What went wrong with RuPaul?

The amazing Kylie Minogue and Aussie electro-popsters Sneaky Sound System wowed the crowds at Saturday night’s Mardigrasland, but RuPaul’s show left several party punters in the RHI scratching their heads and some in the front rows even loudly booing the visiting drag superstar.

“She fucked it up – she needed to sashay away,” laughed several partygoers on Facebook today.

Alone on the giant stage at midnight in the Royal Hall of Industries, RuPaul badly mimed her song Supermodel, then departed, leaving her back-up dancers to perform the theme of Drag Race by themselves.

“She looked bored and mimed her own song badly, not caring if she stopped ‘singing’ while the main vocals on the song kept going,” said a party punter who witnessed the carnage. Afterwards, she told the crowd “Happy Pride!” and even mocked our Aussie accents a little.

Take a look…

The Mardi Gras crew won’t comment officially, but those involved with Ru’s show were yesterday muttering about how hard she was to work with, with creative tussles ending in her refusal to be on stage with any of the back-up dancers.

Respected local drag diva Shelley Legs Diamond says she was a genuine fan of RuPaul but she’s lost her respect after seeing the disastrous act.

“I was camped out in the RHI to see a drag superstar, not Kylie like most other partygoers,” she tells Same Same today. “That’s why I was so disappointed by what I saw. Everyone was like WTF!?”

However, those who saw her later in the Forum report that she was on top form for her solo songs, with the crowd lapping up her performance and admiring her stunning look.

Here’s some YouTube from the Forum… decide for yourself:

Comments

Matt22

Matt22 said on the 4th Mar, 2012

Sooo disapointed by her show at Mardi Gras. She left the stage and did not return. How unproffessional! How would she reacte if someone on her show just gave up. I dont know if she could not keep up with the dancers who then finished the performance to her backing track. Total disaster. Thank you Kylie for giving us what we wanted. 2 tickets are now available for Rupaul not that it is sold out. But I would not waste my time watching her ever again!!

shireboy

shireboy said on the 4th Mar, 2012

I wonder if anyone else took any vids of the show ??

Beau

Beau said on the 4th Mar, 2012

Wow, white teeth, black skin, robo moves and talent questionable. That is ahhble with a french something.

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 4th Mar, 2012

SMG just put the entire trans community on notice for bringing Rupaul out. Good fucking job SMG you fucking ass holes. We are done with SMG for good. You can have your ikea, cops, raliens and fucking EXPENSIVE PARTIES fuck you fuck your disrespect for the trans community and good fucking bye.

this year we do our own thing in November.

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 4th Mar, 2012

let me hear you bleat about how bad Ruaul is as an artist because we are tired of bleating about how Rupaul sucks as a human being. Hey but if a bad drag act is your idea of a human rights issue then you need to get your fucking sad pathetic spoiled ass into a time machine and go back and see where the fuck we came from.

Beau

Beau said on the 4th Mar, 2012

When we can tear ourselves away from the monitor (and cake) gays are screaming for something better (on the inside).

TheOldie said on the 4th Mar, 2012

One of my mates said she said " Happy Pride " ??? then Happy Mardi Gras. any confirmation ?

We came into RHI around midnight and only caught part of her act but boring. Didnt seem to be any wow factor to the song at all.

Seany

Seany said on the 4th Mar, 2012

Yes...he said 'happy pride' than corrected himself to 'mardi gra'

Super model was boring...no movement just looked like a gold statue stuck to a pole...the dancing for covergirl was good...just a pity that rupaul didn't sing it live!

Phazz

Phazz said on the 4th Mar, 2012

Rupaul was terrible and that was deserving because Rupaul is a terrible person.

mervotron

mervotron said on the 4th Mar, 2012

Considering Ru Paul was supposed to be one of the headliners I was rather disappointed... And she's supposed to be headlining Big Gay Day in Brisbane on Sunday... I hope it rains heavy on Ru...

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Take it easy on him.

He isn't used to playing the Desperate and Dateless ball

branko

branko said on the 5th Mar, 2012

what songs did RuPaul perform?

mervotron

mervotron said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Songs? Don't you mean song? I don't even know what it was...

Phazz

Phazz said on the 5th Mar, 2012

The drag shows of recent years by local performers are good. This wasn't. I hope this feedback is seen by board members.

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 5th Mar, 2012

"What went wrong with RuPaul?"

yall gave money to a transphobe thats what went wrong. Dont worry about his lack of talent he is a known transp0hobe. So thanks SMG for bring out a transphobe and paying him to perform and all you clowns who paid him to vilify transfolk. You totally got what you paid for. After meetings with the SMGC they did exactly what they siad they wouldnt.

iammyexperiment

iammyexperiment said on the 5th Mar, 2012

I saw the RHI performance up close & Ru Paul did seem quite disinterested. Perhaps a little pissed that the focus of the night was on Kylie and not on her ? Whatever it was clear from the separation between her performance and the separate show by the dancers that there must have been "creative differences'. However the mark of a true professional is whether they allow these things to impact on their performance. Unfortunately she did. And she left around 5,000 people wondering WTF Ru Paul?

crazzymikey

crazzymikey said on the 5th Mar, 2012

she was awful -- I stood between some pretty fat sweaty people for two hours, it was like a sauna. some kept touching me and I thought I was going ot pass out. then that came on and at the end says happy pride lol.

genkij

genkij said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Only sa2w a bit in Forum-hi fi what ever they are calling it now ...she was pretty good but lacked production most definitely.

david_margeaux

david_margeaux said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Yeah but even if it is they'll do what they like and then claim wide community consultation took place LOL

jamesbesanvalle

jamesbesanvalle said on the 5th Mar, 2012

I really wanted to see her but I didn't know what stage she was performing on! Maybe it was a good thing I didn't though after reading this...

Barrin

Barrin said on the 5th Mar, 2012

I'll be in Brisbane next weekend. I don't care who's performing. At least up there it's still Big GAY Day.

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 5th Mar, 2012

It really looks likes a pretty average drag show. What time was she* on? Maybe her medication had kicked in and in her mind she was putting on a fabulaous show.

*This is confusing. I thought drag queens preferred to be addressed as she/her when in drag (and to only be addressed by their drag name not their boy name), but people have been referring to RuPaul as he. Can anyone enlighten me? Mama?

Brutusbear

Brutusbear said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Ru Paul ... sashay away

Dsquare

Dsquare said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Maybe she was waiting for Rhianna to do a duet for the second song?

Light-Bearer

Light-Bearer said on the 5th Mar, 2012

And take Mardi Gras with you

Spooky

Spooky said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Will she still go to Brisbane?

Kari

Kari said on the 5th Mar, 2012

I liked the song when it came out.....

iammyexperiment

iammyexperiment said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Incidentally the still photo at the head of the article is from her RHI performance. The youtube clips are presumably her later performance in the Forum.

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Rupaul does deserve the she title, He is a he even in drag he is a gay man in drag and transphobic. Sash the fuck away fuckface.

Yall gave money to a transphobe

your actions speak louder then words my friends

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 5th Mar, 2012

they scream blue murder at any sign of homophobia yet they revel in transphobia. Lets just call a spade a spade

datkindagal

datkindagal said on the 5th Mar, 2012

$85 is that what our lives are worth to you

nvek69

nvek69 said on the 5th Mar, 2012

I actually think part of our disappointment is due to the fact we're totally spoiled. I've seen drag acts in cities all over the world and no city - NOT ONE - has comparable quality and quantity of acts we have here is Sydney.

Lush

Lush said on the 5th Mar, 2012

That was sad looking. I LOVE RU PAUL but I've seen more movement from Divine in her later days. At least Divine walked around the stage a bit.

merman87

merman87 said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Are we supposed to compare both videos to see which one is the bigger steaming pile of turd? With the amount of money shes getting for this gig, youd think she'd wear something more fabulous than a gown she bought on her stopover in Bali!

Spooky

Spooky said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Yeah the trans-humanism jump suit is just not camp!

crazzymikey

crazzymikey said on the 5th Mar, 2012

I heard mardi gras paid her $100, 000 what a waste of money

handyandy1

handyandy1 said on the 5th Mar, 2012

And what was Ru Pauls appearance fee?

Spooky

Spooky said on the 5th Mar, 2012

That's disgusting and I want to give her the benefit of the doubt! But your average punter at Mardi Gras would be sacked for less and she walks away with a hundred grand after she lets her ego get the better of her professionalism?

ihaveskin

ihaveskin said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Here are a few replies to this thread
Firstly to the people claiming that RuPaul was paid $100 000, do the sums and then make intelligent reports. There is no way MG could affford to pay anyone $100 000. There is also no way that sort of money would be allowed to go out of MG without a lot of people knowing about it.
Secondly to datkindagirl - could it be possible that the people choosing the performers did not know that RuPaul was transphobic? I certainly didnt know that. (However now that I do, I will not support anything RuPaul does until she changes her views and starts to actively and visibly support the trans community).
And lastly - the party was pretty damn good. The DJ's across the different venues did a great job, the crowd appeared to be enjoying themselves and my friends and I had a great time - without the use of alcohol or drugs.

iCraig2

iCraig2 said on the 5th Mar, 2012

I was near the front and she looked contemptuously at the audience, not smiling at all and her performance reflected that contempt. Sorry for Mardi Gras but happy that the moment was over quickly. Sneaky Sound System and Kylie more than made up for the RuPaul failure

handyandy1

handyandy1 said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Even if Ru Pauls appearance fee was $25,000 you could have hired a platoon of Sydney drags that would have staged a show that would have been unforgettable for the right reasons, rather than unforgettable for the reasons we are discussing here.
And Ihaveskin, you need to remember that MG went under once and nobody saw that coming...and that too was a result of VERY bad financial decisions!

handyandy1

handyandy1 said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Even if her appearance fee was $25000 you could have hired a platoon of Sydney drags that would have given us a show that was unforgettable for all the right reasons, rather than something unforgettable because it was sooooo bad!

And Ihaveskin, MG has already gone under once because of very poor financial decisions, nobody saw that coming, it was decisions like this that contributed last time!

handyandy1

handyandy1 said on the 5th Mar, 2012

Sorry for repeating myself, but I think you get the point!

DavoJimbo

DavoJimbo said on the 6th Mar, 2012

Sounds more like tall poppy syndrome than anything else. RuPaul has made it to the top by being RuPaul, which is a drag queen extraordinaire with an attitude to match. One does not a diva become without copping a bit of diva attitude now and again. His she has reached a spot that no one has before. Get over it.
Perhaps we are reaching a time when we all need to reclaim our own spaces - this alphabet soup bitching is never ending.

coast_boy_21

coast_boy_21 said on the 7th Mar, 2012

RuPaul is crap in real life, but totally different in tv land.

crazzymikey

crazzymikey said on the 7th Mar, 2012

well actually kylie gave back her appearance money to mardi gras as a donation so I guess they could afford to pay 100, 000 to ru paul. I hope that isn't true though its such a waste of money. I know she is expensive.
she needs to WORK

badamj2000

badamj2000 said on the 7th Mar, 2012

is it all somehow my fault?

biflab

biflab said on the 8th Mar, 2012

Now that you mention it....yes it is.

youngbuck87

youngbuck87 said on the 14th Mar, 2012

I heard she was pushed out on stage without a cue and they just started playing her music. You could understand how that could be the catalyst for a poor performance. I had the privilege of seeing her on Sunday at the Metro where I think she gave a tremendous performance.

For the record Ru Paul is a big fan of Australia. She commented during the Metro show that her hair stylist was Aussie and she had always been fond of our country. I don't think she was trying to "mock" our accent but was just making a joke that was taken the wrong way.

Since I was a teen I've been going to live gigs and festivals across the country so I've gained a lot of experience with performance and live music. All artists have bad performances occasionally. While they leave a bad taste in the mouth of the audience it's not fair to judge an artist based on this one poor show.

TerryG

TerryG said on the 18th Mar, 2012

I have been to most Mardi Gras since the 80's.. Though Ru Paul's show was not up too the usual standards we have seen in the past, we don't know what happened before the show to cause his mood. I missed the beginning of the show, though the end i thought ok, as for the joke i think you will find like most acts that come to OZ they all do an Aussie joke, he chose an old one about a prawn which some people most likely had never heard before. I have seen Ru perform a few times in the states & he does an amazing job, he is a perfectionist & looking at the video provided he did what he could with what was provided. Theres 2 sides to every story & i think we need someone to come forward & explain truthfully what happened back stage. What's happening to the Gay community that we are turning on each other, take a chill pill people.