Image for Adam Hills to host mass gay wedding on show

Adam Hills to host mass gaywedding on show

One of Australia’s most beloved and respected comedians Adam Hills lent his support to gay marriage last week when he spoke to lesbian couple Elyse and Rebecca, who were in the audience for Hills’ show Adam Hills in Gordon St. Tonight on ABC1.

After revealing that the issue of gay marriage would be the number one thing changed in Australia by his audience were they Prime Minister, Hills told the couple that although it wouldn’t be a legal union – being only “a mere TV host,” in his words – he could offer the two a “TV wedding.”

Watch Rebecca’s ‘proposal’ to Elyse on ABC iView, around the 6-minute mark.

On this week’s episode, Hills spoke to Elyse and Rebecca once again to let them know that a controversy had arisen over their TV wedding: it turns out that a lot of gay couples wanted a TV wedding as well, and had let Adam and the show know about it.

The TV wedding has now been expanded to what is being described as a “mass gay wedding” in which Hills plans to “marry” as many gay couples as possible. It looks set to be an extraordinary event planned for Monday 26 March.

The official Adam Hills in Gordon St. Tonight Facebook page posted this update shortly after Hills’ announcement:

“To join our Mass Gay TV Wedding on March 26, email gordonst@abc.net.au – include your contact details and a pic of the happy couple!”

Hills, 41, is straight, but has been a continued supporter of the GLBT community, particularly within the field of comedy.

His sidekick on Gordon St. is out-lesbian comic Hannah Gadsby, whom we can bet will be a part of the mass gay wedding in some way.

What do you think? Is Adam’s mass gay wedding just a laugh? Or will it assist the wider Australian community in paying attention? Let us know!

Comments

Doolander

Doolander said on the 16th Feb, 2012

I guess this is meant to be a bit of a light-hearted push in the right direction, but I can't help but think it will feel a bit gimmicky?

Won't it bring back about the argument of:
If we're just going to 'get married' anyway, why do we need the legislation?

Slippery slope me thinks....

mark_ said on the 16th Feb, 2012

This show is garbage. With lots of guffawing over penis jokes.

Doolander

Doolander said on the 17th Feb, 2012

So just when I was thinking maybe I should tune in and check it out. You're saying I shouldn't?

It would be the first TV I've watched in years....

Barrin

Barrin said on the 17th Feb, 2012

I liked Spicks and Specks but there's a smugness about this show which made me cringe.

mark_ said on the 17th Feb, 2012

He has the smugness of the typical PC ABC holier-than thou presenter combined with the smirk of a used-car dealer.

The show is meant as replacement the Denton show where celebrities come on to spruik their latest movie or product.

His interview style is the same as Graham Norton's. "Tell us about how you lost your pants on stage', 'What's the most embarrassing moment in your life?', 'Tell us about how the circus elephant defecated on your feet.'

I'm told last week some actress told clitoris jokes and about being trapped nude of stage for an hour.

:rolleyes:

Irene

Irene said on the 17th Feb, 2012

Anything like that is going to be tacky. And of the couples who go on it allegedly to marry, many if not most of them wouldn't marry their partner irl anyway - they'd be going on the show purely to be on the show - 'Look at me'.

laurenANDamy

laurenANDamy said on the 19th Feb, 2012

how do my fiance and i get married on it too?

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 19th Feb, 2012

Sounds like something that would happen in South Korea on Valentines' Day.
I understand the sentiment but the format is too contrived.
Adam Hills has latched on to something topical and given it a 'spin' for ratings.

Will there be a proper Marriage Celebrant officiating in defiance of same sex inequality?
If not, then it's not really a collective wedding ceremony.

Doolander

Doolander said on the 20th Feb, 2012

Sounds like something that would happen in South Korea on Valentines' Day.
I understand the sentiment but the format is too contrived.

If not, then it's not really a collective wedding ceremony.

No, Adam Hills himself will be the 'celebrant', they have prefaced this with the fact it will not be a legal union, but rather a TV wedding.
Even if a proper marriage celebrant was officiating, it has as much effect as if Hills himself did it.

I don't think he has 'latched' onto something, seeing as Hills is a long-time supporter of ze gheys.... I just think it may have been an ill-conceived idea.

Doolander

Doolander said on the 20th Feb, 2012

You didn't read the article did you?

Asherbella

Asherbella said on the 20th Feb, 2012

I admire Adam Hills greatly and think he's witty. Clever.
Anything 'super-size' to me just sounds, well, tacky.
I think a declaration to the change of the Marriage Act with a preamble would work well given Hills' chosen format; to make the proceedings that much more formal and poignant. Give the tackiness a hint of dramatic irony, humour and classic Adam Hills casual, urbane class.

mark_ said on the 20th Feb, 2012

^
Asher, some of your poems have more wit than that smirking Benny Hill

Travis de Jonk

Travis de Jonk said on the 21st Feb, 2012

Well I only recently sat down and watched the show. I thought it was pretty watchable. Australia isn't known for fabulous talk shows, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon. So... you know, my expectations were pretty low. But it looks like they are having some fun, featuring interesting people and taking some risks.