this year and that was it. I'd rather prefer partying in clubs on Oxford st. next year, because I'm not happy about the new branding and name change and the Party was kind of a "meh" anyway.

Willy358

Willy358 said on the 14th Dec, 2011

It seems to me that everyone is so caught up in the drama and complaining that they are forgetting it's a celebration. Change happens. Might as well accept it and have a good time rather than being negative and dragging everyones spirits down.

I couldn't give a rats arse what the official title is, or who/what is on the posters. This will be my first march and it's not even about me. I'm marching to show others that it is possible to be gay and happy. For me its about showing all those who are struggling with their sexuality that you can be proud of yourself. No matter who you are.. GBLIQTAKSJ%5?∂Ωƒ∂å